Author Topic: Tools and Tips from Applied Science YouTube channel  (Read 2777 times)

Offline WinstonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • IC Die Photography
Tools and Tips from Applied Science YouTube channel
« on: June 30, 2015, 05:00:51 pm »
Tools and Tips #1

Tools and Tips #2

From #1, a great SMD work close-up light:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
Re: Tools and Tips from Applied Science YouTube channel
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 05:42:42 pm »
Tips about sockets are not that great... Do you want to test unknown socket with POS neon bulb on yourself? Does simple plug-in socket tester detect all problems with socket wiring? :-- You can do that in desperate times, but it is not a great way to do it.

Tip about small drill bit holder is interesting. However, I consider hand-held drill to be too wobbly (by construction and by the user) to be used with such tiny drills without breaking them. On drill press it should work nicely though.

Nice tips overall, but keep it to your knowledge level about the subject.

Offline WinstonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • IC Die Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 05:08:16 pm »
Tips about sockets are not that great... Do you want to test unknown socket with POS neon bulb on yourself? Does simple plug-in socket tester detect all problems with socket wiring? :-- You can do that in desperate times, but it is not a great way to do it.
I suspect he mentioned that simple, single neon bulb version of an electrical outlet tester for those who don't have a full outlet tester which he also demonstrated. I have a full tester.
Tip about small drill bit holder is interesting. However, I consider hand-held drill to be too wobbly (by construction and by the user) to be used with such tiny drills without breaking them. On drill press it should work nicely though.
Agree. Tiny bits are very difficult to avoid breaking/bending with a large hand drill. That's why I made a homemade PCB drill that can even use brittle carbide PCB drill bits without issues.
Nice tips overall, but keep it to your knowledge level about the subject.
I think the meaning of that may have been lost in translation.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 05:17:22 pm »
That channel has some interesting videos. Like this one. Subscribed. Thanks for posting.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 06:01:48 pm »
Pin vices are necessary when chucking any small bit in a regular chuck. That means on a lathe, full size drill press or whatever. Certainly can be used in a handheld but not recommended for drilling and entire pcb.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf