Author Topic: This new battery charges to 70 percent in two minutes, and lasts for 20 years  (Read 5034 times)

Online Mr.BTopic starter

• Supporter
Another one of those super battery claims.
Could be legit.

http://media.ntu.edu.sg/NewsReleases/Pages/newsdetail.aspx?news=809fbb2f-95f0-4995-b5c0-10ae4c50c934
http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20141410-26327.html

Please correct me if my math is wrong:
A 2000mAh battery, to be charged to 70 percent in 2 minutes would require a charger capable of delivering 42A...
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Well, a 100% charge will be 60A for 2 minutes so 42A sounds about right. This of course assumes a 100% efficient charging circuit and no losses in the battery. Charging will be fun, just stand well back.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Online Mr.BTopic starter

• Supporter
Absolutely... Well, well back.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
About 1.5 MW to charge a Tesla battery pack ... charging stations will need medium voltage connections to the grid (and we'll probably need a new grid).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:41:51 pm by Marco »

Online Mr.BTopic starter

• Supporter
So where do I plug this charger in?  :-//

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
Don't forget the tubes for the forced water cooling too.

Offline graynomad

• Regular Contributor
So where do I plug this charger in?  :-//

Good one  :D
Graynomad, AKA Rob Gray www.robgray.com

Offline Robyn

Perhaps you have to use the  microwave to charge :D

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
I think an end-user product would not be a 2-minute 70% variety for the reasons indicated.  That performance would be quite useful for something like a Tesla, of course.

More important, to me, is the capacity vs physical size, and the number of charge cycles it can withstand. 

If my phone could charge from 0% to 70% in ten minutes, and do it 1000 times over its life, I'd be more than happy.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:46:59 am by Rigby »

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
I would charge it for 3 minutes and get it to 100%.   :-DD  |O
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
I would charge it for 3 minutes and get it to 100%.   :-DD  |O

But everyone knows that the last 10% of the work takes 90% of the time. ;)

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
In my experience, there's the first 90% of the work, which takes about 90% of the time, then there's the second 90% of the work, which takes about 150% of the time.

This is a joke about feature creep and slipping deadlines.

Offline a210210200

• Regular Contributor
Another one of those super battery claims.
Could be legit.

http://media.ntu.edu.sg/NewsReleases/Pages/newsdetail.aspx?news=809fbb2f-95f0-4995-b5c0-10ae4c50c934
http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20141410-26327.html

Please correct me if my math is wrong:
A 2000mAh battery, to be charged to 70 percent in 2 minutes would require a charger capable of delivering 42A...

They don't mention the capacity. Since it has lifespan and ultra-high C rates it probably is going to be like a supercap which is sorta like a battery but the capacity is greatly reduced while lifespan and current limits are extreme.

Online Mr.BTopic starter

• Supporter
Bloody hell!!!  He actually posted in another thread.

Perhaps you should read the articles before posting.
It is not a super cap at all.
It is a modification of a Li.

From the first article:
"In the new NTU-developed battery, the traditional graphite used for the anode (negative pole) in lithium-ion batteries is replaced with a new gel material made from titanium dioxide."

From the second article:
"The breakthrough came after the scientists replaced the traditional graphite that makes up the anode (the negative pole of the battery) in lithium-ion batteries with a new gel material made from titanium dioxide nanotubes that they created themselves."
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:17:25 pm by Mr.B »

Offline a210210200

• Regular Contributor
Bloody hell!!!  He actually posted in another thread.

Perhaps you should read the articles before posting.
It is not a super cap at all.
It is a modification of a Li.

From the first article:
"In the new NTU-developed battery, the traditional graphite used for the anode (negative pole) in lithium-ion batteries is replaced with a new gel material made from titanium dioxide."

From the second article:
"The breakthrough came after the scientists replaced the traditional graphite that makes up the anode (the negative pole of the battery) in lithium-ion batteries with a new gel material made from titanium dioxide nanotubes that they created themselves."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudocapacitor

Seem to fit the bill of very fast charging. Super-caps are not really a capacitor and not really a battery (You can even make one that is basically a battery but isn't as "slow"). Plus if they are so great where is the capacity rating. They got ultra-fast charging and good cycle life, and ???? capacity.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf