Author Topic: T12 soldering iron options: Genuine FX-951 vs fake vs others  (Read 4890 times)

Offline Signal32Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,

I was thinking about getting a new soldering iron based on the T12 tips because of the lighter weight handpiece and the faster tip temperature regulation.
Is the faster temperature regulation really noticeable or more of a marketing feature ?

I'm considering the following options:
Genuine Hakko FX-951 $200 +
Fake FX-951 ~60 on AliExpress
DYI T12 Kit  ~$20 on AliExpress

My questions are:
- Are there any major differences between the genuine and fake ones(except for the auto sleep feature) ? Like actual power, regulation speed, etc.
- Is there a big difference in genuine vs fake tips ?
- Any noticeable differences in the fake vs genuine handpiece ?

Also, does anyone know of a non-button-based version of a T12 soldering station ( I don't like clicking to set temperature ). The DIY kit is like that, it has a rotary encoder.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 09:01:46 pm by Signal32 »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: T12 soldering iron options: Genuine FX-951 vs fake vs others
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 11:34:20 pm »
I was thinking about getting a new soldering iron based on the T12 tips because of the lighter weight handpiece and the faster tip temperature regulation.
Is the faster temperature regulation really noticeable or more of a marketing feature ?
The genuine tips from Hakko are the T15 series for the US & EU markets, and the T12 series is for Japan, Oceania, Asia & Other countries. Not sure what the differences are.

Yes, faster recovery is quite noticeable.

- Are there any major differences between the genuine and fake ones(except for the auto sleep feature) ? Like actual power, regulation speed, etc.
- Is there a big difference in genuine vs fake tips ?
- Any noticeable differences in the fake vs genuine handpiece ?
1. There are definitely differences internally, and I'd bet it would be revealed in a head-to-head comparison, particularly when pushed hard.
2. Yes. The plating on the genuine tips are thicker and last longer.
3. ?  Not sure if they get too uncomfortable to hold or not during prolonged periods of use.  :-//

Also, does anyone know of a non-button-based version of a T12 soldering station ( I don't like clicking to set temperature ). The DIY kit is like that, it has a rotary encoder.
Hakko FX-950 is an analog version of the FX-951, with fewer features as well (not available in the US though).

Offline stj

• Super Contributor

Offline Signal32Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 03:14:16 am »
The genuine tips from Hakko are the T15 series for the US & EU markets, and the T12 series is for Japan, Oceania, Asia & Other countries. Not sure what the differences are.
From what I'm finding online they may be interchangeable, not sure though, I've found sources that say their might be some differences.

1. There are definitely differences internally, and I'd bet it would be revealed in a head-to-head comparison, particularly when pushed hard.
Indeed, I'm sure they are completely different designs.

Hakko FX-950 is an analog version of the FX-951, with fewer features as well (not available in the US though).
Yes, I can't seem to be able to find it anywhere :(, not even China clones seem to be available.

you should probably look at this!!!
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7218
I've decided to try to build a mini-station based on the T12 tips myself. I'll try to see if I can get the tips to take ~150W without exploding :). I want the extra power to be able to do fast resume-from-sleep.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 04:11:17 am »
I've decided to try to build a mini-station based on the T12 tips myself. I'll try to see if I can get the tips to take ~150W without exploding :). I want the extra power to be able to do fast resume-from-sleep.
Based on what I've seen in videos from owners, it's not necessary (i.e. up to full temp in ~10s or less from room temp, and if idled at say 150C, it's up to temp in ~4 - 6s). Varies a bit by tip shape (mass), but not drastically. Not like it takes minutes as a firestick or even 30s - 1m that an el cheapo crappy clone might take.

Seriously, the performance difference between what you have and an FX-951 is drastic.

Also, PM sent.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 09:10:29 am »
I'll try to see if I can get the tips to take ~150W without exploding

the only way to do that would be to increase the voltage - make sure everything in it's path can take the extra.
it would be sad if you blew up a bunch of expensive op-amps or shorted the regulator and trashed the mcu!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf