Author Topic: The Protek 608 Multimeter  (Read 11447 times)

Offline Amarbir[Lynx-India]Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
    • Lynx-India - Visit Us For Not So Boring Electronic Instruments
The Protek 608 Multimeter
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:29:19 pm »
Hi ,
    I Would Like To Know Who All In The Forum Use This Multimeter .This is One Of The Best Meters That i Have Used Till Today .Does Anyone Have The Same Viewpoint As Me On This  .Seems They Have Vanished Now a Days .I For Sure Know But Do Not Remember some rebrands of the same also
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ Lynx-India ] , Chandigarh [ India ] - > www.lynxdealerstore.com , www.lynx-india.com
Indian Distributor For  [ Autoelectric , Sofitech , IDEOfy ,Peak Electronic Design [UK ] , Anatek And Creatronica ]
My Electronics Blog - > www.lynxchandigarh.com

Offline rbola35618

• Frequent Contributor
Re: The Protek 608 Multimeter
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 04:27:01 pm »
Hi Amarbir,

I used to love and have the same opinion. Now, my opinion has changed. I bought mine from Tequipment. After 10 month, I started having problems with the meter. I called Tequipment and they sent me a new 608 and told me to scrap the old meter. After 6 month of using the second 608, I started having problems with measuring high value resistors. That is when my opinion changed. I called Tequipment and they offered to send me a third 608 meter.  I refused and instead asked for a Amprobe 140.  I got credit and paid the difference.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 05:39:40 pm »
Tequipment was so kind to actually let you get a replacement?  :P

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 02:46:23 pm »
Hi Amarbir,

I used to love and have the same opinion. Now, my opinion has changed. I bought mine from Tequipment. After 10 month, I started having problems with the meter. I called Tequipment and they sent me a new 608 and told me to scrap the old meter. After 6 month of using the second 608, I started having problems with measuring high value resistors. That is when my opinion changed. I called Tequipment and they offered to send me a third 608 meter.  I refused and instead asked for a Amprobe 140.  I got credit and paid the difference.

Sir ,
     i have never had a problem ,might be i never bothered ,can you explain me the exact issue with this meter .I am yet to find a multimeter on planet earth that does zener diode testing
Regards

Amarbir Singh Dhillon [ Lynx-India ] , Chandigarh [ India ] - > www.lynxdealerstore.com , www.lynx-india.com
Indian Distributor For  [ Autoelectric , Sofitech , IDEOfy ,Peak Electronic Design [UK ] , Anatek And Creatronica ]

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 05:01:45 pm »
Because nobody does that ... just use a PSU  ::)

Offline rbola35618

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 12:07:21 am »
Hi Amarbir,

The first unit had problems with turning off the APO.  I could not get it to work. Also, the meter would lock up for some reason. The second unit high resistance would not measure correctly. I was trying to measure 10 megohms. I was getting lower ohms readings than 10 meg. I took the unit apart and tried to clean the PCB thinking that maybe some flux was on the PCB. 

Another thing that I might add is that maybe I was unfortunate to have gotten two meter from a bad batch. The serial numbers on both meter were one one apart. Apparently, both were manufactured on the same production line and followed each other. Maybe that is why both unit failed.

Robert

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 04:40:24 am »
Because nobody does that ... just use a PSU  ::)

Well,
      i disagree with you .Multimeters Are Best Friends of a Tech .Why The Hell Would Anyone Use a PSU to Check Zeners IF You Have the function in your meters ?  .Not only this have you people actually seen the specs of this wonderful meter .

The Link -> http://www.protektest.com/ProdInfo.asp?prodId=608 "No Clue Why Someone Would Cease Production of Such a Meter "

Regards

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 12:32:06 pm »
resistance in "W"?

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 12:55:09 pm »
resistance in "W"?

Pretty common on crap, cheaply designed websites. Note that the lower-case form of Omega is ?. Lost in translation. Probably from Chinese.

E: Also note that the forum is losing it in translation. Yay.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 01:03:07 pm »
It looks just fine on my browser (FF 15.0.1 on GNU/Linux).

The page source though...
Code: [Select]
50<font face="symbol">W</font>
If I try an omega with Greek UTF-8: ?.

Alexander.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:35:54 pm by firewalker »
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 01:22:55 pm »
Oh, that's what they're doing.

Again, see cheap, crap websites. Legacy hack, not supported or even remotely intelligent on any browser made in the last 10 years. Except IE, which will magically work with any badly-written website ever made.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 05:06:48 am »
Well,
     Lets Leave The Website and that sign and lets talk about this multimeter .Is there anything out there with these kinda specs ? .
Regards

Online AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 06:46:58 am »
      i disagree with you .Multimeters Are Best Friends of a Tech .Why The Hell Would Anyone Use a PSU to Check Zeners IF You Have the function in your meters ?  .Not only this have you people actually seen the specs of this wonderful meter .

You won't find Zener testing because of the voltage that would be required at the probes.

Suppose you want to test Zeners up to 30V, there would have to be 30V across the probes, and the meter would have to be able to source enough current to put the Zener into its constant voltage region. That's enough to cause damage to other components, and nobody wants a meter that damages the circuit they're probing.

For small Zener voltages, the regular diode test function will work just fine. If you have, say, a 3.3V Zener, the diode test function will report 3.3V with the probes one way round and about 0.6V with them the other way round.

To test higher Zener voltages, you need a power supply, a resistor and a voltmeter, that's all.

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 02:18:27 pm »
I bought mine from Tequipment. After 10 month, I started having problems with the meter. I called Tequipment and they sent me a new 608 and told me to scrap the old meter. After 6 month of using the second 608, I started having problems with measuring high value resistors. That is when my opinion changed. I called Tequipment and they offered to send me a third 608 meter.  I refused and instead asked for a Amprobe 140.  I got credit and paid the difference.

I hope I don't have the same experience.  I just ordered one of these from Tequipment the other day. :)

Mike

• Frequent Contributor
  • Indian Dealer
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 01:58:20 pm »
We haven't had any issues with the Protek units.  Might have been a bad batch maybe?

We are distributors for Protek and are located in the UK.

Joy Torres
MCS Test Equipment
joy.torres@mcs-testequipment.com

Joy ,
      I Would Be interested to know if you can supply this meter to us in india .We have some contacts in uk who can pay for these and you can ship to them ? .We like to resell them in india
Regards

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf