Author Topic: The Art of Electronics, 3rd edition, considered incomplete  (Read 3909 times)

Offline BlofeldTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Diamonds Are Forever
The Art of Electronics, 3rd edition, considered incomplete
« on: April 10, 2015, 08:28:44 am »
Now that I have your attention, let me stress that this is a great book of the highest quality, much more complete than most other books. There is, however, something that you should know before ordering the book (instead of having a "WTF?" moment when reading it):

The authors had made the decision to move some of the advanced material in some chapters on analog electronics into the upcoming book "The x-Chapters" which will be available in a few years. If they had not, there is no way that the book could have been finished by now.

These are the affected chapters:

Chapter 1: Foundations
Chapter 2: Bipolar Transistors
Chapter 3: Field-Effect Transistors
Chapter 4: Operational Amplifiers
Chapter 9: Voltage Regulation and Power Conversion

But even the book as it is now contains an incredible amount of information, probably too much for most people to digest.
In case you are interested, I have written more about the book in my review here:

http://www.wisewarthog.com/electronics/horowitz-hill-the-art-of-electronics-3rd-edition.html
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:03:32 pm by Blofeld »
My site www.wisewarthog.com and my Youtube channel (in progress). Links and reviews of books and free stuff.

Offline Blaffetuur

• Regular Contributor
Re: The Art of Electronics, 3rd edition, considered incomplete
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 09:36:51 am »
Is there any news on the release date of the student manual?

Offline BlofeldTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Diamonds Are Forever
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 09:50:29 am »
Is there any news on the release date of the student manual?

Dave said it would be around August 2015 (that was end of January):

http://www.eevblog.com/2015/01/29/the-art-of-electronics-3rd-edition-is-almost-here/

But the only thing that I found in the preface of the book is that it will be in 2015.
My site www.wisewarthog.com and my Youtube channel (in progress). Links and reviews of books and free stuff.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 12:36:54 pm »
i just got a digital copy of AOE3 and quickly compared it with AOE2. most chapters are rewritten, some figures and sub chapters are removed and added, its understandable. but the last 3 chapters are entirely missing...

13) HIGH FREQUENCY AND HIGH SPEED TECHNIQUES
14) LOW POWER DESIGN
15) MEASUREMENTS AND SIGNAL PROCESSING

these are not unimportant nor irrelevant subjects so i wonder if they will be included in X-version? if no, then this is a total disappointment, we cant throw aoe2 just yet and will use up more spaces. i searched in eevblog archive about the differences between aoe2 and 3 i cant find its mentioned how surprising. and i think this is the best thread to address it.

i got the answer here: https://www.cambridge.org/my/academic/subjects/physics/electronics-physicists/art-electronics-x-chapters?format=HB
is no. so where they had gone? blended in to the existing chapters? :palm:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 12:48:57 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf