Author Topic: TP4056FlexAdv Review  (Read 6377 times)

Offline paulcaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
TP4056FlexAdv Review
« on: April 10, 2018, 07:31:35 pm »
So A forum member "soubitos" was kind enough to give me one of his products to review.

It started when he identified his product solved my issue within this thread.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/battery-operated-device-power-supply/msg1427165

I had a device, a binary clock which I hoped would run mostly on batteries.  Powering it from an 18650 alone was okay, but I risked running the 18650 too low, I also had to disconnect everything to charge the 18650.

So I originally purchased a TP4056 board and a 5V boost converter board.  Alas, the boost converter efficiency was terrible although the TP4056 did fairly well.

So the TP4056FlexAdv board arrived in the post from soubitos, all the way from Greece.

It's 5cm x 5cm, quite compact and full of interesting features.  It, as the name suggests contains a TP4056 for charging the 18650, but also a cut off protection chip for the 18650.  On top of that it has a boost converter with a variable output.

Power input comes from a multitude of connectors, a set of screw terminals, a DC jack and micro USB.

For power outputs the choice is either direct battery connection or the variable boost output.

Charge current is set via a jumper from 60mA through to 1Amp with 8 different selections.

The boost output voltage is set via a 10 (20?) turn potentiometer.

Although I did not test it, you can also enable a remote signal line to control the boost voltage from a 2 pin JST connector.  To enable this requires a jumper selection.

So does it work?

Yes.  I put it straight into service running my binary clock.  The binary clock pulls between 50 and 100mA depending on how many of it's LEDs are lit.  With an 18650 (2600mAH generic Chinese laptop cell) and TP4056 alone I was getting just under 2 days, call it 40 hours before the oLED browned out crashing the ATmega328p which was followed a few hours later by the TP4056 pulling the 18650 into protection.

With the TP4056FlexADV and it's boost converter in the mix obviously the screen and LEDs were brighter, but run time fell to around 26 hours.  It is hard to judge the outright efficiency from this due to the binary clock drawing different amount of current at the higher voltage, but it's still a lot better than the 5V boost module solution I had previously, which died in 12 hours.

As to it's function with battery management, I powered the setup from the USB port on the back of my monitor which is only on while the monitor is functioning.  When it goes to standby or gets switched off when I leave the house or go to bed the 18650 takes over.  In this configuration the TP4056FlexADV didn't faulter.  When the monitor powered up it began charging the battery, a few hours later it indicated the 18650 was fully charged, when the monitor went off it went back to running the binary clock on battery again.  I ran it like this for several weeks without problem.

Here is the circuit with the temporary addition of my multi-meter showing the load current and the USB monitor showing the power supply current.  The 18650 in this case has been charging already for about an hour since I got home after running all day.

The good:
* Does what it's designed to do.  Stable 5V (I didn't test it at higher or lower voltages)
* Charges the 18650 to around 4.18V on the occasion I tested.
* Cuts out shortly after the oLED display crashes the ATmega when it browns out, though this could be a i2c comms issue.  So probably a little below 2.9V.
* Doesn't need any help, support or poking or prodding at to work continuously in service.  So ideal to put into a product and leave it to do it's job.

The bad - to be fair there are a few rough edges:
* There is noise on the output.  From the FlexADV itself switching noise on the boost module is around 30mVpp at 1KHz, but it seems to pass through any power supply noise readily.  I was measuring the same noise on the USB input as I was seeing on the output.  Powering it from a noisy switch mode mains adapter showed much higher ripply on the output, but I think my little min scope was getting freaked out by the mains leakage as 4Vpp 50Hz on a 5V supply doesn't sound right, I also measured the same on the power supply itself.

* I might have got an engineering prototype, but the board still had a bit of flex here and there which took the look off it a little.

* The output voltage adjust pot suffers, as any such adjust pot does from not being very linear, it does very little for several turns and then start to ramp up quickly and was quite difficult to get it to settled on 5.00V, I settled for 4.95V.

* The instructions could probably use a "Quick start guide" with bullet points on getting it powered up first time.

* I'm not fond of the bi-color LED, a red and a green separately would look better, but I'm just being picky now.

Anyway, I'm glad soubitos sent me this and I'm happy for it to be the power supply for my binary clock, or possibly other little semi-battery powered projects.

I gather for example it would run something like a ESP8266 happily on a few 18650s for a week.  I have not tested it with any ultra low power devices.

Anyway, I believe this is one of soubitos's ebay listings for the module.  Which is very cheap for what it is!  Definitely worth under a fiver!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lithium-Battery-Charger-DC-Step-Up-Converter-Booster-Solar-Li-ion-Li-Po/152960893936?hash=item239d2e03f0:g:6FgAAOSweRhauhJs

Any questions, feel free and I'll try and get measurements if you need them.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
Re: TP4056FlexAdv Review
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 10:55:49 pm »
Thank you very much for the time and effort Paul!
I am glad it works for you as i was sure it would...
It would be great to hear opinions based on your review from other forum members and i do have a few more review samples if someone wants to scrutinize this further  ;)
TP4056FlexAdv is available by two ebay sellers already one based in Greece and another in UK
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392011777414 & https://www.ebay.com/itm/152960893936
I am selling them on Tindie myself and if someone reading this wants to get one with 15% discount, he can use discount code DAEF6C6F  (valid until April 30) https://www.tindie.com/products/11347/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:49:10 pm by soubitos »

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 12:16:58 pm »
TP4056FlexAdv & SCLD4056 on Andreas Spiess channel (They show after 9m35s)!
CAT APPROVED

https://youtu.be/pthvM6Ej1F4

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 08:32:40 pm »
After Andreas video i sold out the remaining of my stock of both TP4056FlexAdv & SCLD4056..!
It was an amazing experience really!
I am now between making more of the original TP4056FlexAdv (selling price of 6.99$) or launch a new version TP4056FA2 which has a lot of improvements, and changes.
First of all the new version is in the form of a small arduino shield.
It has power path management and when the boost converter is disabled there is no output voltage.
Charge current settings are made via DIP switch instead the jumper of the original version and it allows to use ntc to monitor temp at the battery side. The booster output setting is improved so no more rotations without change to the output but at the same time i used a different booster IC to improve performance and allow higher currents. New booster allows up to 12V output though..
Now, why arduino shield you might ask!
Well, you can sit TP4056FA2 on your arduino and use it to measure output and battery voltages and charge current! Arduino can also enable/disable the boost converter!

This is the small brother of my upcoming Burgduino modular charging system and i hope it goes as well as TP4056FlexAdv did!

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 09:29:25 pm »
New version of my 1S1A 3in1 voltage regulator/charger/booster is now available on Tindie.
I decided to follow the basic design of the original TP4056FlexAdv only this time I am using a CN3153  charger IC and the new model is called CN3153FA.
You can find it here https://www.tindie.com/products/13598/

In the photo is a CN3153FA module tested in combination with the Logic Shield prototype from my Burgduino Modular Charging System (BMCS).
CN3153FA has two extra optional headers one of which is an auxiliary 5V power source (when external power is present) and the second one is access to measure Battery voltage, Charge Current and Booster output voltage.

https://youtu.be/M-Mgeklst_A

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:01:31 am by soubitos »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf