Author Topic: UNGAR 9000 replacement tip  (Read 4994 times)

Offline GregDunnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
UNGAR 9000 replacement tip
« on: July 07, 2018, 03:18:32 am »
About 20 years ago I found this very nice used Ungar 9000 soldering station, complete with the little tray and adapter for the sponge.  I think it was around US$30.  It's served me well for all my projects since then; however, the tip is starting to slowly degrade and I think the contacts on the temperature slider are wearing out as well (luckily I don't need to set the temp very often).  It still appears to work fine, but honestly I need to consider a replacement tip as well as one with a slightly wider point on it, for soldering items bigger than ICs and tiny resistors.

Is it even worth buying new tips on the bay (as in quality items, not knockoff replacements), or is it time for a new unit?  I'd like one with an indication of the actual temp, because when I do need to change it, it's for specific uses and I know what temps work best for various types of solder and joints.  I'm certainly willing to maintain this one as long as tips are available.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate a manual for the unit, so I'm not clear on what series of part numbers to even look for...

Offline RomDump

• Regular Contributor
Re: UNGAR 9000 replacement tip
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 03:40:48 am »
Is it even worth buying new tips on the bay (as in quality items, not knockoff replacements), or is it time for a new unit?  I'd like one with an indication of the actual temp, because when I do need to change it, it's for specific uses and I know what temps work best for various types of solder and joints.  I'm certainly willing to maintain this one as long as tips are available.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate a manual for the unit, so I'm not clear on what series of part numbers to even look for...

Weller bought Ungar. You can probably get the manual from them.  I could only find old stock tips on E-bay for my Ungar as soldering tips for this iron isn't manufactured anymore. With shipping and duties it not really worth it anymore.
--
RomDump

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 07:39:10 am »
Well, no manuals have turned up either at Weller or in generic document caches online.   :-//  I may just have to nurse it along till I find a suitable new station for replacement.  Who knows, it may outlive me - I don't expect to be around in 40 more years.   >:D

I know the Hakko stations are highly regarded, but I'll hang on to this one before spending US$200 or more on a TC station.  There are some Chinese TC irons available, including a hot air blower, for well under $100 (which allegedly accept the Hakko style tips) - does anyone have experience with these?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 05:27:08 pm »
Check out the big discussion about the new Pace station that goes for about $200, it looks like a game changer.

Offline RomDump

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 05:45:50 pm »
I know the Hakko stations are highly regarded, but I'll hang on to this one before spending US$200 or more on a TC station.  There are some Chinese TC irons available, including a hot air blower, for well under $100 (which allegedly accept the Hakko style tips) - does anyone have experience with these?

I think the HAKKO FX-888D is comparative to Ungar soldering station and is around $100US. I really don't trust the Chinese knock-offs. You have many options now. Choose a soldering station base on your application. I personally have a FX-951 and it has better thermal profile than the HAKKO FX-888D. You get what you pay for.
--
RomDump

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 02:54:33 am »
Now that looks like a good deal.  I can get it locally for US$79 so I may add a backup station to my bench this week.

Offline precaud

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 12:59:05 pm »
Is there a number somewhere on the iron handle and/or tip? The 9000-series irons were sold under several model numbers. They are outrageously reliable. I've had mine for 25+ years, still using the original tip. I may be able to help with a spare tip.

If you don't find numbers, snap a good photo of the iron and tip.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 05:44:17 pm »
The current tip (in fact the only one I have) is a J9052; it's narrow and in fact the very end of it is starting to deteriorate and crumble, which makes it wider, and that's not necessarily a bad thing for the type of work I do.  I'd like to have a spare heating element and a few more tips for general soldering use.  If I can take it as read that all the tips start with 90xx, that would be useful info when hunting them down.  Not sure about the J designation?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 03:47:24 pm »
Update: I found a Canadian company which seems to have a small stock of Ungar tips and ordered a couple from them.  I'm still deciding on a replacement iron, but it's always good to have a backup, right?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 05:27:06 am »
The biggest table at the hamfest was a company selling... soldering irons, desoldering stations, solder and parts.  He had a lot of stuff: Weller, Hakko, JBC (!) and tips for all of them.  I had pretty much decided that I wanted a T12/T15 compatible iron because they are so common, with readily available tips, etc.  I was hoping that the fest would have some of the cheap T12 clone stations, but there were none to be found.  However, he had a handful of refurbished stations too.  Some were nice but not what I was looking for; however, there was a beautifully maintained Hakko FX-951 for less than half what I've seen them going for online; it even included a lightly-used Hakko tip and all the little accessories: tip holder, cleaner, etc.  So it went home with me.  I am still probably going to pick up a T12 clone kit just for the fun of building it and having a spare station I can toss in the car to do little jobs for friends, but I thought - after just buying a Fluke and an HP, why not go with a name brand especially when I can get it from a local company.

I must say I'm very impressed with it so far; it heats up FAST, is very light and comfortable to use, and actually takes up less space than my 9000 because I can put the tip cleaner and iron where I need it instead of having to stick the whole station out on the workspace.  Edit: because I'm a tinkerer, I opened it up - and checked to make sure it was all Hakko on the inside.  It's certainly a legit unit.  Now, of course, it is a bit quieter (beep instead of BEEP!) and no longer requires that pesky key. 

The other thing was that the seller had a big box of Ungar 9000 tips.  I grabbed one (very cheap) to see if it would work for me; the guy had plenty of them so I figured I could always get more.  Oddly, though, while these appeared to be genuine NOS Ungar parts in the blister packs, and have the correct part number stamped into the metal, the one I have is a fraction of a millimeter too large in diameter.  It won't seat completely in the tube with the heating element; it binds and I don't want to force it.  My existing tip is visibly smaller and fits snugly but not super tight.  I can probably call the guy Monday when his regular store opens, but does anyone know whether there might be a different version of the 9000 with different tip size?  This one matches the Ungar part description in all other respects (tip shape, etc.) so I'm puzzled as to why it doesn't fit.  I assume that I don't want to file it down to size because that'll take the plating off, right?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:29:56 am by GregDunn »

Offline gizmoco

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 03:55:29 am »
"Well, no manuals have turned up"

PM your email address & I'll send a pdf of the Ungar 9000 Instruction Manual

"The current tip (in fact the only one I have) is a J9052; it's narrow and in fact the very end of it is starting to deteriorate and crumble, which makes it wider, and that's not necessarily a bad thing for the type of work I do.  I'd like to have a spare heating element and a few more tips for general soldering use.  If I can take it as read that all the tips start with 90xx, that would be useful info when hunting them down.  Not sure about the J designation?"

Ungar and Ungar/Weller sold several tips;

Ungar 9000 Soldering Tips and Retainers         

Mfr”s Type   Description   Tip Size – In.   Reach – In.
Standard         
9010           Precision Point    0.01                   0.78
9011           Spade            0.03                   0.71
9012           Screwdriver    0.05                   0.62
9015           Screwdriver    0.07                   0.70
9016UG   Screwdriver    0.09                   0.55
9017           Screwdriver    0.03                   0.60
9018           Screwdriver    0.05                   0.60
9050           Conical            0.02                   0.85
9051           Screwdriver    0.13                   0.50
9052           Short Spade    0.02                   0.45
9037           Tip Retainer    -----                    -----

Thermal Thrust High Capacity         
9060           Screwdriver    0.10                   0.50
9061           Screwdriver    0.13                   0.50
9919           Tip Retainer    -----                   -----

The "Thermal Thrust High Capacity" tips were slightly larger and required a different tip retainer.

Ron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 04:12:07 am »
PM sent.   :-+

I have a list of all the (previously known to me) 9000 series tips.  The one I currently have installed is a 9050 (standard) and the one I picked up from the dealer was a 9058 (not shown).  I assume that this is one of the high capacity tips and therefore I need to talk to him about a possible exchange.  If so, "I learned something today".   :P

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 05:20:06 pm »
And to sort of close the loop on this: my order from the Canadian retailer arrived, and the tips fit.  They're just a tiny bit loose when inserted into the barrel, but tightening the collar seems to hold them satisfactorily.

The hamfest guy is letting me exchange the (rather less expensive) Ungar tips I bought, and also has a spare handpiece with heating element that he's willing to sell.  I'm going to run a few tests on this iron and then put it beside the Hakko for some comparisons; between the two of them I'm probably good for a lifetime now.

Thanks to all who helped with tip info and details. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf