Author Topic: Stero trinocular microscope. Amscope, Which one?  (Read 26542 times)

Offline Radio TechTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
Stero trinocular microscope. Amscope, Which one?
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:38:11 pm »
Ok guys. I know this horse has been beat to death. So here goes.
I know nothing about microscopes. I do not know about the lenses and stuff. But I do know what I like.

Will be working on circuit boards and using it to help shoot my YouTube videos.
I was looking on this page:
http://www.amscope.com/stereo-microscopes/dissecting-stereo-microscopes.html?dir=asc&order=price.

One I was looking at was this: Will link picture.
20X-40X-80X Trinocular Boom Stereo Microscope + Fluorescent Light
SKU: SW-3T24Z-FRL
 $673.43 $299.98 

So I like to stay in the 250 to 325 US dollar range. Was going to purchase today but though I would ask first and be happy later.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 11:24:55 pm by Radio Tech »

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
Re: Stero trinocular microscope. Amscope, Which one?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 12:53:12 am »
Ok, I think I made my mind up. This one comes with camera.
Not the best camera but will do in a pinch.

http://www.amscope.com/20x-40x-80x-boom-stand-stereo-microscope-fluorescent-light-camera.html

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:55:17 am by Radio Tech »

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 01:10:16 am »
Hi

Get the Amscope and see how you like the light. Some people are very happy with it. Others find they need more illumination. There is no reason to get a fancy light if you don't need it. They are as cheap bought as an add on as part of a microscope package.

Take a look at the stand and the room on your bench. If you have room for the double arm stand, that's fine. It's a big monster and I find them a bit more than I have room for. They are nice and stable for movies.

There are about a dozen threads on the various ins and outs of these scopes. If you have a week of spare time, dig into them. Bottom line - the Amscope is a pretty good deal.

Bob

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 01:18:54 am »
Thanks uncle_bob.
Yeah I been reading for the past couple of days. So much it started to confuse me. So many opinions.
Guess that is the good thing about them, if you do not like the light and camera you can always upgrade.
But for what I can see on this last one I posted it appears to be what I need.

Thanks again.

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 01:37:28 am »

http://www.amscope.com/20x-40x-80x-boom-stand-stereo-microscope-fluorescent-light-camera.html

I got an Amscope and I am satisfied with it.  Mine is a binocular one I bought quick one night when it was inexplicably listed on Amazon for $89.99.  The next day it was back up at $189.    I kind of wish I got the Trinocular one with the camera, but then that would have been more than 4 times the price.

Here's the one I got:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0080M11Y4

I'm guessing that if you are not satisfied with the camera it could be replaced with a better one in the future.  Maybe.  I guess that depends on if there is a standard for the optics on microscope cameras...

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 01:39:30 am »
Hi

I would spend another $15 or so and go for the two tube mount arm. It's no bigger than the one on the scope you show. It is more stable. For movies / pictures that's important.

You will probably find the included light OK for normal work. It's a bit under powered for work with a camera.

Bob

The following users thanked this post: Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 01:47:31 am »
Hi

I would spend another $15 or so and go for the two tube mount arm. It's no bigger than the one on the scope you show. It is more stable. For movies / pictures that's important.

You will probably find the included light OK for normal work. It's a bit under powered for work with a camera.

Bob

Did you see one with the two arms for 15 more? I saw some but no camera on them.
Thanks

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 01:48:38 am »

I got an Amscope and I am satisfied with it.  Mine is a binocular one I bought quick one night when it was inexplicably listed on Amazon for $89.99.  The next day it was back up at $189.    I kind of wish I got the Trinocular one with the camera, but then that would have been more than 4 times the price.

Here's the one I got:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0080M11Y4

I'm guessing that if you are not satisfied with the camera it could be replaced with a better one in the future.  Maybe.  I guess that depends on if there is a standard for the optics on microscope cameras...

That was a pretty good deal. Even those it has no camera port. For general work it would be fine.
Thanks

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 01:50:49 am »
Hi

Bob

Hi

Yes, it has a slightly different part number. The price delta between the stands is quite low. It is mentioned in one of the many threads and I confirmed it in my searching a month or two ago. It takes a good hour or two to sort through all the models and prices.....

Bob

Did you see one with the two arms for 15 more? I saw some but no camera on them.
Thanks

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 03:55:55 am »

Just a suggestion, I'd very strongly recommend going for a zoom microscope with continuously variable magnification from  7.5 to 45 and add a 0.5x barlow lens.

For fine pitch stuff I solder at lowish magnification (5x) and then zoom in to inspect with the twist of a knob on the side of the microscope.

You're lucky you are in the USA, the shipping cost me almost as much as the microscope.

The following users thanked this post: Psi

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 09:14:16 am »

Just a suggestion, I'd very strongly recommend going for a zoom microscope with continuously variable magnification from  7.5 to 45 and add a 0.5x barlow lens.

For fine pitch stuff I solder at lowish magnification (5x) and then zoom in to inspect with the twist of a knob on the side of the microscope.

You're lucky you are in the USA, the shipping cost me almost as much as the microscope.

Now that is the information that I would have missed.  Thanks for taking the time to reply and tell me this.
Yes very lucky with the shipping here.
Now to go back and search their site more for one with a zoom.

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 09:44:23 am »
For illumination I added two ikea lamps, one on either side. I removed the base and mounted them to the scope base. Good illumination, easily positioned, no heat and no shadows. Lamps were cheap, au$15 each. I did find bright ones at office works (210 lumen) after I'd used the idea ones (70 lumen).

http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/60169661/

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 09:56:16 am »
That's the one i got, but i bought it through aliexpress (exactly same thing though)
Paid $582 inc DHL shipping
I really love it, works well and its so handy being able to just push it out of the way when its not needed.

I recommend getting the 0.5x barlow lens attachment, its like $20
Gives you a huge amount more working distance and the minimum stock zoom is a bit too much anyway. Since you have variable zoom there's plenty of room to zoom in even with the 0.5 lens on.

Did the same as you, blew budget to get a better mounting system on it instead of a camera.
We got the fixed mount version of this microscope at work for $400 inc shipping with a camera, but the camera is a bit shit. It's HDMI/USB2 and works ok, but the optics could be better. So waiting a bit and buying a better camera is a good plan.

Have been trying various ways to assemble the thing to see what i prefer. (you will see what i mean if you compare mine to the stock image)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-3-5X-90X-DOUBLE-BOOM-STAND-TRINOCULAR-STEREO-ZOOM-MICROSCOPE/565564367.html

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:08:58 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 11:35:08 am »
Thanks PSI for that information. Very nice.

I found this one at a cheaper price. But it is 7x instead of 3.5x.
What difference will this make?

http://www.amscope.com/7x-45x-trinocular-stereo-zoom-microscope-with-double-arm-boom-stand.html

7X-45X Trinocular Stereo Zoom Microscope with Double Arm Boom Stand
SKU: SM-4T
Availability: In stock

$799.96    $359.00 

•7X-45X continuous stereo zoom magnification power
•Super widefield optics provides crystal stereo erect images
•1-1/4" (33mm) SUPER widefield of view and 4" (100mm) working distance
•3D boom stand allowing point microscope head in any direction desired
•Trinocular port for adding photo/video capability

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 12:07:10 pm »
Thanks PSI for that information. Very nice.

That's the same body as I have, except mine is binocular.

If you add a 0.5x Barlow lens to that it would be ideal.
In my opinion 7x is too high for a minimum magnification.

Adding a Barlow lens (0.5x) will halve your magnification , roughly double your working distance and double your width of field view. All gains, no drawbacks.

This advice was given to me by Ian and others on this forum and was spot on.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:09:21 pm by DTJ »

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 12:28:10 pm »

That's the same body as I have, except mine is binocular.

If you add a 0.5x Barlow lens to that it would be ideal.
In my opinion 7x is too high for a minimum magnification.

Adding a Barlow lens (0.5x) will halve your magnification , roughly double your working distance and double your width of field view. All gains, no drawbacks.

This advice was given to me by Ian and others on this forum and was spot on.

That's good to hear. So I can order that one and an 0.5x barlow lens. Should have enough money left for a cheap camera. That part can always be upgraded later.

Thanks for this information.

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 01:00:04 pm »

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 08:06:27 pm »
Thanks, much cheaper than Amscopes lens.

Scope ordered.

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 08:46:58 pm »
That's good to hear. So I can order that one and an 0.5x barlow lens. Should have enough money left for a cheap camera. That part can always be upgraded later.

A bit of a side note...when I bought my Amscope, I emailed them directly and subsequently emailed back and forth to one of their sales rep's for awhile, and that sales rep...for a rather refreshing change...was very helpful in helping me figure out what I wanted/needed and even hooked me up with a bit of a camera upgrade in the process.
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 09:46:48 pm »

A bit of a side note...when I bought my Amscope, I emailed them directly and subsequently emailed back and forth to one of their sales rep's for awhile, and that sales rep...for a rather refreshing change...was very helpful in helping me figure out what I wanted/needed and even hooked me up with a bit of a camera upgrade in the process.
Yes, this morning I emailed them. A guy named Nico responded. he was very helpful. Did not get any discounts but still was a pleasure to deal with.

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 10:53:35 pm »
I got Karl.  Same...same...
One of the best $1200 I ever spent.
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 04:48:05 am »
FYI, unless things have changed very recently, it appears that Amscope cheaps out on the stand by omitting the hard chrome plating on the boom arm(s).

The upper arm is the one that rides on ball bearings. If you take apart the stand (little imperial hex head worm screws on the right side), you can slide the arm out and look at the sleeve bearings. There are two of them, one fore, one aft. If you turn the front bearing so the star points up and the back bearing so the star points down, this will keep the slightly-undersized and unhardened rod centered between the 4 rows of ball bearings (considering the balance of the microscope under rest/use). This makes it smoother in operation and results in a longer life before the rod becomes galled.

Be sure to lift up on the head a little when moving the boom in/out, to take some weight off the bearings.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 04:51:17 am by KL27x »

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 06:05:26 am »
Quote from: KL27x
FYI, unless things have changed very recently, it appears that Amscope cheaps out on the stand by omitting the hard chrome plating on the boom arm(s).
Be sure to lift up on the head a little when moving the boom in/out, to take some weight off the bearings. 
I have the original hard chrome version from ages ago. Even that needs graphite dust occasionally. Even so, lifting the head is a MUST. It's a lot of weight.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 08:13:56 am »

Micrscope is the same thing, just with or without the 0.5 barlow lens included.
Some sellers ship the x0.5 with the microscope and advertise it as 3.5x
Mine came with the x0.5 and the 2x lens.

Adding the x0.5 makes a huge difference to the working distance, it's ~16cm. Plenty of room to get the iron in.
From memory its like half that without any barlow lens.
It really is a win/win for electronics use. You get to zoom out more and fit more PCB in the field of view and get awesome working distance.  You lose the ability to zoom in as far, but the microscope head has more zoom than needed anyway, so it doesnt matter.

Side note: The 2x barlow makes the working distance like 1 inch. LOL
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:20:54 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf