Author Topic: T12 Soldering Iron Clone Kit  (Read 33540 times)

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
Re: T12 Soldering Iron Clone Kit
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 06:26:16 pm »
why do you have what looks like a low-voltage power inlet on the back??
btw, those cant handle more than about 2a before the contacts burn - i learned that the hard way.

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 06:32:36 pm »
Control Board:

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2017, 06:34:32 pm »
why do you have what looks like a low-voltage power inlet on the back??
btw, those cant handle more than about 2a before the contacts burn - i learned that the hard way.

What is the connector you talking about? the AC IN connector?

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2017, 10:57:17 pm »
next to the mains inlet.

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2017, 11:33:10 pm »
next to the mains inlet.

The DC jack?
It's a standard DC jack, i have cut and bent the pins to better fit. Still i don't use external psu. Is just there to fill the gap.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2017, 08:49:47 pm »
2.54mm pitch connectors are not suitable for high current, they should have used 3.96mm stuff.

JST XH is rated for 3A, 10-20mOhm, it should be OK.
Of course that is assuming they used the correct gauge wire, crimps, and properly crimped them..
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline leonerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 10:26:03 pm »
I've just built up one of these kits - mine was from AliExpress -
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/T12-KU-ILS-B2-BC2-STM32-2-1S-OLED-Station-Case-Electronic-Soldering-Iron-220v-70w/32788177785.html and came with a PSU and metal case, including a custom milled aluminium front panel.

I have to say I'm impressed with the build quality of this one. I haven't suffered any of the issues people further up mention about bad fitting of the plastic case. I did have to drill mounting holes for the PSU myself, but I kindof expected that out of a DIY kit. I'll get some teardown (or are they buildup?) photos and attach them here tomorrow.

Mine does seem to suffer the same problem that everyone else cites, with the lack of earth connection through to the metal front panel and hence to the rotary encoder or the PE line of the socket to the soldering tip itself. This does make it fail electrical safety so currently I'm not actually using it yet. I'll probably get around to adding a link cable directly onto the back socket - though I've seen some people put a 1M resistor in there so it's ESD-safe without being a direct short to earth, thus making it much less problematic to work on powered-up equipment. What does anyone think?

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2017, 12:02:29 am »
I've just built up one of these kits - mine was from AliExpress -
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/T12-KU-ILS-B2-BC2-STM32-2-1S-OLED-Station-Case-Electronic-Soldering-Iron-220v-70w/32788177785.html and came with a PSU and metal case, including a custom milled aluminium front panel.

I have to say I'm impressed with the build quality of this one. I haven't suffered any of the issues people further up mention about bad fitting of the plastic case. I did have to drill mounting holes for the PSU myself, but I kindof expected that out of a DIY kit. I'll get some teardown (or are they buildup?) photos and attach them here tomorrow.

Mine does seem to suffer the same problem that everyone else cites, with the lack of earth connection through to the metal front panel and hence to the rotary encoder or the PE line of the socket to the soldering tip itself. This does make it fail electrical safety so currently I'm not actually using it yet. I'll probably get around to adding a link cable directly onto the back socket - though I've seen some people put a 1M resistor in there so it's ESD-safe without being a direct short to earth, thus making it much less problematic to work on powered-up equipment. What does anyone think?

Did you measure real temperature with a external device?
I still see connectors and crimped wires, so i still recommend to direct solder everything. Even if you think it's ok you will improve your equipement futher by do so

Offline leonerd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2017, 01:32:21 pm »

I'm not really sure how is best to make precise measurements of it - I don't have one of those dedicated solder tip thermometers. I have a K-type thermocouple and a meter that's itself waaaay past calibration, and I have a non-contact IR thermometer that isn't so good for fine points, more just areas.

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2017, 04:48:03 pm »

I'm not really sure how is best to make precise measurements of it - I don't have one of those dedicated solder tip thermometers. I have a K-type thermocouple and a meter that's itself waaaay past calibration, and I have a non-contact IR thermometer that isn't so good for fine points, more just areas.

K-Type will do:

• Clean iron tip well
  • Tin tip with a good amount of solder
  • Put the head of the probe in the tip where the melt solder is
  • Wait utill temperature stabilize
  • This should gave you a good temperature value (It work for me with same temperature as tip meter equipement)

Test under 300ºc, 350ºc and 400ºc with a medium tip, don't use round tips or small ones.
If your measure are correct at 300ºc and 350ºc but can't reach the 400ºc you need to improve your station wires, you can even try at 450ºc but not important to reach that temperature

As calibration try to find the offset of it and see if offset is always the same in different temperature ranges

See this for cheap meters: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/(tip)-best-budgetcheap-soldering-stations-and-tools/
Is always usefull to have them and not break your bank, never trust DIY default calibration, even expensive stations sometimes need calibration, my ersa come with a offset of 10ºc. Thats huge for me.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 04:56:42 pm by sn4k3 »

Offline TT_Vert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2018, 07:31:35 pm »
Hey guys I have a quick question for you on this.  Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the bottom right temp setting is (See my pic)?  It is tied to the thermistor in the handle but I have no idea what value this provides, if any.  Also what does changing the tip setting in the software accomplish?

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2018, 08:15:52 pm »
Hey guys I have a quick question for you on this.  Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the bottom right temp setting is (See my pic)?  It is tied to the thermistor in the handle but I have no idea what value this provides, if any.  Also what does changing the tip setting in the software accomplish?

That temperature should be the ambient temperature, please check.
Tip selection is usefull because different tips have different masses, and heat performance will vary, so you can set offsets per tip, eg: you set station to 350ºc but with offsets you can change temperature just for that tip +5ºc because you know 350ºc will be like 345ºc using that tip for example. Usefull for large tips and tiny tips.

Also i notice you working with 480ºc? That will kill tips very fast... If 350ºc can't do the job you may need to calibrate the station
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:18:53 pm by sn4k3 »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline TT_Vert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2018, 08:19:48 pm »
What is the purpose of ambient temp?  I have confirmed that the bottom right temp does change when I apply heat to the thermistor but does it serve any purpose?  Just to tell you that the ID of the handle may be a tad warm?  It'll never be as high as the tip temp in fact I think it probably will only sway 10C or so from being stationary to being held. 

So there is a setting within this unit to set temp offset on a per tip basis?  Do you have a tip temp measurement device so you can accurately set this?  I see no other way to modify any temp offset.  Have you, or anyone else, come across a manual for this thing and what all of it's settings do?

BTW, that's just a stock photo I modified to display what I was asking.  My iron is not working as they sent me a tip holder w/ a broken + tab at the heater element so I'm waiting for that.  And also looking for one local but no luck there yet.

Thanks much

Dave
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:24:56 pm by TT_Vert »

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2018, 09:22:25 pm »
Do you have a tip temp measurement device so you can accurately set this?

Look for "solder tip thermometer" on your favorite sites if you want a purpose-built device.
Or you can use a meter that has a thermocouple probe.
Or you can use the known melting point of whatever solder you use to calibrate at that temperature.

Offline TT_Vert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2018, 09:29:14 pm »
Ah yes I do have a temp probe for my meter I forgot.  I'm unsure how accurate that is and itf it'll accept that hot a temp but i'll give that a go.

Dave

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2018, 07:44:03 pm »
Has anyone compared the T12 iron kit to the TS100 portable iron. Thermal performance etc. I've read good things about the TS100. I'm wondering if the T12 works as well. I'm also wondering about tip life and quality. Seems like the TS100 tips are good quality. Not sure about the T12 tips?

Offline TuxKey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2018, 03:13:50 pm »
Hi everyone ..

Wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this T12 cloon unit..
(i felt this could be a good second option that fits in this topic)

What i like about it is the following:

1) no assembly required , simple unit looks like the control board and that's it.
2) providing your own good quality power supply feels much saver then using a cheap one from China.
3) the seller assures me that the connection is 5.5*2.5 so you could use the same power brick of a TS100
4) seller assures me the unit is esd save / the tip is grounded..
5) seems to be compatible with original Hakko T12 tips .. (if i understand the Russian vid correctly)

Main problem i have with the TS100 is that the TS-D24 chisel tip is to big. i have seen people use T12 tips on the TS100 but i'm a bit unsure about doing this as i heard the mosfet of the TS100 is sensitive..

here is the product link on AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KSGER-Aluminum-Alloy-Handle-T12-STM32-OLED-Soldering-Iron-Station-V3-0-DIY-Electric-Tools-Stings/32878522554.html

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2018, 06:14:23 pm »
Hi everyone ..

Wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this T12 cloon unit..
(i felt this could be a good second option that fits in this topic)

What i like about it is the following:

1) no assembly required , simple unit looks like the control board and that's it.
2) providing your own good quality power supply feels much saver then using a cheap one from China.
3) the seller assures me that the connection is 5.5*2.5 so you could use the same power brick of a TS100
4) seller assures me the unit is esd save / the tip is grounded..
5) seems to be compatible with original Hakko T12 tips .. (if i understand the Russian vid correctly)

Main problem i have with the TS100 is that the TS-D24 chisel tip is to big. i have seen people use T12 tips on the TS100 but i'm a bit unsure about doing this as i heard the mosfet of the TS100 is sensitive..

here is the product link on AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KSGER-Aluminum-Alloy-Handle-T12-STM32-OLED-Soldering-Iron-Station-V3-0-DIY-Electric-Tools-Stings/32878522554.html

3) That is almost always true
4) That is not so true, you always need dissemble and check, but with that unit you will not have grounded tip, because you lack of earth connection, DC jack only have + and -, seller is maybe refering to GND, tip is connected to GND but that is not the same as earthed. At best you need to connect GND to Earth on the PSU
5) They are.

You can use T12 tips with TS100 with a small 3d printed part. Don't know if recent units have the mosfet problem but so far i haven't seen any on the units i use or sell.

I don't know why that station is so expensive, maybe because of the handle? Never seen or tried that handle but it can make the difference.

Please note that TS100 is not earthed either at best they are connected to GND, and is only ESD safe if you use the screw and a power supply with the earth connected to GND.

About TS100 tips you can try the 2mm conical tip B2, or TS-I, they are good for small things

The following users thanked this post: TuxKey

Offline TuxKey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2018, 09:31:53 pm »

3) That is almost always true
4) That is not so true, you always need dissemble and check, but with that unit you will not have grounded tip, because you lack of earth connection, DC jack only have + and -, seller is maybe refering to GND, tip is connected to GND but that is not the same as earthed. At best you need to connect GND to Earth on the PSU
5) They are.

You can use T12 tips with TS100 with a small 3d printed part. Don't know if recent units have the mosfet problem but so far i haven't seen any on the units i use or sell.

I don't know why that station is so expensive, maybe because of the handle? Never seen or tried that handle but it can make the difference.

Please note that TS100 is not earthed either at best they are connected to GND, and is only ESD safe if you use the screw and a power supply with the earth connected to GND.

About TS100 tips you can try the 2mm conical tip B2, or TS-I, they are good for small things

Thanks for your help sn4k3.
a while back i saw Louis Rossmann review the TS100 and he mentioned the Grip for Hakko tips.
but i was afraid i would damage the mosfet.. still there is a way to replace it if it does.. but then i would need a second iron hahaha..
here is the thingverse link for the 3d printed part.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2739632

i downloaded the file and uploaded it to shapeways.com because they also ship from The Netherlands..
so that could be an option.

about the grounded part. i just returned a power supply i bought for my TS100 because it was not grounded.
i heard people call it "floating psu". i'm going to order a new one from Mean well "GSM90A24-P1M" that one should be ok..
the spec sheet says "-V connected to AC FG" it's a 24V 3.75A.. so the - minus will be grounded in that unit.

so this unit has a minus that goes to the dc jack i'm ok..
for my TS100 i was planning to follow the example of Rooster.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/ts100-doesn_t-function-properly-when-earthed/msg1493014/#msg1493014

about the price of the unit.. i could get the one with the plastic blue handle that one costs €32,22 instead of the €48,42 but i thought €16 for a nice handle why not..
here's the plastic one.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32850601075.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.221a2e0ealCBe5

To make the TS100 compatible with T12 tips i would need the following.
1) Hakko sleeve  in the Netherlands  that would cost me €7,50 + €9 shipping = €16,50 (second option would be via china)
2) 3d printed part shapeways $5 plus $6 shipping  = €11

So in total i would spend €27,50 for that upgrade..i'm afraid that ordering the sleeve from china (aliexpress) it would not fit as good ???

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2018, 09:54:15 pm »
a while back i saw Louis Rossmann review the TS100 and he mentioned the Grip for Hakko tips.
but i was afraid i would damage the mosfet.. still there is a way to replace it if it does.. but then i would need a second iron hahaha..
here is the thingverse link for the 3d printed part.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2739632

I don't know the both tip resistance, but if they are the same or T12 have a higher resistance that would not be a problem.

about the grounded part. i just returned a power supply i bought for my TS100 because it was not grounded.
i heard people call it "floating psu". i'm going to order a new one from Mean well "GSM90A24-P1M" that one should be ok..
the spec sheet says "-V connected to AC FG" it's a 24V 3.75A.. so the - minus will be grounded in that unit.

Carefull with fakes, if buy from reputable source then no problem.

so this unit has a minus that goes to the dc jack i'm ok..
for my TS100 i was planning to follow the example of Rooster.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/ts100-doesn_t-function-properly-when-earthed/msg1493014/#msg1493014

Thats a good thing to do, flexible cable is the best mod  you can do on ts100.
I'm selling ready to use power unit for 2 TS100 but maybe out of your budget: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183179397286
It's also Earted with V- but i can deliver with that clip to attach to TS100 ESD screw and T12 adaptor

about the price of the unit.. i could get the one with the plastic blue handle that one costs €32,22 instead of the €48,42 but i thought €16 for a nice handle why not..
here's the plastic one.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32850601075.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.221a2e0ealCBe5

Go with op handle, i have that plastic handle and other clone and i don't really like it, don't fells good for me and sometime tip not good inserted in the socket, give a try to that metal handle.

To make the TS100 compatible with T12 tips i would need the following.
1) Hakko sleeve  in the Netherlands  that would cost me €7,50 + €9 shipping = €16,50 (second option would be via china)
2) 3d printed part shapeways $5 plus $6 shipping  = €11

So in total i would spend €27,50 for that upgrade..i'm afraid that ordering the sleeve from china (aliexpress) it would not fit as good ???

Hakko sleeve from china will do, maybe they are the same (Clones)
I can send you that printed part for 7€ using normal post (no tracking) with tracking cost will be the same as shapeways so stick with the nearest solution
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:57:36 pm by sn4k3 »

Offline TuxKey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2018, 10:15:32 pm »
@sn4k3

The power supply actually looks good.. and to be honest with you ..i just canceled my order will think it all true.. ahhah..pff

i already got sum nice silicone cable.. from ebay 3m i only need 1m.. wanted to get sum spare..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Twin-Core-Silicone-Rubber-Cable-2x0-4mm-Conductors-6amp-DC-Wiring-Cord/152000411964?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

my wife just called me crazy .. for the 3 projects i have lined up , she told me to try using the big TS-D24 see if i can manage..
if Wodan can use it to build a keyboard i should be able to manage..
https://youtu.be/ygq3XDGLGuE

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2018, 05:04:34 am »
Well i still don't know what you tring to make or what need to be soldered, but sometimes is more a question of pratice and a large tip can still be used for small jobs. But don't worry, the more tools you have the better  8)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 05:06:17 am by sn4k3 »

Offline TuxKey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2018, 08:06:39 am »
thanks sn4k3...
the order  still stands hahah ..well i don't care.. your right a spare iron won't be a waist...

i want to assemble mechanical keyboard kits ..and have fun with a couple of electronic kits to start of with...
later on will see..just have fun basically.probably overkill.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:08:12 am by TuxKey »

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2018, 11:25:53 am »
i prefer conical tips - aka spikes.

you can solder small stuff with the end, and big heavy stuff with the side of it.
my most used tip is type "BL"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf