Author Topic: Thinking of getting a Amscope SM-4T  (Read 3105 times)

Offline HousedadTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Thinking of getting a Amscope SM-4T
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:10:43 pm »
The eyes are not what they used to be and I was thinking of getting a good scope. I have a pethora of uses for it in my various hobbies.

The Amscope 7X-45X double arm boom SM-4t seems to be able to fit the bill well for me. http://www.amscope.com/stereo-microscopes/7x-45x-trinocular-stereo-zoom-microscope-with-double-arm-boom-stand.html

However, I saw a couple of vids that showed the rods on the unit were out of diameter and too soft, so they ended up loose and scratched badly.  Those vids were back in 2015, but I was wondering if anyone knows if Amscope fixed the issue?

I know there are used scopes on the market, but I don't want the issues a used one could bring, so I buy new.

Also, can anyone tell me if the barlow lens (.5) is worth it for general work?  Should I go for a Ring light, or get a incidental side light?

At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
Re: Thinking of getting a Amscope SM-4T
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 06:37:25 pm »
However, I saw a couple of vids that showed the rods on the unit were out of diameter and too soft, so they ended up loose and scratched badly.  Those vids were back in 2015, but I was wondering if anyone knows if Amscope fixed the issue?
I do not. But yes, you want a 0.5x barlow.

And if you orient the ball bearings sleeves that the rod rides in just so, this is self-limited, IME. I use extend/retract my Amscope everytime I use it, and I use it quite frequently. It's perfectly OK after about 2 years of this. Prior to making this adjustment, I was getting quite a bad burr and a rough movement within the first maybe 3 or 5 months. After studying the problem and adjusting the bearings, it works about as good as it ever did. There are two sleeves, one in the front, one in the back. Each sleeve has 5 lines of ball bearing running parallel to the rod. So if you looked down the tube/sleeve the bearings make a pentagon/star. If you orient them so the bottom of the rod gets two sets of bearings in the front and the top of the rod gets two sets of bearings in the back, it distributes the load in the most ideal way. The front bearing takes the most force, and if it is getting just one line of bearings taking the weight, or if the rear bearing is oriented in a way to push laterally so that the front bearing doesn't distribute the weight evenly between the two lines, you can dig a pretty decent gouge in the rod. I can barely feel the two new gouge lines on the bottom, compared to the original one.

No, it doesn't track glassy smooth. But I don't think you are going to ever want to move it while looking through it. It seems to me, that once you get the thing set up, you leave it alone and move your workpiece. The boom is mostly useful for putting it "away" and retrieving a little bench space. You won't be regularly moving/storing this kind of microscope when you're not using it. It probably weighs over 50 lbs.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 06:55:47 pm by KL27x »

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 06:52:48 pm »
I had some bad experiences with AmScope.

(1) I order a microscope base and it came damaged on the mail, bad packaging, so I had to return the unit.

Then I decided to upgrade my microscope and purchased a new one from them.

(2) You have to check the prices on different items, they can have very similar units for about the same price, for example I was going to buy a 7x-45x microscope, but then I saw a 3x-90x with a couple of lens for a couple of dollars difference.

The microscope head came with some marks and the post with signs of oxidation. So check the unit when you receive in a good light condition room

There is no way to say what microscope model you receive, I contacted AmScope to ask how can I check that the microscope I order was the correct I have received, their answer is that there is no way.

The microscope is good so far, buy a cheap ~$30.00 White LED ring from Ebay if you can, at work we have halogen lights and they suck.

Regarding the barlow lens, I will say to try without first and then if you need buy a $20.00 from Ebay, I bought a 0.75x barlow lens from China and have not have any problems whatsoever.

David DLC

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 06:55:51 pm »
This is very similar to the light I have, and I really like the color warm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AmScope-LED-64S-64-LED-Microscope-Ring-Light-with-Dimmer-/142277804960?hash=item21206b03a0:g:SjsAAOSw44BYIlIZ

At work we have other model and I have the color warm of the white LEDs.

David DLC

Offline cidcorp

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 07:04:47 pm »
This is what I use on my workbench.  Was a great investment.  Haven't had any issues with the setup except when I originally got the screw on adapter for a ring light it was
plastic and was stripped (threads were all messed up), contacted AmScope and they sent a metal replacement... worked the treat.

0.5x Barlow is what you typically would use - and as for the LED Ring light, yes buy one after market from other sources and save a few bucks - they are all the same thing.
Adjustable quadrants is good... oh and keep a cheap IKEA led lamp (bendable neck style) on the side for those times the LED ring causes direct reflections on the subject/PCB/components.

Just my 0.02 - YMMV  :-+

EDIT:  Add the note about the RODs of the stand.  I don't move mine around alot but in the 1.5 Years I've had it I haven't had any pitting/issues.  And that BASE is HEEEAAAAVVVVYYYY.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:06:40 pm by cidcorp »

Offline HousedadTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 03:15:42 am »
Thank you for the replies. 

KL27x, What you said about the bearing positions was eye opening.   I find it incredible that something like this would not have at least a simple case hardening on the rods or at least a tougher alloy.  The cost is very minimal.  It defeats the reason for having the ball bearings instead of plastic sleeve bearings. Smells almost like a government job.
Oh, well, we live with what seems everything being cut to save money.  You go buy a box of frozen food, and the box is the same size but there is less product or there is one less pickle on the hamburger.  Little ways to save a buck and still make it look like a value.

At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf