Author Topic: Teardown: Aiwa AD-WX828 Cassette Deck (Circa 1993)  (Read 20207 times)

Offline dexters_labTopic starter

• Supporter
Teardown: Aiwa AD-WX828 Cassette Deck (Circa 1993)
« on: February 02, 2014, 02:49:03 pm »
Quick look inside some old tech...

This is an Awia dual cassette deck from around 1993, it was purchased new by me back in the day. I think i recall it was £299 or maybe £199, i dont remember too well!  :-//

It was out of my possession for a good 10 years after it was loaned to my brother who then returned it so thought i'd pull it apart.

Includes all logic controls, Dolby B, C & HX-Pro, it provides rec/play on deck 2 and play only on deck 1. The higher WX929 model was identical but provided recording on both decks. You can see on the pics the missing components on the left hand side.

Its pretty simple construction, usual pressed steel case. The cassette mechanisms are easily removable so are likely used in other Aiwa cassette systems of the day. They use a series of cams along with the main capstan drive and two electromagnets to provide the tape drive, head load/unload and reverse. If i recall correctly many of the auto-reverse systems used a 4 track head so only the tape direction needs to be changed, but on this unit the head is mechanically turned around to align with the tracks for the other side.

The display is a nice VFD driven from a front-panel board using a Sanyo LC866016A microcontroller, contains 16kb ROM, 384b RAM, 16bit timers, 4 8bit AD channels. It runs at 12Mhz. http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/63437/HITACHI/HA12155NT.html

The analog board in addition to the audio play/record functions also contains a Hitachi HA12155NT audio processor which provides all the Dolby features: http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/63437/HITACHI/HA12155NT.html

Aiwa service manual for AD-WX828 & AD-WX929: http://elektrotanya.com/aiwa_adwx828_adwx929.pdf/download.html

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Teardown: Aiwa AD-WX828 Cassette Deck (Circa 1993)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 03:05:05 pm »
Those decks are notorious for both breaking the plastic parts and they are a PITA to change belts on. I often resorted to taking the new belt and cutting through it and then threading it through then using superglue to join it again then finally slipping it over the capstan. Saved the 2 day battle to fit the kit of spring parts back together again. does yours have the (in)famous printed resistor parts on the main board. Bloody pain those were to fix, or rather to scrape off and replace with a less noisy resistor.

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:37:08 pm »
didn't see any printed resistors, though i didn't take out the main board and i guess they would be on the underside if they were there?

it does seem to be working ok, but trying to decide if i should put it in the attic or just take it to recycling! :-//

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 04:16:27 pm »
I have one as well, but how often do you listen to cassette tapes these days? I am every so often doing the tape to computer recording using a small USB cassette deck, and doing the same to LP records with a cheap USB record player. That at least handles the 78RPM records well. Did have to do some quick and dirty resampling with the 16 2/3 RPM records though.

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 04:31:18 pm »
exactly, when i originally loaned to my brother that was the time when i dispensed with everything analog and went mostly MiniDisk and CD. So i dont even have any tapes!

Lol, just checked the price of new-old-stock TDK MA-XG60's,  :wtf:

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 04:41:09 pm »
I dumped a few boxes of NOS video tapes late last year. 50 per box, never used. I know where they are though in the dump to about an accuracy of about 50m cubed though.

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 04:56:17 pm »
probably a good idea, unless they were top of the line SVHS tapes nobody is going to want them

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 05:09:11 pm »
They were plain vanilla E180 tapes, though they were good enough that I tried a few at SVHS by drilling the hole in the bottom. They were good enough not to drop out at the increased write current. My duplication masters were all TDK SVHS cassettes though, with a few Maxwell in there as well. Original masters were on Betacam SP, but a few were on Umatic tape. Still have 2 Sony Umatic recorders left around, at 50kg each they are not exactly portable. I would send one to Dave to tear down, but it would kill his postie delivering it, along with the severe damage to my wallet as well. $20 initial cost, plus $1 per 100g of mass for postage. OUCH!  |O  :wtf:

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 05:17:19 pm »
a long time ago i had a umatic player, it got binned but i really wish i'd saved the head drum. It would have made a great coaster or ashtray

it also would have made an interesting teardown video

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 05:49:43 pm »
When I take one apart I will send you the drum then.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 07:45:31 pm »
PM address then and I will keep it in mind.

Offline enes

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 10:06:39 pm »
Hello guys,

I have this cassete deck (AD-WX929), and it's still works well. BUT, I have one problem - my display was broken - not working. Nothing! Totally black. Everything else working well - it can play cassette tapes.

Maybe someone have this display, and don't need it....?  Also, I don't have POWER button... So if someone have this parts, maybe want to send it...? ::)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:09:09 pm by enes »

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 10:37:13 pm »
Hello guys,

I have this cassete deck (AD-WX929), and it's still works well. BUT, I have one problem - my display was broken - not working. Nothing! Totally black. Everything else working well - it can play cassette tapes.

Maybe someone have this display, and don't need it....?  Also, I don't have POWER button... So if someone have this parts, maybe want to send it...? ::)

PM me, i have been wondering what to do with it, might be tempted to take the screen out for you

Offline norsail

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 10:02:17 pm »
I own this cassette deck since many years and several years it was unusued. Now I tried to play a cassette the cassette didn't move although the motors are running. After opening the deck I saw, that one large black rupper belt was broken and the other one was winded around one of the wheels. So I have to replace them. Today I ordered new belts, but how they are to replace? I didn't start to demount the cassette mechanisms because I don't know how many rolls and springs and gears will jump towards me... Can somebody calm me??? I got the service manual also!

Offline enes

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 11:09:29 am »
I was recently successfully replace belts on this deck. Changing wide large belt is done for a couple minutes, BUT first you need to change other little belt  - and that is almost mission impossible.

I was first remove motor (unscrew just one screw), then I was little pull up electrical board, and carefully remove old belt. If yours was broken, you can cut it and just remove. Then CAREFULLY  place new little belt around black wheel (read text below!). Then I was pull and place belt on other side (beneath big wheel where goes large wide belt also). When you install that little belt on his place, you can return motor on his place, and relatively easy place large wide belt. This is easy job!

Pay attention when you pull up electrical board, and remove/place little belt! There you have one little switch (2 or 3 metal strips), and on black wheel you have..... hmm how to say...  tentacle/feeler/palpus/palp (I don't know how to say/write this :) ). THAT must be between two little metal strips. If not, cassette deck will start and then just turn off. Just be careful and don't brake that little switches (metal strips)!

It's not easy job, but it was possible. I not speak/write English well, but I hope so that you understand what I try to explain... If somehow I can additional help you, just ask.... and I will try to explain.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 12:16:01 pm »
I had a cheat on some that involved long flat belts threaded through half the chassis. I bought some Loctite flexible cyanocrylate adhesive ( black in colour in a small bottle) Loctite® Super Glue ULTRA Gel Control™ and used it to join the cut sections of the new belt after threading it through in the same orientation as the old one. Cut the new belt ( I used longer belts of the right width and thickness) with a sharp knife at an angle to give a large joint area and then use a pin to apply enough to join the 2 parts with the belt loose, then tension after curing. Worked well without having to take all those plastic parts and brittle clips apart.

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 11:34:05 am »
just had a look at my other mechanism, the larger belt is very easy to change, just remove the main drive motor, one screw as enes says.

The smaller belt can be removed carefully before you install the larger belt and motor, as enes says you have to get it past two small exposed switch contacts on a small leaf spring assembly, should be doable with a pair of tweezers.

Offline enes

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 08:36:28 pm »
Hello guys,

PM me, i have been wondering what to do with it, might be tempted to take the screen out for you

And FINALLY this parts arrived (after 2 weeks), and I must repair my deck at once :) Result: Thank to dexters_lab, my cassette deck is now full working and complete!  :-+

Changing display is not plug-n-play. I must remove display from electrical board, and solder it to my electrical board (this part for WD-828 not fit to WD-929  :o). Anyway, I successfully change it, and now display on my deck working!

Here some pictures :)

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 10:26:42 pm »
Pleased to see yours working properly now!

Offline kennik

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 10:44:16 am »
Does anybody know the dimensions of the belts..?
numbers 11 and 15 in the service manual..

Thank you..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf