Author Topic: uCurrent Gold AA Batteries?  (Read 3057 times)

Offline embeddedwesleyTopic starter

uCurrent Gold AA Batteries?
« on: June 19, 2015, 11:58:19 pm »
I just ordered a uCurrent Gold and am rather excited for when it shows up! Should be useful for measuring the sleep mode current draw on a micro controller project I am working on!

It says on the product page (http://www.eevblog.com/projects/ucurrent/) that you can use three AAA batteries instead of just a C2032 cell to achieve slightly higher max current ranges in each mode. Is there any reason not to use AA batteries? I did the math and the cost to capacity ratio makes the AA batteries cheaper in the long run compared to the AAA batteries, in terms of how much each battery will cost and how often you will need to purchase new batteries.

I can't see any reason not to use three AA batteries in series (other than perhaps it wont fit quite right in the case), but I just wanted to bounce it past the forum for a quick sanity check. Also this way if anyone else has the same question in the future, they will be able to see this post and have their question answered.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:09:50 am by embeddedwesley »

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
Re: uCurrent Gold AA Batteries?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 12:26:58 am »
you'd need need to make a triangular stack for them to fit in the case.

you can use rechargeables if you're worried about cost.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 12:34:58 am »
It's a just a case fit issue, if you can fit them, use them.

Offline embeddedwesleyTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 12:46:11 am »
OK awesome, thanks for all the input!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 07:25:31 am »
I just use the rest of the case thickness to store spare CR2032 cells, so I can change it quickly if it goes flat ( or I leave it on overnight again), and just use it as is.

Gold flash on the sockets though is suffering from fading, thanks to living in the corrosion capital of the world.

Offline MLXXXp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 10:09:10 pm »
Running the uCurrent at 4.5V will cause the LED to be very bright and will exceed the maximum current specified for the TPS3809 voltage supervisor chip. You may wish to increase the value of the 270 ohm LED dropping resistor, R4.

See this message and the next few following ones:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/oshw/current-gold-hw-design-question/msg404617/#msg404617

Also, unless you change the TPS3809 to one with a higher sense voltage, you won't be able to trust being able to "achieve slightly higher max current ranges in each mode" if you rely on the LED to indicate low battery.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 10:14:02 pm by MLXXXp »

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 02:18:17 pm »
He could add a diode at the battery input to provide reverse protection and the voltage drop.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf