Author Topic: TS100 Soldering Iron test ?  (Read 84484 times)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
Re: TS100 Soldering Iron test ?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 10:19:53 pm »
Damn I'd not see the TS100 before, that is perfect for several of my applications, thanks.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 05:43:09 am »
I suppose the initial impressions of the huge tip-to-handle distance are just because the handle is so skinny, so it looks long in comparison.

No need to reverse-engineer anything, the firmware and schematics are available here:
http://www.minidso.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=892&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D63

As for a 2x18650 iron, I think a LED torch body might be suitable for a base or battery holder. The heads of some of them are quite bulbous but you can find slimmer ones too. A boost converter can be fit in place of the LED and it'll have plenty of heatsinking.

Offline pmaggi

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 01:18:04 pm »
I recently bought one of these soldering irons. I normally use an ATTEN 8586 soldering station with a 907 type iron and was surprised how small the TS100 is.
Using the recommended power supply it works really well. I can solder as easy as with the station.
It reaches the working temperature (290 C in my case) in almost 10 sec.
At no time I could note the lose of temperature on the tips during the soldering, even when soldering "large" components.

Really a recommended product.  :-+

One positive thing that I noted is that the end of the tips, the one near the handle, doesn't get hot, so there is no danger of touching it by accident. It would be nice if some kind of stand could be supplied with the iron

Offline Mickster

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 02:02:41 am »
Been reading this forum for a while but I may as well lose my posting virginity some time...

I too bought one of these TS100 soldering irons, along with the 19.2V power supplies, from Banggood.
I have found it to heat up very quickly and hold the set temperature whilst soldering.
The length of the tip from the body is not a problem for me during usage and I have rather large hands.
I do not have any experience with high end kit such as Hakko, Metcal etc. so cannot make any comparison
with those, but I much prefer this iron over the likes of cheap unregulated irons, unregulated Weller 25W,
Aoyue 968, or various butane pencils that I have used in the past.

My $0.02

Offline Mark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 11:07:23 am »
I've been using mine for a few months and loving it.  It works very well from an old laptop power supply.  It heats up quickly and goes into sleep mode after a period of time, then wakes up when lifted.  Definitely a useful addditon to the bench and will take up little space in my travel bag. 

Offline AlessandroAU

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2016, 08:33:01 am »
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the oled display turn off after awhile? I worry about it wearing out when left on 24/7.

Offline thisguy

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 09:01:52 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the oled display turn off after awhile? I worry about it wearing out when left on 24/7.
If you don't move it, it drops to sleep mode at reduced temp. Don't move it for another 3-4 minutes, it turns the led off, drops to room temp (Standby mode). Pick it up after that the led comes on in standby mode (room temp). This is with firmware version 2.11.

The operating firmware for the iron is open souce. The boot/usbdrive/flashing firmware and tool chain are not open source.

I'm loving mine.

Offline alexanderik

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 12:22:26 am »
Hello
i make new firmware with voltmeter (if you use external powerbank 12-24V) and  left handed mode (settings from config.txt )  - https://goo.gl/QKreNR, description and source code on my github - https://goo.gl/iPkmJk?

I hope someone will be useful.

The following users thanked this post: m72, Matkovich_X

Offline hpapagaj

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2017, 09:29:22 pm »
Which tip do you recommend for general purpose?

B2 is the default, I am thinking on D24, everywhere this is the most recommended type of soldering tips.

What I am soldering? Pretty basic stuff: wires, esp8266 related components etc.  :)

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2017, 10:33:31 pm »
D24, BC2 and probably TS-K would be my choices. Not seen much use for tips as TS-I yet.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, hpapagaj

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2017, 01:08:41 am »
D24, B2(Default) and TS-BC2 for general
TS-I, TS-ILS and TS-C1 for tiny SMD work
TS-K and TS-C4 for solder pad clean and wick

Depending on personal usage and preference.
I recommend to buy the whole set and test, they are not that expensive to own them all

The following users thanked this post: hpapagaj

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2017, 12:30:22 pm »
I just wanted to share a quick tip (pun intended).

I've added a ptfe washer to mine, it sits on the 10.6mm 'step' at the base of the element so doesn't affect the mating depth. It provides a positive finger stop and makes it more compatible with standard holders. It also acts on it's own to keep the tip away from the work surface.

The temperature at the base of the element probably isn't high enough to actually need ptfe, but I had a washer to hand and you can find them easily on ebay anyway.

BTW, I agree -  the TS-BC2 makes a good general through hole tip but the TS-I still has plenty of thermal conductivity for fine work.

P.S. Does anyone know if the TS-K tip can be tinned? It looks a bit like a plastic cutting blade.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:47:07 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: nidlaX

Offline hpapagaj

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2017, 04:54:46 pm »

The following users thanked this post: TheBay

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 05:06:51 pm »
And what are these new tips?

Presumably either to provide additional cooling or to protect fingers (although the base doesn't seem to get that hot).
Best Regards, Chris

Offline YU2

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2017, 11:47:44 pm »
)I am looking for a decent solder station for up to about 50$. Is this TS100 the best it can get in terms of thermal power and heating speed?

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2017, 11:52:07 pm »
)I am looking for a decent solder station for up to about 50$. Is this TS100 the best it can get in terms of thermal power and heating speed?

I can say yes, for that price TS100 is absolute must buy. I have the TS100 and ERSA i-CON 2V. And i can say TS100 perform extremly well compared to my i-tool.
Also you can read this: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/(tip)-best-budgetcheap-soldering-stations-and-tools/

EDIT: TS100 will not only give you thermal power and heating speed, but also high performance and durable tips, good heat recovery, hibernation, standby, firmware freedom and all that for little money
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:57:34 pm by sn4k3 »

Offline TJ232

• Frequent Contributor
  • www.esp8266-projects.org
    • ESP8266 Projects
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 06:04:57 am »
I have them both and I think is, let's say, a liiittle bit exaggerated to say that TS100 is better than a ERSA i-CON 2V soldering station.
ESP8266 Projects - www.esp8266-projects.org
MPDMv4 Dimmer Board available on Tindie: https://www.tindie.com/stores/next_evo1/

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 10:00:07 am »

I can say yes, for that price TS100 is absolute must buy. I have the TS100 and ERSA i-CON 2V. And i can say TS100 perform extremly well compared to my i-tool.
Also you can read this: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/(tip)-best-budgetcheap-soldering-stations-and-tools/

EDIT: TS100 will not only give you thermal power and heating speed, but also high performance and durable tips, good heat recovery, hibernation, standby, firmware freedom and all that for little money

When costing, don't forget that you also need to source a DC power supply - as close to 24V as possible for best heat recovery. A decent brand (3 pin mains connector) laptop adapter with grounded output is the normal choice.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline YU2

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 12:05:58 pm »
 I already have one of the better hakko clones but I am not really sattisfied with the thermal mass and it does not solder smd good. So practically no use of it except for couple of application.
For electronics repairing I still almost always use my old 60 or 100W soldering guns they heat instatly but I would like to have some quality temp. Controlled iron that could replace them.

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2017, 01:18:01 pm »
I already have one of the better hakko clones but I am not really sattisfied with the thermal mass and it does not solder smd good. So practically no use of it except for couple of application.
For electronics repairing I still almost always use my old 60 or 100W soldering guns they heat instatly but I would like to have some quality temp. Controlled iron that could replace them.

Did you calibrate your T12 station? Because sometimes the offset is huge!

Offline YU2

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2017, 03:47:10 pm »
I have a classic Hakko handle clone, not a t12.

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2017, 03:58:00 pm »
I have a classic Hakko handle clone, not a t12.

What station are you using with?

Offline YU2

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2017, 06:42:38 pm »
Yihua 862d+
Iron is with a original hakko heater and it heats pretty fast. But trmall recovery is not sattisfied and I do  have some better tips. Uncomparable  to a good heat pistol.

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2017, 07:16:21 pm »
Yihua 862d+
Iron is with a original hakko heater and it heats pretty fast. But trmall recovery is not sattisfied and I do  have some better tips. Uncomparable  to a good heat pistol.

I think Yihua 862d+ is far away from the better T12 clones as you said.
Thermal recovery is controled by station so maybe the station you have sucks.
There are good T12 clones and cheap controllers that perform well

Offline YU2

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2017, 02:47:46 am »
Yea but ib ternmof smd and thermall mass ts100 is better even than a genuine t12 hakko, right?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf