Author Topic: Too good to be true (220V Hakko fx-888 replica)  (Read 75736 times)

Offline junggwok

• Contributor
Re: Too good to be true (220V Hakko fx-888 replica)
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2013, 10:32:52 pm »
Just came back from a trip to China, purchased two Hakko FX-888D from Hakko's store in Shanghai (one genuine and one fake) fake one was purchased a electronics store close by.
Did you say you bought a fake FX-888D... which doesn't use an MCU?

I have bought 2 FX-888Ds from China, one genuine and one counterfeit. Also I have a genuine FX-888D purchased here in Australia. The fake one does not use an MCU.

:o

If the fake does'nt have an MCU then how is it measuring temp and driving the 7 segment display?

It does have an IC to drive the 7 segment display (didn't take a close look, I remembered it was a box standard Maxim chip, it does not use a MCU to sensor temp, it is done by LM324

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2013, 12:57:32 pm »
An ICL7106? And what about the buttons? Is there other discrete logic to handle the setting?

Very odd... even a single MCU to drive the display would probably be much cheaper...

Offline avrnoob

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2013, 04:11:13 am »
Hey guys, I've asked several sellers on aliexpress and they all say similiar that this is "a high imitation products, but the function and quality are the same". So it's indeed a replica.
What bothers me is not a station but the iron itself, does it has a good heater as hakko one or not. Can someone open and compare?

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2013, 11:19:41 am »
Of course they're not going to say "this is horrible crap, nowhere near as good as the original"!

You may find this thread of interest.

Offline ThedboBoy

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2013, 11:58:13 am »
I've also got one of the Chinese Hakko FX-888 "fakes" or "clones". I've done up a review on my blog if anyone is interested. http://electronicsreviewsblog.info/hakko-fx-888-soldering-iron-review-teardown-chinese-version/

For what it's worth it's not that bad but I also wouldn't describe it as awesome. Can't see how it compares to the genuine article as I don't have access to one of them. Price was right tho  ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:02:59 pm by ThedboBoy »

Offline avrnoob

« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2013, 07:55:33 am »
Well, I ordered one for myself, because original 220V cost around $500 here.
So mine internals look the same as from ThedboBoy's review. But mine cut cost all the way, they forget to put wet sponge and rubber feet for iron holder base.
Then rubber cleaner... well, it's made of rubber, not silicone rubber. When I tried to clean iron (<300C) this rubber just melted and produced smoke  :scared:  :wtf:
And that silicone inserts in the holder made of not silicone rubber too and melt easily. Iron wire actually made of silicone and feels good, not melting  ^-^
Changed heater to original (or good looking fake), one which was there is totally fake.

Offline lpc32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2015, 07:55:06 pm »
What's that dent/burn mark on the transformer, near the white wires (posted earlier in the thread)?

Same thing in this blog post:

Or on mine:

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2015, 08:17:48 pm »
They welded the steel laminations of the core, look at the image below:

I think they do this to reduce hum, but i'm not entirely sure, there may be other reasons for it...  :-//

Offline lpc32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2015, 08:25:38 pm »
I assumed something of the sort, but it's strange that there's a dent and scorch marks, and not just a bump of molten metal.

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2015, 08:40:47 pm »
I assumed something of the sort, but it's strange that there's a dent and scorch marks, and not just a bump of molten metal.
What you see ther is an example of a crappy welding job, could be wrong electrode or wrong gas.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline lpc32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2015, 12:45:40 pm »
Unless it's close batches, they seem to be doing it pretty consistently. :)

Offline MarkDennehy

• Contributor
    • Stochastic Geometry
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2016, 02:08:07 pm »
Well, poop. Wish I'd read this thread a little earlier. I thought I was buying end-of-line old stock but nope, knock-off.

For those who bought these things, a question - how have the fakes held up? Did they last three weeks and then crap out or are they still ticking along?

Offline avrnoob

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2016, 01:20:12 am »
For those who bought these things, a question - how have the fakes held up? Did they last three weeks and then crap out or are they still ticking along?

Mine still works great, almost 2.5 years already.

Offline hemdale

• Contributor
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2016, 10:55:24 am »
Great topic and it seems FX888 replicas are everywhere. Do you guys know if it's still possible to purchase an "old" FX888 since I'd rather stick to a knob control rather than the digital control of the FX888D ?

Many thanks

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2016, 12:25:59 pm »
Great topic and it seems FX888 replicas are everywhere. Do you guys know if it's still possible to purchase an "old" FX888 since I'd rather stick to a knob control rather than the digital control of the FX888D ?

Many thanks
Used would probably be the only choice if you really want a genuine one.

And I'm not surprised the fakes still work, they're based on the same internals as the generic 936-style stations (the ones without Hakko on them) and there's not much to go wrong.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf