Author Topic: Surveillance camera recommendations  (Read 1870 times)

Offline mtdocTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Surveillance camera recommendations
« on: February 22, 2018, 08:20:08 pm »
Yesterday I had 2 packages stolen from our mailbox.  We live in a somewhat rural area.  I'm thinking of getting a outdoor surveillance camera.  It will need to be very weatherproof - lots or rain, wind, low temps and snow in winter. Will need Wifi and SD card capability.

Anyone with recommendations?

I'm considering this one.  Would probably power it with batteries - it would be mounted on a tree.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:22:54 pm by mtdoc »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Surveillance camera recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 11:40:46 pm »
That one looks interesting. So your mailbox is far from your house correct?
Personally would not touch anything other than Hikvision or maybe Dahua, but the equivalent model is much more expensive (I use DS-2CD2535F-IWS or DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS but its different form factor).

If the vstarcam is using 12W continuous (probably a bit less), you'll get 45hr life out of a 45Ahr car battery.
Reviews look good: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vstarcam-C16S-Full-HD-1080P-IP-Camera-4mm-Lens-IP67-Waterproof-Indoor-Outdoor-Camera-IR-Night/32827834540.html
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:36:38 am »
How do you know they were stolen as opposed to not delivered? Make sure you are solving the real problem.

Because someone found the ripped open packaging lying in the road 1/2 mile away. One package (clothing) had tracking showing delivery by post office (which I trust).  The other, ironically, was an inexpensive USB camera from Banggood.

As for a camera, you could put a dummy one in the tree with a sign on the mailbox that says "Look up into the tree so I can get a clear image of your face".  :)

Personally I'd try and keep it simple and try a low end dashcam or gopro knockoff triggered by the mailbox being opened.

I considered a dummy camera and may put one up while awaiting installation of a real one. In either case I will put up a small warning sign on the mailbox.

I think if I'm going to go to the trouble of installing one, I'm gonna put one up that not only monitors the mailbox but my adjacent driveway and the road entrance. That way it will be able to record any suspicious activity  These will trigger on motion and save to an SD card in a loop fashion.

When I called to report the incident to the Sheriff's office, they asked if any of my neighbor's have video surveillance. They don't.   I live in an area with about 30 homes that are several miles from any other homes. Several of the homes are used part time.  I have close neighbors but the homes on either side of me are not currently occupied. One neighbor had items stolen from their mail box 2 months ago.

That one looks interesting. So your mailbox is far from your house correct?
Mailbox and road are only about 100 feet or so (30m) from my home.

If the vstarcam is using 12W continuous (probably a bit less), you'll get 45hr life out of a 45Ahr car battery.

That's what the power supply is rated at.  I doubt it is using that much. - but that is something I would test.  If needed I would set up with small PV to keep battery charged. Could also run power from nearby garage.

Reviews look good: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vstarcam-C16S-Full-HD-1080P-IP-Camera-4mm-Lens-IP67-Waterproof-Indoor-Outdoor-Camera-IR-Night/32827834540.html

Thanks for the link. That's a better price!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:38:14 am by mtdoc »

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 09:14:12 am »
Where will you store the video?
Note that many of these cheap camera's are a significant vulnerability to your network, many even phoning home regularly, doing whatever.

I have a some of Foscams attached to my Synology Surveillance Station. This works. But I have blocked the Foscams from internet access in my Mikrotik, and I can see they still keep transmitting amounts of data to the web.

Maybe also watch some of Louis Rossman video's about CCTV systems. Because having a video of your parcel being stolen does not give you any useful info if you can't recognize the person or car. It just tells you what you already know, for a price.
Link
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:18:00 am by Jeroen3 »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 10:31:24 pm »
Where will you store the video?
Note that many of these cheap camera's are a significant vulnerability to your network, many even phoning home regularly, doing whatever.

I have a some of Foscams attached to my Synology Surveillance Station. This works. But I have blocked the Foscams from internet access in my Mikrotik, and I can see they still keep transmitting amounts of data to the web.

The video is stored on the SD card, thats the great thing about these cameras. No need for an NVR or NAS.

If he has a good router he could do the same limited access. Its also possible the camera can operate as AP only, then its irrelevant.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 01:00:28 am »
The video is stored on the SD card, thats the great thing about these cameras. No need for an NVR or NAS.

Which is cool as you only need to take the camera with you and there's no evidence left behind.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 02:35:10 am »

Which is cool as you only need to take the camera with you and there's no evidence left behind.

Except that they can be set up to send a picture via wifi to email when motion is detected.

Also, in my case, they'll need a tall ladder to reach the camera - which in my neighborhood would arouse suspicion.

I really just need  a deterrent anyways.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf