Author Topic: Tronex Cutters and Pliers (USA Made!) Warning Pic Heavy!  (Read 23768 times)

Offline PedroDaGr8Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Tronex Cutters and Pliers (USA Made!) Warning Pic Heavy!
« on: September 29, 2014, 05:12:31 am »
First off, I want to thank Nina at Tronex for sending the samples that made this review possible! Also, thanks to nanofrog for the heads up on the very low cost NOS Excelta on ebay!

I apologize if this is a bit wordy, there was a lot I wanted to cover. It's not an easy topic to discuss and I wanted to really get my point across!

Background

I am a bit obsessive about tools, OK more than obsessive at times. Unfortunately, my wallet is not. Student loans are great at the time but damn do they suck to pay back :mad: While I am always on the lookout for a good deal, I don’t consider a tool that breaks or lets you down often to be a good deal no matter the price. Instead of buying many low quality tools I would rather save up and purchase high quality/value tools. For the tools I use regularly, I would gladly pay 2-4x, or more, for a tool that lasts a lifetime and I know that I can rely on time and time again than buy a cheapie that lasts a year or two. Basically, what I am saying is the I have a Filet Mignon taste on a ramen noodle budget. Because most of my work is electronics related, I tend to gravitate towards high quality precision stuff, rather than the larger high-end stuff common on most tool forums.

Recently, I had been looking at getting a good quality pair of flush cutters and needle nose pliers. Being how I am, I had to know what was out there and the various price ranges. This lead me down the path of looking at companies like Lindstrom, Schmitz, Excelta (see my note at the end), Erem, Swanstrom, etc.; as well as some of the more budget companies like Xuron (which is made in the USA), Xcelite, Knipex and the lot. As I searched, I kept seeing a name come up that I hadn’t encountered before: Tronex. This intrigued me as it was an unknown company to me (and likely most other hobbyists) but the reviews that I found were exceptional. It appears that this company is better known in the electronics industrial setting and oddly enough jewelry making than it is for electronics hobbyists like me.  Quite simply they have a reputation of being one of the best precision cutter manufacturers PERIOD!

Tronex is an American company, located in Fairfield, CA just outside of Silicon Valley and they cut their teeth designing high precision tools for the electronics industry. Unlike many of the other companies that used to manufacture in the USA but had shifted their manufacturing overseas, Tronex still manufactures in the USA today. I came across this quote from their CEO Arne Salvesen:
“In many applications, our tools will be used for several hundred thousand cuts before they require sharpening. People are very often surprised that we actually manufacture in Fairfield as a lot of manufacturing has moved overseas. We use American specialty steel and other raw materials. We design and manufacture with such care that the performance of our tools is exceptional, which enables us to be competitive.”
So not only are they manufacturing entirely in the USA but they are using USA sourced metals so it is supporting US manufacturing on multiple levels. This is likely no easy task due to the crush of imports of Asian steel but they know what they want. Instead of searching for the lowest common denominator they instead let the quality speak for itself. I like supporting quality US and European manufacturing when I can so I decided that I would look into Tronex a bit more. At least on paper, they seem to be what the crème de la crème of US manufacturing is about.

The first thing I should mention is the price; these are not cheap budget tools. If you are looking for something that is budget priced, in the traditional sense, these are not it. They are high reliability professional tools and are priced accordingly. Most of the models run in the $50+ range which sounds like a lot, but at hundreds of thousands of cuts before it needs its first SHARPENING, this tool will likely last your lifetime and even your children’s lifetimes as well if treated properly. The second thing that I should mention is that their product line is rather diverse and a bit overwhelming if you don’t know what you are doing. Terms like oval head, taper head, Class T/W, Angular, Tip, Standoff, flush, semi-flush, razor flush and combinations of several of these thereof result in a dizzying array of options. I ended up emailing them for some assistance in determining what would be best for me. They were very helpful to say the least. In the end, I ended up getting the 7222 (Ergonomic taper relief flush cutter) snd the 521 (Standard Handle Needle Nose Pliers) .

After receiving these and beginning on the review, nanofrog tipped me off to a pair of Excelta rebrands on ebay for very cheap ($13 shipped). So I picked up the Excelta 7182E which is a rebadged Tronex 7082 (Ergonomic Small 50° Angulated Flush Cutter) as well.

Unboxing

The boxes are rather nondescript and minimalistic.

Nothing indicates the contents at all other than a small printed label affixed to the side. It would be nice to at LEAST see the number printed on the box itself. Nit-picky, I know, but labels have a tendency to fall off.

The boxes appear to be a one-size fits all, for their entire product line. This is perfectly acceptable for the professional markets which they predominately target. For the hobbyist market, it would be nice to see a bit flashier more robust box. I for one, prefer keeping my tools in the box if it makes logical sense.  Inside the box, we find the tool encased in a thick plastic bag with the tips protected in a silicone cover. For the 7222s the silicone cover fits perfectly, it is snug and secure. For the 521, the cover feels acceptable but a tad loose. I think this is because the tips are so thin, there isn't much surface for friction. Considering these are just for storage, that (just like the box) is not a big deal. The tools are clearly marked that they are ESD-Safe. For those of us working in electronics, this is important.

The Excelta cutters did not come in a box, so there is no unboxing. ;D

Build Quality

Now for the part everyone cares about, how is the build quality. I have to say they are EVERYTHING the reviews said they are and then some. The build quality on these tools is second to none. I can’t imagine a nicer feeling set of cutters. Just looking at them and you can tell they are high precision tools. The edges are clean and crisp, junctions are tight, etc. The Tronex handles come in two lengths, standard and ergonomic (denoted by the first digit in the part number being a 5 or a 7 respectively). The ergonomic handle is longer. I have large hands, I’m 6’ 4” (194cm), and these fit perfectly in my hands. To be honest, they are so nice and precisely done I am having a hard time capturing the quality on a cell phone camera. The Tronex tools use carbon steel because of its increased hardness (62-63 on the Rockwell C Scale) instead of stainless steel (only in the 50s). They even have tools for cutting harder wires like memory wire which have carbide tips. The downside is that carbon steel can rust so you should keep a light coat of tool oil on these tools. Being tools intended for electronics use, ALL Tronex cutters are ESD safe.

In the last image we can see the comparison between the Excelta rebranded Tronex and the tronex clipper. Both are basically identical in quality other than the Excelta has teal and black grips which are a tad more cushioned.

Needle-Nose Pliers

The needle-nose pliers are very nice, the tip comes to a very fine point (listed as less than 0.4mm). This is perfect for bending component leads. The thinness of the tip does give a bit of "sponginess" to the feel when bending leads but it works perfectly. The tip comes to a very flat precise junction at the end. The level of precision is exceptional. Though this tool has the only blemish on it of any of the tools. It looks like someone tapped the pliers with the grinder/polisher. See the last image for the discolored spot.

Edit: I have since found out that the samples they sent out might be factory seconds. That the cutting edges are perfect but they might have cosmetic blemishes which do not affect the performance. So any discussion of these blemishes and the quality control is irrelevant. Those purchased in stores would be in perfect condition, which to me is kinda funny. The quality is so high that a slight discoloration makes it a factory second.  ;D

Flush Cutters

I can't say enough about these cutters. They feel amazing in the hand. When they are making cuts, they snap responsively through the material being cut. They are tip is thin enough to get in between the legs of an IC for cutting, while still strong enough to easily cut through the leg. These are BY FAR my favorite cutters I have EVER encountered.

Anglulated Flush Cutter

These are a bit more of a specialty item but are every bit the quality of the standard flush cutters. These are very useful for getting to the legs of close IC's; as well as, due to the long cutting surface, cutting multiple legs at once. The foam grips are slightly more cushioned than the Tronex, not enough to make a difference in one way or the other. In the second to last image you can see the "set-screw". Due to the very precise nature of this particular cutter, this screw prevents the jaws from smashing together, which would dull the edges. This screw is set very precisely by Tronex in the factory. Due to their "hundreds of thousands of cuts" rating, this will likely never need to be adjusted in my lifetime.

Board Testing

I decided to do a bit of testing on an old scrap board that I had laying around. I tested the ability of both cutters to get in and cut the legs on a hindered IC. Both did it splendidly, though the angulated cutter can get in there a bit more easily due to its angled nature. This resulted in a slightly cleaner cut, both did the job though. I also illustrated how the angulated cutter can cut more than one leg at once.

A note about Excelta:

Also, I mentioned Excelta before, it turns out, at least some of the Excelta line is actually rebranded Tronex. In particular, the five-star line. I found this list which is a cross-reference between Excelta and Tronex part numbers:http://www.bomir.com/downloads/bomir/Excelta-Models-Crossed-to-Tronex-Models.pdf
I make no claims about its accuracy.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:50:06 am by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Super Contributor
Re: Tronex Cutters and Pliers
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 05:12:54 am »
Because a cellphone camera can only show so much, I was thinking about how to really drive the quality home. I came upon the idea of comparing EVERY cutter that I have and doing a 100 cut test to check how they wear.

Under the microscope

This turned out to be MUCH harder than anticipated. The microscope is a standard slide-type inverted stereoscope. It has no camera so I had to take pics via the eye pieces. This is surprisingly hard. Anyways, since I was going to this trouble, I decided to turn this review into more of a comparative. On the chopping block today are some Chinese made Radio Shack flush cutters (red handles), USA-made Xuron flush cutters (teal handles) and the USA-made Tronex cutters and pliers.

In this section ,I also test how strong the cutting edges are on the tools. To do this, I performed 100 cuts on some spare copper wire and then compare the before and after of the edges under a microscope. I was curious if I would see any signs of wear and tear on the cutters.

First, three images showing the various magnification levels used. These all focus on the Tronex text on the handle.

Radio Shack 5" Nippy Cutters (China)

First up we have the china made Radio Shack 5" Nippy Cutters. I didn't have much hope for these as they are more or less the bottom of the barrel in quality. They were as expected.

In the first microscope image, we are checking how well the cutters come together. These are being held closed by my hand and they should come gracefully closed at the tip. They should not be fully overlapped nor should they be fully apart. Fully apart means that you likely have to squeeze harder to make the cut. Fully overlapped means that the edges are hitting each and over time this can dull the cutting edges. What we see here is that they never come fully together. Meanwhile, in the second we can very clearly see the rough grinding marks. By the third and fourth microscope images, the lack of quality even on the cutting edge has become clear. The cutting edge is large, rough and uneven.

On to the 100 cut test:

The benefit of having such a rough cutting edge is that you can't really tell what is damage from the cuts and what is just bad manufacturing. Additionally, the final image shows a representative cut on a copper wire. Some "tail" is expected due to the nature of a cutting edge but this tail should be minimal. You can see the wire is cut but it leaves a VERY long thin tail in the middle. This is likely a direct result of the gap between the cutting surfaces. Across the board, this cutter screams cheap! I didn't expect quality and it didn't provide it. It doesn't so much cut the wire as mangle it into submission.

Xuron 170-II Micro-Shear Flush Cutter (USA)

Next up is the Xuron 170-II Micro-Shear Flush cutter. I had more hopes for these as they are made in the USA. Unfortunately, while they are better made than the RS ones in some ways, in others they are MUCH worse. This just goes to show that not everything that is USA made is high quality. The cutters have a Rockwell C Scale hardness of 53-56, which implies stainless steel. They were purchased directly from Amazon.

With these, the grinding marks and the edge are MUCH more fine than on the RS versions. Unfortunately, this is where the good points end. In the second image you can see that the tips of the cutters don't line up properly. While there is NO light visible between the cutters, these use a shear cut instead of a compression cut so the overlap is expected. The tips not lining up is much more worrisome.

Two problems here! First, we can see the softness of the steel coming into play. After 100 cuts, we are starting to see small pits in the cutting edge. If you look closely you can see them, they are much more obvious in person under the microscope but this was the best I could do to capture them. In the second image, we see something MUCH more worrisome. So much for flush cutting. This is the new Z-cut style :wtf: This is completely unacceptable for a supposed flush cutter. The 'Z' easily catches your finger nail, so the cut is far from flush. The cutter surfaces don't match up and quality control didn't catch this or worse possibly didn't care. This is unacceptable to me, even the Chinese cutters at least got THIS right. If I had to chose between this one and the RadioShack one, I am not sure if I could.

Tronex 7222 (USA)

On to the Tronex Ergonomic Handled Taper Relief Flush Cutter  Model 7222. I have the highest expectations for these and at this price point, they better perform more or less flawlessly.

Now THIS is what we are looking for. In the second image, the cutting tips gracefully come to a close at the very tip. We can see that the grinding marks are very fine (similar to the Xuron, maybe slightly better). The edges are very nice and sharp. You may see a few blurry distortions or spots along the edges. THis is the tool oil on the surface and/or dust sticking to the tool oil. In the final image, near the bottom you can see a small clear item along the edge. This is either a micro-droplet of tool oil or it might be a large unicellular organism (no joke as this is the magnification we use to count cells). Either way, the edge is clearly straight and uniform even at this magnification. VERY nicely done so far, on to the 100 cuts.

There is ZERO signs of wear after 100 cuts. Not ANYWHERE along the cutting edge. Considering this cutter is rated for hundreds of thousands of cuts, this is exactly as expected. It's still damn nice to see confirmed. Lastly, the cuts made are EXACTLY as I would expect them to be. There is a slight hump from the cut and that is it. If even that slight hump is unacceptable they offer a Razor Flush version which will make it dramatically smaller than even this. Frankly, at this point these cutters are clearly showing their greatly superior quality. If you can afford them, they are likely the last cutter you will ever buy.

Excelta 7182E Angulated Flush Cutter (USA)

These are the Excelta 7182E which are the same as the Tronex 7082. These are still considered flush cutters but the flush cutting ability is MUCH finer than the 7222, as indicated by the use of the set-screw. I have to say if this is also flush, I really want to see the razor flush.

As expected, being a rebadge, the quality is every bit as good as the Tronex branded cutters;  very high end. Here we see the angle section. Even on the non-cutting surfaces we see high quality.

On to the cutting surface, just as high quality as before:

Lastly, here is the cut it makes, it is amazing how perfectly flat this cut is. That nub is very small. I have a feeling the razor flush would be just that, razor flat!

Just as with the other flush cutter, the performance is perfect. Nothing more I could ask for at all. These Tronex cutters are incredibly precise. I really am very very impressed. They made a huge fan out of me.

Tronex 521  (USA)

The last one up is the one isn't involved in the comparison but I still got a few images of it under the microscope.

Clearly, the same precision that went into the cutters went into these needle-nose pliers. The sides of the pliers meet perfectly at the tip in a well machined junction. The edges are rounded where needed and sharp where needed. VERY high quality stuff. Unlike more industrial needle-nose pliers these pliers have smooth jaws. This is to minimize marring on components or jewelry.

Conclusion

If I had to rate these tools, I would give both cutters a 10 out of 10. While the pliers I would give a 9.5 out of 10 (minus a half point for the looseness of the silicone cover). The quality is second to none, the handles are soft, nicely cushioned without compromising feel, the performance is excellent. I really can't say enough good things about these. While to the naked eye, already the differences in quality are obvious. Under a microscope, the differences really become crystal clear. The Tronex tools are clearly hands over fists better quality, warranting every penny of the cost. Not only are you supporting an American manufacturer who supports American materials companies; you are getting a quality product that will last generations. This is top notch high precision manufacturing that at minimum meets any of the Swiss cutters out there.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Re: Tronex Cutters and Pliers (USA Made!) Warning Pic Heavy!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 06:30:00 am »
That is a great review, thanks.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 09:51:04 am »
See you've been busy... (on Garage Journal too)   :o  :-+

Wouldn't get too concerned over the protective jaw covers, as they're easy to lose IME (or split). Silicone rubber tubing (say ~3/8" ID) can be handy to have around, and you can customize the length when this happens.

I don't keep mine oiled other than the joints to prevent PCB & component contamination, and use wood cigar boxes instead. Perhaps robrenz could chime in here (protection from salt in costal locations).  :-//

FWIW, I find the Excelta's are easier to find than actual Tronex branded versions, but MSRP's on Excelta are excessive (deals may be possible if found on closeouts, overstock, ... on occasion however).

In terms of similarity, Swanstrom's are nearly identical (similar construction & made in the US). Quality and prices are on par too (slightly cheaper than Tronex last I checked, way cheaper than Excelta rebrands), so worth serious consideration IMHO. Will see about getting another pair or two, and doing a proper comparison with Tronex (only have an S512E with a lot of cuts on it right now).

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:10:36 am »
I saw the Tronex cutters at a UK show a while ago - pretty good but the UK disti doesn't seem to list the smaller ones - They had a pair that looked like they could cut QFP pins.
Pricing seems similar to Lindstrom, CK etc.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 10:38:34 am »
Very nice review!

Thanks for sharing
bye
quarks

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 02:31:18 pm »
I got a few Excelta cutters on ebay ridiculously cheap a few years ago, and they've lasted pretty damn well so far!

Didn't realise they were re-branded Tronex. Good info to know :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 04:00:01 am »
Thanks guys. I am glad you enjoyed my slightly unique take on reviewing cutters. I was hoping to better illustrate the difference of quality between cheap cutters and the higher quality ones. Hopefully this helped make the point more clear. While I am now a huge fan of Tronex, I have no doubt that other companies make very good cutters as well.

@nanofrog - yeah I have been a bit busy.  >:D

Yeah, I was hoping that Robrenz would chime in on proper care for these.

@Mike - I wouldn't be surprised if the 7222 could cut a QFP. The tips are quite thin, though maybe not quite thin enough for that. I don't have a board on hand to test it out (I can't find any boards on hand with a QFP, let alone scrap) but when I find one I'll check and see.

Also, I sent the link to the reviews to Nina@Tronex. She said they would send out a pair of the Razor Flush for me! I can't wait to test it out! :box: I will of course update the review accordingly!

She also had this comment:
Also, FYI: we do recondition our tools when needed. Some of our electronics customers doing repetitive cutting which (believe it or not!) can dull the blades over time. We resharpen, blast the tools clean, put on new grips and send them back for a small fee. Just good to know!!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 04:22:22 am by PedroDaGr8 »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 04:52:06 am »
Well I know what I'm getting to replace my Hakko cutters!

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 10:33:46 am »
Not sure I like the look of the handles. They seem nice but not in quite the same league as high end Japanese tools, at least in terms of ergonomics.
FWIW, I find them very comfortable, as I can use them all day without fatigue (I've only handled the 7xxx series). Plenty of grip, and still allow for very fine control. I even found I like the grips better than the other ergonomic models I have from Schmitz, Erem, and Lindstrom (Rx line).

They have the same feel as Swanstrom to me (could help if you've handled these).

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 11:17:11 am »
not in quite the same league as high end Japanese tools, at least in terms of ergonomics.

Any examples? 

I have a pair of the 7222s, only complaint is that the cutters don't go all the way back.  When snipping through hole leads for example you sometimes end up just straddling the wire.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 11:31:10 am »
Yeah, I was hoping that Robrenz would chime in on proper care for these.

Great review PedroDaGr8  :-+  :clap:

I have the 713 needle nose, the 7223 razor flush and the 5071 razor flush. I honestly have done nothing but use them as shipped and keep the covers on. No rust problems but my shop is heated and air conditioned. If I had a rust issue I would just give them a wipe with a rag dampened with Rustlick 606  :-+ moisture absorbing rust preventative spray. As with any precision tool don't drop it  :'( and don't lend it to anyone  :palm:

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 11:57:08 am »
not in quite the same league as high end Japanese tools, at least in terms of ergonomics.

Any examples? 

I have a pair of the 7222s, only complaint is that the cutters don't go all the way back.  When snipping through hole leads for example you sometimes end up just straddling the wire.
If I understand you correctly, you want a full profile grind/hone (cutting edges meet the entire blade length, no gap). This is usually a special order IME, but it's usually possible to get done when resharpening. Call or email and see what they can do for you.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 01:04:05 pm »
The 722X cutting edges don't go all the way back to the joint. So if you drop a wire all the way back in the cutter there is no cutting edge there to cut.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 02:56:07 pm »
Those two bits of flexible metal are leaf springs and their fatigue life will far exceed a coil spring. ;D

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 10:08:26 pm »
The 722X cutting edges don't go all the way back to the joint. So if you drop a wire all the way back in the cutter there is no cutting edge there to cut.
The standard profile/hone you usually get OTB is.

But it is possible to get blades that meet the entire length if you order directly from the manufacturer (special request, so not what would normally come OTB). Not all that convenient or cost effective, but resharpening services are a method for converting cutters already purchased.

FWIW, my Swanstrom and Erem cutters have been ground this way (factory & resharpened respectively).

Offline lapoltba

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 10:44:36 pm »
We have some very nice cutters at work but I don't remember the brand.  I do know however that they are expensive!

These look fantastic but I can't justify spending $40+ on a pair of needle nose pliers or flush cutters.

That being said, is there any chance they have an outlet store or something that the joe-schmo hobbyist can buy their "factory seconds" for a discount?  Hell, those factory seconds are better than nearly all of the brand new cutters I have purchased.  I'd buy those any day.  :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 04:24:48 am »
We have some very nice cutters at work but I don't remember the brand.  I do know however that they are expensive!

These look fantastic but I can't justify spending $40+ on a pair of needle nose pliers or flush cutters.

That being said, is there any chance they have an outlet store or something that the joe-schmo hobbyist can buy their "factory seconds" for a discount?  Hell, those factory seconds are better than nearly all of the brand new cutters I have purchased.  I'd buy those any day.  :-+

Oddly enough, asking that exact kind of question is how I ended up getting involved in doing this review.  :-DD

I never found out if they have a factory seconds or late models for sale at a discount. Your best bet is ebay, keep an eye out for Tronex and Excelta. You can occasionally find great deals, like the one nanofrog found. It isn't often but it is often enough if you are patient. The cutters are not a standard type, which means there is less interest in them but for us hobbyists are still VERY functional and useful. So be open to things that aren't exactly like the Tronex 722x

Offline rauloliv

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 09:39:23 am »
Any examples?

Hozan make some really nice stuff: http://www.hozan.co.jp/E/

Their handles are exceptionally good, and I prefer sprung mechanisms to the two bits of flexible metal many other manufacturers use.

Its also my opinion, apart from the quality of the tool itself it looks and feels very confortable, by looking at the handles you get that feeling that this guys do not save money on the details.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:18:22 pm by rauloliv »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 05:42:27 pm »
Any examples?

Hozan make some really nice stuff: http://www.hozan.co.jp/E/

Their handles are exceptionally good, and I prefer sprung mechanisms to the two bits of flexible metal many other manufacturers use.

Its also my opinion, apart from the quality of the tool itself it looks and feels very confortable, by looking at the handles you get that feeling that this guys do not save money on the details.

Regards

I don't think any of the top makers are cutting corners. It's just a difference in preference. Personally, I actually love the way the Tronex handles feel. Much better than most molded handles I have tried. I have not tried Hozan ,  but to call traditional handles old - fashioned is at best a misnomer. It's more a personal preference thing.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 10:29:04 pm »
The shape of the underlying metal is obviously carefully considered, but the covering is just heat shrunk over it. It's fine, but not as nice as the Hozan style. Hozan actually offer a variety of handles, including things like finger loops if you have a specific need for that kind of thing.

For me that's the fundamental different between western and Japanese products. Western products tend to be quite traditional, where as Japanese ones are always looking for ways to improve every single aspect. Tronex have been making handles that way for many decades, and people seem to like them that way so there is no innovation or improvement.
Some western manufacturers do offer different grips. Lindstrom, Schmitz, and Erem certainly do. Even Tronex will for ODM orders, such as on some made for Excelta (724xE for example).

Just no finger loops so far.  :box:  >:D

Offline Sjokolade

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 03:05:21 pm »
After reading this thread I bought some Hozan pliers, first impression are good - I really like the handles, overall quality seems very good.
I really like that Hozan took the trouble to fit a solid 'rod' between the jaws on the N-33 plier to prevent jaws twisting.

Some pictures for you to see.

If at first you do succeed try not to look astonished

Offline Sjokolade

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 03:06:25 pm »
A few more.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 03:07:34 am »
I really like that Hozan took the trouble to fit a solid 'rod' between the jaws on the N-33 plier to prevent jaws twisting.
It's used to keep the jaws from crashing into one another and getting damaged IME.

Just recently had a pair that the blades were damaged from this actually. Replacement pair have the set screw added to limit the closure distance, so problem solved.  :)

Offline Sjokolade

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 09:05:51 pm »
It's used to keep the jaws from crashing into one another and getting damaged IME.

Just recently had a pair that the blades were damaged from this actually. Replacement pair have the set screw added to limit the closure distance, so problem solved.  :)

I can't see how the 'rod' is supposed to prevent the jaws from crashing into one another - neither the rod or hole is conical and the right side jaw hole goes straight through, the rod is not stopping against anything really.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf