Author Topic: TS 200 Soldering Iron (Type-C)  (Read 19154 times)

Offline Free_WiFiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • https://tinyurl.com/y5nhpt2x
TS 200 Soldering Iron (Type-C)
« on: April 26, 2018, 12:10:38 am »

So what do you think about the new TS 200 ?

The following users thanked this post: KL27x

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
Re: TS 200 Soldering Iron (Type-C)
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 01:58:30 am »
Tip is too long.

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 02:17:25 am »
I’ll let you know when I can find it anywhere ......

Offline LeonR

• Regular Contributor
  • PC hardware enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 03:57:23 am »
It isn't listed on Mini's website yet.

http://www.miniware.com.cn/index.html

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 04:17:15 am »
If they were going to improve the ergonomics, they should have shortened the grip to tip distance among other things. They should have a better power connector, a burn resistant silicone cable and a power supply that looks like a traditional bench station.

Also, the tips should be priced lower. They're more expensive than some of the brand name cartridges tips.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 04:23:32 am »
The tip to grip looks ok to me. I take it this is a high output model for soldering lugnuts and the like at the top or radio towers and the bottom of the ocean. looks a little janky to trust for that.

OTOH, this looks like just the thing for the quadcopter and rc toy crowd. This segment of the population defacto likes techie toys and has money to burn.

Every i-Macguyver needs one of these to carry around with their Leatherman Juice and Arduino Nano pants. They need to add a pocket clip and asbestos pocket protector.

Marco Reps has a topic for a new video.

*There is a legit need for this,  but that isnt where they plan to make the their money. They are obviously going for mass appeal and previous TS purchaser, "collect 'em all" strategy.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 04:42:20 am by KL27x »

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 04:35:33 am »
If they were going make a new model, they should have added more useful improvements and changes. It's basically the same as the TS100 but with a round grip.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 04:47:34 am »
Grip looks improved, the roundness being part of it, and it looks a little bigger. It is still an odd shape to fit in a proper stand. I find it odd this aspect is completely ignored. I suppose the esthetics are more important. Seems like that is part of the success of the original. Looks cool, firmware upgrageable, OLED display. And thusly, the perfect lightsaber is constructed.

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 05:07:30 am »
It is kind of funny looking. If someone showed me the disassembled parts in the picture, I'd have to guess. "Well I'm not sure, but whatever it is, it's the stereo model."  :-DD

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 10:36:39 am »
Not sure I like the look of the, what appears to be a 3.5mm plug, on the back of the element. The existing TS100 copper contacts are good and have high contact pressure.
Best Regards, Chris

Online agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 10:54:16 am »
Not sure I like the look of the, what appears to be a 3.5mm plug, on the back of the element.

I'd say that is FUD. Weller uses a similar solution in their WXMP handle and it works just fine. Note how this solution has much more meat that sits within the handle than just the connector, presumably for support.

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 05:54:26 pm »
The photos posted here are the same on a page in the GitHub firmware thread, scroll down as it’s briefly discussed.

https://github.com/Ralim/ts100/issues/24

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 08:11:04 pm »
If they were going to improve the ergonomics, they should have shortened the grip to tip distance among other things. They should have a better power connector, a burn resistant silicone cable and a power supply that looks like a traditional bench station.

Also, the tips should be priced lower. They're more expensive than some of the brand name cartridges tips.

This tip looks even more expensive to produce than the last. Tight tolerances and a lot of material to machine.
There is a reason most manufacturers make the tip as simple as possible.

It does look quite similar to the WXMP tip as mentioned though (~$25/ea).
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 02:00:44 pm »

Just to be clear, this is a video by Marco Reps (baltersice). Just thought I'd share it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:12:07 am by TheAmmoniacal »

The following users thanked this post: MacMeter

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 02:04:51 pm »
I am very excited about it, transitioned to USB-C on all my devices and accessories now. The audio jack is easy and reliable, quick to change. But how much current can it handle?

The iron just needs to get power delivery negotiation right and support 20V (or 5V or 12V, i.e. profile 1-4).

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 06:04:06 pm »
I am very excited about it, transitioned to USB-C on all my devices and accessories now. The audio jack is easy and reliable, quick to change. But how much current can it handle?

The iron just needs to get power delivery negotiation right and support 20V (or 5V or 12V, i.e. profile 1-4).

Very cool, thanks for the video link, I forwarded it to the open source firmware leader, in case he hasn’t seen it.

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 08:37:50 pm »
Cool toy!  8)

However, I wish they'd have done a complete bench station first before upgrading the TS100. It really doesn't doesn't do anything more than the TS100 which most have already bought.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:55:08 pm by labjr »

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 09:50:25 pm »
Cool toy!  8)

However, I wish they'd have done a complete bench station first before upgrading the TS100. It really doesn't doesn't do anything more than the TS100 which most have already bought.

I don’t believe “bench stations” are this companies goal. The TS100 has been out for awhile now, not sure if they have any other products at all. Portable, affordable, though I have not yet the need to get into anything USB-C, hopefully they thought out the AC Power supplies for it. His video seems to indicate the newer version may have better heat delivery at a lower voltage, though I found it a bit confusing. Nice to have choices, though I’m totally happy with my TS100, made a cable adapter so it runs off of 18.5/20v Dewalt Lithium drill batteries, not capable of running a bench station. :)

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 09:58:29 pm »
As I mentioned above, most people who want a portable iron, probably already bought the TS100. Also, the TS80 probably isn't going to be a smash like TS100 because it's not a novelty anymore. If they want to expand their market they should make a bench station.

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 10:09:26 pm »
As I mentioned above, most people who want a portable iron, probably already bought the TS100. Also, the TS80 probably isn't going to be a smash like TS100 because it's not a novelty anymore. If they want to expand their market they should make a bench station.

Yes, you mentioned that, and I won’t repeat my response.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 10:52:21 pm »
Their LCR Tweezer-Tester is coming soon  ;)
But please,shshshshshshs.... I didn't told you nothing  ;)

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 09:16:14 am »
Their LCR Tweezer-Tester is coming soon  ;)
But please,shshshshshshs.... I didn't told you nothing  ;)

Now my U1733C is feeling insecure  ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:28:34 am by TheAmmoniacal »

The following users thanked this post: Free_WiFi

Offline LeonR

• Regular Contributor
  • PC hardware enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 12:40:33 pm »

a portable, multi channel with good power delivery (2x 75W) would be great for both standard and micro tips (maybe some quality hot tweezers at an affordable price? :) ), just like the T12 clones with a power brick.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 04:57:04 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf