Author Topic: Too good to be true (220V Hakko fx-888 replica)  (Read 76100 times)

Offline tomas1808

• Contributor
Re: Too good to be true (220V Hakko fx-888 replica)
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2013, 03:38:26 am »
I am looking for a soldering station that lasts for a lifetime.

I am deciding between getting a decent $30 936 clone or going all the way and getting a "proper" FX-888.

I can get chinese versions of the FX-888 for 110-130 USD from ebay/ali express, but I rather get the "proper" version.

Does anyone know where to get the 220V Digital "Hakko IC" version (not chinese analog)?

Any ideas?

(I am located in Uruguay)

Offline notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2013, 04:29:52 am »
These are more hobby types, if you really want 'decent' you have to pay the BIG $$$ for them.

Metcal, JBC and Pace are in the professional soldering equipment arena, just be sitting down when you look at the cost of them.

Offline tomas1808

• Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2013, 05:44:12 pm »
Interesting..

What would be the difference between hobby and pro soldering stations? (Apart from reliability). Do they make better solder joints?

I heard about Hakkos 936 still working after 20+ years. That is what I am looking for.

I am either between ultra cheap 936 clones and a "hobby type" FX-888 (if I am able to find for a reasonable price). Kind of all or nothing (well, the minimum).

The question remains: where can I get a 230V version of the Hakko FX-888 (the MCU one)

Many thanks!

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2013, 06:12:48 pm »
I would suggest getting the 110v version from various sellers. You may find the old (non-digital) fx888 for about 85$ plus shipping.

There's one seller on eBay which has both versions starting from about 84$, plus shipping:

http://stores.ebay.com/NEI-Lamps-and-Electronics/HAKKO-SOLDERING-STATIONS-/_i.html?_fsub=16378302&_sid=82105093&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

The stations is powered from a simple transformer, 24 v AC  3.2A  ... you might have a problem finding one that would fit in your 110v hakko but there's nothing stopping you from just buying a transformer, putting it in a box by the desk with 24v AC going into the Hakko overriding the original 110v transformer.

You can get new transformers that would suit the station for about 14$, maybe less, here's some examples :

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/VPS24-3300/237-1276-ND/666162
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/187F24/187F24-ND/2358267

and I'm sure you can find some on eBay.

Offline tomas1808

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2013, 12:38:58 am »
I heard the transformer had a 8v tap or something? I will investigate. Transformer swap will be my last resource.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2013, 01:06:05 am »
What would be the difference between hobby and pro soldering stations? (Apart from reliability). Do they make better solder joints?

I heard about Hakkos 936 still working after 20+ years. That is what I am looking for.

I am either between ultra cheap 936 clones and a "hobby type" FX-888 (if I am able to find for a reasonable price). Kind of all or nothing (well, the minimum).

The question remains: where can I get a 230V version of the Hakko FX-888 (the MCU one)
Apart from improved reliability, they tend to have better temp regulation, and may also offer faster recovery (get back to temp after a joint or cleaning). Still requires good skill from the operator, but it will improve matters, particularly in areas that draw off a lot of heat, such as ground planes or larger devices.

Although the Hakko FX-888 may appear to be made by a toy company, it's a professional station (albeit entry level). As per pricing, if you live in a 230V country, you could see if a US version + step-down transformer would be a cheaper means of getting one (the NEI ebay seller has good prices and ships abroad). Worth a look IMHO anyway.  ;)

Hope this helps.  :)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2013, 11:52:37 am »
The Hakko FX888 can perform to professional standards defined by the IPC and summarized here:

http://www.circuitnet.com/experts/86492.shtml

You can find many other stations equally capable, but in the USA, its probably the lowest cost of the pro grade stations.

Given its history since inception and its legacy design from the 936, it should last your more than a lifetime.  Its not just easy to repair with parts from Hakko, its been heavily copied, so DIY spares for the controller board are easy to find, and the wear tear parts, soldering pencil, tips and heaters, are all well supplied by Hakko.

Given its popularity, beware counterfeit Hakko products, from tips, heater and stations.  If you want the original your lowest risk is to buy from an authorized distributor or direct from Hakko itself.

If you are not in the USA, there can be a premium for buying an FX888, i.e., cost > 2x more than USA prices; cost wise compare it to available EU made branded stations if you live in the EU, like JBC from Spain.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline tomas1808

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2013, 01:53:59 am »
Thanks for the answers. I am sure the FX888 is good enough for me :P. I may even go for the digital display version.

I have asked HakkoUSA if they have a 230V FX888 by chance. Maybe I get lucky.

If not, I may go for the step-down transformer method.

Or maybe just get a cheap 936 clone just for the moment.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2013, 03:05:04 am »
Don't hold your breath on their answer.

If they answer they'll probably just direct you to your local distributor which will either say they only work with companies or that they're willing to sell you one for 150-200 euro.

Just get one from eBay from the distributors i mentioned in another thread (in the last week I think there were probably 3-4 threads about soldering stations)

Offline tomas1808

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2013, 02:09:30 am »
Well, Hakko USA answered back.

They contacted Hakko Japan for a quote for the 230V version.

Just $340 US Dollars. Lead time: 8 weeks  :palm:

Its almost like they didn't want to sell these..

I think I am going for the chinese version from Ali Express.  :-//

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:13:06 am by tomas1808 »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2013, 02:42:50 am »
Well, Hakko USA answered back.

They contacted Hakko Japan for a quote for the 230V version.

Just $340 US Dollars. Lead time: 8 weeks  :palm:

Its almost like they didn't want to sell these..

I think I am going for the chinese version from Ali Express.  :-//
I suspect it's to make sure they don't interfere with their distributors in the EU.

But why not go through http://www.dancap.co.uk/ (Hakko's UK distributor)?

They have both the analog and digital version listed for 98.98GBP (+ shipping and VAT from what I understand), so probably looking at ~135 - 140GBP in the end.

Offline tomas1808

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2013, 03:21:51 am »
Thats quite a good price.

But with shipping prices will go to hell.

In Uruguay the only way to import items above $50 is by Express shipping (EMS, FedEx, etc), otherwise you have to pay ridiculous customs taxes (60% of (Cost of item + shipping)). And if the item is above $100 you have to pay a even more insane tax. With Express you can go up to $200 without taxes.

Express shipping 8.5 pounds across the world is not very cheap.

I actually have some friends in Ireland ATM but they wont be back until next year.

So I think I am stuck with trying the chinese variation/copy for the time.

If it happens to be fake/bad quality I could sell it in the local market for pretty much the same price I will pay for.

If I get the chinese version I'll report back and maybe do a review with pics, etc.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:26:02 am by tomas1808 »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2013, 03:45:24 am »
Thats quite a good price.

But with shipping prices will go to hell.

In Uruguay the only way to import items above $50 is by Express shipping (EMS, FedEx, etc), otherwise you have to pay ridiculous customs taxes (60% of (Cost of item + shipping)). And if the item is above $100 you have to pay a even more insane tax. With Express you can go up to $200 without taxes.

Express shipping 8.5 pounds across the world is not very cheap.

I actually have some friends in Ireland ATM but they wont be back until next year.

So I think I am stuck with trying the chinese variation/copy for the time.

If it happens to be fake/bad quality I could sell it in the local market for pretty much the same price I will pay for.

If I get the chinese version I'll report back and maybe do a review with pics, etc.
OK, I was under the impression you were in the UK.

But I have another idea you might want to look at...

There is an eBay seller of the US version of the FX-888D that they'll ship to Uruguay (they have two alternatives, USPS <US Postal Service> Priority and Express methods; $60.75 & $76.60 respectively on the shipping rate). Get a step-up transformer (say 300W), and you'd be able to use it (may find locally), and see if it works out cost wise for you.

Hakko: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-FX888-Digital-Read-out-Adjustable-Temp-Soldering-Station-/380553856557?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589ac7062d
Examples of step-up units you wouldn't even need to wire: http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/step-up-down-transformer.html

Literally just plug and play.  ;)

If you can get the transformer for ~$30 all in, then the entire setup would run you right at $200 (dancap actually comes out to 130.77GPB total, according to another member in the UK, and I converted this to USD to get a budget reference).

You can also make one if you can source a sufficient sized 2:1 transformer.

Offline tomas1808

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2013, 04:23:19 am »
Yes, that is a good idea.

However I am pretty much poor (21yo) and I dont know if I can justify the extra $100 just to be sure it is "legit". At least not atm. (I can get the chinese + FedEx Shipping for exactly $103)

Plus I have not heard a single bad review of the chinese FX-888.

So even if they are indeed fake the seem to be very good reproductions.

And as I said earlier, if it ends up being of poor quality/not satisfied, I can pretty much sell it for the same price I will have payed for it.

In that case I would go for the step-down transformer idea.

Thanks for all the input nanofrog!  :-+

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:30:34 am by tomas1808 »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2013, 04:48:38 am »
Yes, that is a good idea.

However I am pretty much poor (21yo) and I dont know if I can justify the extra $100 just to be sure it is "legit". At least not atm. (I can get the chinese + FedEx Shipping for exactly $103)

Plus I have not heard a single bad review of the chinese FX-888.

So even if they are indeed fake the seem to be very good reproductions.

And as I said earlier, if it ends up being of poor quality/not satisfied, I can pretty much sell it for the same price I will have payed for it.

In that case I would go for the step-down transformer idea.

Thanks for all the input nanofrog!  :-+
Understandable.

But it might be worth checking out other models, such as a Weller WES51 or WES51D for example as well (120V only for WES51, but the WES51DUK = 230V digital version), and see if those will come in cheaper than the Hakko. For example, the same US eBay seller has the WES51 for $99, but the shipping is a bit cheaper. No idea if the WES51DUK is offered locally, but it's worth a look.

Not seen much on the FX-888 clones specifically (there is at least one tear down in here somewhere), and it seemed OK from what I recall. But given the tear downs of Chinese soldering equipment in general, I'm wary of it due to things like hot or neutral wired to ground inside their units (:o), and am concerned with reliability as well.

Keep in mind though, for a highly used tool, I'm the type to prefer to buy once and be done rather than buy cheap goods and spend a lot more in the end.

Offline tomas1808

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2013, 05:29:36 am »
Hmm, you left me thinking with that last line.

I dont have that extra money but maybe I could sell some stuff.

I am thinking of selling a book called "Recording The Beatles" that is worth quite a bit. It is extremely good book but I am too young to be storing my money in "collectibles".

I am not too fond of having to carry a step-down transformer with the soldering station though.

Undecided... :scared:

Offline jbomba

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2013, 10:21:38 am »
ok so i am in contact with some chinese suppliers and im trying to source one of the  220v transformers used in the replica to install inmy genuine model. Ill keep you guys posted on how i get on. Might even get a few more in if anyones interested

Offline junggwok

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2013, 01:51:12 pm »
Thought I will provide some clarifications about the subject

Just came back from a trip to China, purchased two Hakko FX-888D from Hakko's store in Shanghai (one genuine and one fake) fake one was purchased a electronics store close by. Thought I'll compare them both and with my genuine FX-888D in Australia. The one from Hakko's store is  absolutely identical  to my Australian version, except the one from China says 220V 50Hz/60Hz at the bottom of the panel. Inside the unit, however it actually says 220/230v/240v 50Hz on the transformer, my Australian one says 240v only. Absolutely a bargain from China, I paid $75 AUS dollars for. it.  Interestingly, the fake one cost about half the price, "37 AUS dollars", inside the fake one, there is no MCU and control is analogue with a LM324. The ceramic heater seems to be different of poorer quality as it heats a bit slower as well. Oh yeah FX-888 retails a bit more in China then FX-888D, (except 5 dollars more)

From what I can tell, the "genuine" from Hakko China seems to identical to the Australian version, however the cheaper "locally produced" version still seems to be virtually the same (even down to minor details).

Just because some fx-888s might seem too good to be counterfeit. Well, to be honest the 37 dollar one I got was a damn good copy, for $37 dollars, I couldn't care less. Hakko is making huge profits by selling 220/240v versions at 2.5 to 3 times price then the 110V ones

I will upload some pictures I took while taking them apart.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2013, 04:08:09 pm »
inside the fake one, there is no MCU and control is analogue with a LM324.
What's the advatage of the MCU control? DOes it work better?
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2013, 07:03:35 pm »
Great, can you add pics of the counterfeit one and compare them side by side with the original?

Thought I will provide some clarifications about the subject

I will upload some pictures I took while taking them apart.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline junggwok

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2013, 01:46:34 am »
inside the fake one, there is no MCU and control is analogue with a LM324.
What's the advatage of the MCU control? DOes it work better?

MCU really does not make much difference with a simple iron like this, but it shows it was the only part the counterfeiters not willing to reproduce. (they have done it for everything else).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:22:36 am by junggwok »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2013, 08:15:53 am »
Just came back from a trip to China, purchased two Hakko FX-888D from Hakko's store in Shanghai (one genuine and one fake) fake one was purchased a electronics store close by.
Did you say you bought a fake FX-888D... which doesn't use an MCU?

Offline junggwok

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2013, 03:23:32 am »
Just came back from a trip to China, purchased two Hakko FX-888D from Hakko's store in Shanghai (one genuine and one fake) fake one was purchased a electronics store close by.

I have bought 2 FX-888Ds from China, one genuine and one counterfeit. Also I have a genuine FX-888D purchased here in Australia. The fake one does not use an MCU.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:25:21 am by junggwok »

Offline Smithy

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2013, 09:14:45 pm »

I have bought 2 FX-888Ds from China, one genuine and one counterfeit. Also I have a genuine FX-888D purchased here in Australia. The fake one does not use an MCU.

:o

If the fake does'nt have an MCU then how is it measuring temp and driving the 7 segment display?

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2013, 09:13:33 am »

:o

If the fake does'nt have an MCU then how is it measuring temp and driving the 7 segment display?
Exactly what I was thinking when I asked that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf