Author Topic: TO-220 connector/scoket  (Read 12314 times)

Offline akisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
TO-220 connector/scoket
« on: May 09, 2014, 09:59:53 am »
I am looking for TO-220 connectors - I would like to avoid soldering on tight spaces restricted by heatsinks etc.

Ideally it would be a push fit or screw terminals - the other side could be soldered of course. So I could simply push fit it into the transistor or screw it on. It should be very near the perfect pitch for the transistor's terminals, maybe a smaller version of the 3A electrician's terminal blocks, like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHOOSE-AMP-QUANTITY-3-5-15-30-60-TERMINAL-BLOCK-STRIP-CONNECTOR-WIRE-JOINER-/200975982623?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item2ecb1a201f

The above 3A terminal blocks are larger (wider) than the TO-220 pins pitch. I could take out the brass inserts and wrap them in electrician's tape to get rid of excess spacing.

Any suggestions?

Offline jahonen

• Super Contributor
Re: TO-220 connector/scoket
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 10:03:43 am »
Perhaps Phoenix Contact MPT-series (or a clone) could fit?

https://www.phoenixcontact.com/online/portal/us?uri=pxc-oc-itemdetail:pid=1725669&library=usen&tab=1

Regards,
Janne

Online mariush

• Super Contributor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 02:43:53 pm »
Actually I have a little fan which has come with a molex 2.54mm pitch connector, what you find on PC motherboards most often, and it fits perfectly 100%.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 05:42:33 pm »
I think you should also be careful about the current rating of those connectors... some aren't rated for more than 1 A of current continuously.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 06:15:18 pm »
Those connectors have been used quite a lot for TO220 connects, but I find that after a few years of thermal cycling many of them will get intermittent from oxide build up on the leads.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 07:02:40 pm »
I had thought before about trying to build a 555 timer kit (made from discrete components) and socketing the transistors so they could be swapped out to see how the circuit changed, but in my research, the sockets are far more expensive than the components.

Another idea I had was those DIY guitar effects pedals but again socketing the transistors so the person could easily experiment with different gains, silicon vs germanium, etc.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 07:17:44 pm »
Easiest method is to buy 8 pin DIP sockets and solder them in and mask off the one hole you do not use. Or use 14 pin sockets so you can plug in 4 transistors at a time. Turned pin sockets are cheap enough and those at least you can cut into SIP sockets.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 09:31:25 am »
TO-220 pins are thicker and will not fit in an ordinary DIP-8 (or similar) IC socket. Unless you buy the very cheap sockets but then these will corrode almost certain and mechanically are bad too.

In a post above someone warned about the Molex socket too (as in the photo).

Ideally something as neat and compact as the Molex plug but with gold or brass contacts and screws.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 09:51:16 am »
What I have done often is to have a small piece of veroboard and stick it to the heatsink so the pins can be soldered to it. Then solder the leadout wires. I have seen a purpose made PCB in old equipment to take the power device leads to a board that then goes off the side of the heatsink where you have the multipin connector to the premade wire loom. works very well, and easy to get to the power devices to replace them without the danger of track damage. As well you have a large soldering area and good stress relief on the solder joints.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 01:25:06 pm »
If your TO-220 requires a heatsink you are most likely to exceed the maximum ratings for any suitable connector/socket.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 01:25:34 pm »
Why did it post it twice....?

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 03:12:48 pm »
If your TO-220 requires a heatsink you are most likely to exceed the maximum ratings for any suitable connector/socket.
Quite likely in a switching application, maybe not in a linear application.

Those fan connectors are rated to 3A or more. The fan in my PC is rated for over 3A at full load and it came with a standard 4 pin ("PWM") fan connector.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 04:57:21 pm »
Quite likely in a switching application, maybe not in a linear application.
Definitely not in a linear application and often not even in a switching application.  TO-220 package dissipation without a heat sink is limited to something under 2 watts.

Those fan connectors are rated to 3A or more. The fan in my PC is rated for over 3A at full load and it came with a standard 4 pin ("PWM") fan connector.
Tektronix did something like this on their 22xx series oscilloscopes and it was not very reliable.  At some point they issued a change notice and just soldered the wires directly to the TO-220 package removing the connector.

I have used this Molex PC mount TO-220 socket before:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/09-48-3031/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtVoztFdqDXOyHe4DQrhfaM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf