Products > Other Equipment & Products

Teardown: EVGA Supernova 650 G3 ATX PSU

(1/1)

NiHaoMike:
I was recently asked by the staff at overclockers.com if I was interested in reviewing an ATX PSU and of course I was. They sent a review sample that I could tear down and keep, see the link for the full article:
https://www.overclockers.com/evga-supernova-650-g3-review/

That site's layout seems to have not been updated in well over a decade and is apparently designed for ancient 480p displays, so I'll attach the 1080p PCB images. I really think the layout should be redesigned to auto fit to the browser window, with the ability to click on a picture to expand it to original size. High resolution pictures are pretty important for teardowns.

m98:
A PSU named "Supernova", what could go wrong? :-DD

lordvader88:
Thats a different looking PSU for sure. Not have 2 or 3 main heatsinks across the witdth of the PCB. Very boxy transformer too.

IDK about the 650W models but some of the 750 and 850W gold rated supernova models are top notch, can't remember who they contracted for it, but overall very good from what I've read.

lordvader88:
Hmmm, custom chips, so far the PSUs I'm working on all have CM6800 for PFC and PWM, and various clones of 4 channel supervisor ICs like PS229

I'm scratching my head on a TX650W right now, it just cycles on/off/on/off like clockwork... and I don't know why. And I don't know the inner workings of the PS229 well enough to know if some voltage spikes are tripping the OV/UV. So I'm just continuing to map out the whole PSU, learning as I go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version