Author Topic: Teardown of a red light traffic enforcement camera  (Read 2177 times)

Offline dexters_labTopic starter

• Supporter
Teardown of a red light traffic enforcement camera
« on: May 27, 2015, 03:44:50 pm »
I picked up a Robot Foto TraffiPhot III-G which is a 'red light' traffic enforcement camera a few weeks ago and just did a basic teardown on it. It's an older type dating from the mid 1990s that used a large 35mm film cartridge.

Operationally they are installed normally in roadside boxes on a pole, very similar to speed cameras but are linked into traffic lights and inductive loops for triggering.

There wasn't much that was particularly of note inside, i guess they are just a flash on a timer but it's certainly well put together. The most complex part was the board to process the signal from the inductive loops that would be set into the road.

For some reason i wasn't able to get the camera to trigger, the flash works fine... there is a separate test for it but the camera refused to do anything even in the service mode which seemed contrary to the user guide i found, but that's in Italian so maybe i am missing something.

The camera assembly i am going to take apart in a separate video which seems to have exposure control and some tech to imprint data onto the picture.

I have romdumps of all but one of the memory devices, probably best not to post them up here though they will be copyrighted.

If anyone has any additional information i would be interested to know.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:59:48 pm by dexters_lab »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf