Author Topic: The Curious Case Of The Exploding Switchmode  (Read 9811 times)

Offline dexters_labTopic starter

• Supporter
Re: The Curious Case Of The Exploding Switchmode
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2015, 08:36:12 am »
just bumping this old thread sorry!

Yesterday i was out on-site and working on a customers panel of these blind controllers, i was just testing everything prior to leaving and one of these Bias Power PSUs failed right there in front of me.

Thankfully i had put the metal cover on the panel but by god they go with a bang!  :-BROKE

Now interestingly the panel was on and had been for a minute or two, i activated a controller which began running a blind (shade!) down, about 3 seconds later BANG! and the MCB trips, but it turns out it wasn't the controller that was operating at the time that failed, it was a different one.

Offline Chipmunk

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2015, 05:02:33 am »
I'd be tempted to have a look at the mains quality. Voltage might be running high anyway. If this client has a fairly good budget, a power analyzer could be rented to do a 24-48hr analysis of the mains supply to look for transients, and other weird stuff

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2015, 05:24:01 am »
on the later module that popped, i have seen some horror stories when it comes to smd soldering, but he is up in the top 20, i think that is half the issue, the giant blobs of solder reduce the gaps, something arcs and pop goes the supply,

Offline dexters_labTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2015, 09:16:03 am »
on the later module that popped, i have seen some horror stories when it comes to smd soldering, but he is up in the top 20, i think that is half the issue, the giant blobs of solder reduce the gaps, something arcs and pop goes the supply,

yea it's a bit blobby around the bridge rectifier that the back and that cap at the top, the rest looks ok. The potting compound makes it look worse in places.

Offline Pentium100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2015, 03:50:39 am »
Do they have active PFC? I have seen a couple of blown up computer power supplies with active PFC. The chain of events goes something like this:
Hot side reservoir cap fails -> voltage spikes rise to >900V -> a transistor or chip shorts out and blows up -> circuit breaker of the house trips.

So, now my advice for buying computer PSUs is this: buy high quality PSUs but if you really need a cheap one, get one that does not have active PFC.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2015, 04:44:48 am »
Now interestingly the panel was on and had been for a minute or two, i activated a controller which began running a blind (shade!) down, about 3 seconds later BANG! and the MCB trips, but it turns out it wasn't the controller that was operating at the time that failed, it was a different one.

Yep, it definitely sounds like a mains spike is causing the PSU to fail shorted.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf