Author Topic: Toolboom -anyone ordered from them? (fake or original stuff?)  (Read 4894 times)

Offline analogixTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I'm considering buying a Goot (reputable Japanese brand) soldering iron and some other gear, and Toolboom in Hong Kong comes up as a dealer with reasonable prices (and unlike many other companies, reasonable shipping costs even if you're not in the UK or USA).

Has anyone dealt with them before, and do they sell legit original equipment, or is it likely I'll be getting Chinese fakes, just like I would when buying off eBay etc?

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
  • Just an IT monkey with a DSO
Re: Toolboom -anyone ordered from them? (fake or original stuff?)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 09:47:51 pm »
Has anyone dealt with them before, and do they sell legit original equipment, or is it likely I'll be getting Chinese fakes, just like I would when buying off eBay etc?

I've bought a Goot PX-601 Soldering Station and a replacement iron tip last month.
https://toolboom.com/en/Mini-Soldering-Station-Goot-PX-601.php
It was in it's original box. So far so good I can't complain but I think the PX-501 could have been a better choice. Beware that many products are 220V only. My unit had a CEE 7/4 Schuko plug. I had to replace it with a type I plug (Australia, Argentina, ...)
This thread is about Goot PX-501/601 here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/goot-px-501-px-601-mini-soldering-stations/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:22:21 pm by HoracioDos »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 10:20:13 pm »
So they appear to be selling original/genuine products?
I also contacted Taiyo electric industry (Goot) in Japan, asking about Toolboom and they replied:

Thank you very much for your inquiry.

The website you checked is the following website?
https://toolboom.com/en/Temperature-Controlled-Soldering-Iron-Goot-PX-201.php

I checked the website above and the product seems to be our genuine product.
But we don't have a business with this website.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,
Taiyo International Marketing Team

So at least they're not blacklisted  :)

So you've found your PX-601W (48W) to be too weak compared to the PX-501 (100W) or are there other advantages of the 501?
I was considering the PX-201 because of its compact size and ability to adjust the temperature which I assume would be useful for soldering different stuff (low power for sensitive components, then adjust to more power for connectors joined to PCB ground planes).
I haven't been able to find much user-experience info about it, but there's a little mention about it in this posting (which you also posted to the same thread). Would a 501 or 601 be better? I see they also have an "anti static" version which I assume is for soldering ESD sensitive components.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:22:06 pm by analogix »

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
  • Just an IT monkey with a DSO
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 11:05:38 pm »
So you've found your PX-601W (48W) to be too weak compared to the PX-501 (100W) or are there other advantages of the 501?

As far as I can remember both units have the same power consumption (85W). I have to slide the cover to adjust the temperature and I have remember where I left the screw everytime. It seemed to be a nice feature at first and I don't like anymore. I bought it because its size. As it's talked in the thread, both units are almost the same.

Keep in mind this comment. It's not a hakko.

It's not temperature controlled its more like wattage/power control. The heater has only leads and the green lead goes to the body.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 11:08:14 pm »
The price will tell the truth

Fake cost's a significantly lower price

No free lunch

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 10:34:04 am »
Just email them they will tell you if it's a clone or genuine. I find most are honest and doesn't hide the authenticity of their goods.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:36:31 am by nukie »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 09:30:18 pm »
Good suggestion about mailing them!
As for price -there might be instances where they sell fakes for the same/almost the same as the originals, then take the extra profit (given that they buy them very cheaply), or is the usual way just to sell lots of cheap fakes and make more money that way?

So the Goot irons mentioned aren't temperature controlled (the Goot website groups them in the "temperature controlled soldering stations" catagory) -does this mean they get hotter and hotter as time goes by so you either need to adjust its temperature or take a break by plugging them out?

I'd like to hear more about these models and also if anyone here has used a PX-201.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 12:21:24 pm »
I received a reply from Toolboom where they confirmed their products are genuine:

I'm interested in ordering some soldering tools from you and would like
to know if the GOOT soldering irons and accessories (tips, soldering
wick etc.) are genuine from Japan or clones/copies?

Thank you for your enquiry.
Yes, our Goot products are genuine products of Goot made in Japan.
Please feel free to contact me for any doubt.

That's good news, but I'm in doubt which one to get and in other threads discussing equipment I've understood that low-voltage soldering stations are recommended instead. As long as it's compact (will fit in a toolbox), not too expensive and lasting quality I'll go for that.

Offline ali6x944

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 02:17:30 pm »
I did by my RIGOL DS1054Z scope from their eBay store and it is genuine...
seeeBay auction: #http://stores.ebay.com/toolboom/

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 11:26:17 pm »
You mean, "that's Goot news" :P

I don't think I've heard of confirmed instances of selling fake scopes --- they contain expensive components, such that they're not really worth cloning. Products which get cloned are simple enough to make people think "I can make that for cheaper".

The following users thanked this post: ali6x944

Offline ali6x944

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 01:53:29 pm »
well i don't know if they sell genuine soldering irons thou, for me i bought mine which is TQ-77 from the closest store to me which is around 53 km away.... :phew:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf