Author Topic: Unusual USB connector pattern  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Fred27Topic starter

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
Unusual USB connector pattern
« on: October 18, 2016, 01:53:00 pm »
In the attached photo is two USB memory sticks. They're the tiny Verbatim ones that slot directly onto the USB socket without any metal housing. I recognised the connector pattern on the green one, but what's going on with the purple one?

Uploaded from my phone using Tapatalk, so I hope the image is a sensible size.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Unusual USB connector pattern
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 03:28:13 pm »
Someone got bored and went for the Optimus Prime logo look: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=optimus+prime+logo&FORM=HDRSC2 ? ;)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 04:01:41 pm »
More than meets the eye.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 04:38:08 pm »
That shape could be used to detect when the drive is plugged into the slot far enough to make reliable contact (because by that point the D+/- contacts in the socket will short the forward and rear pads on the drive), but it seems kinda iffy to hang that kind of detection circuitry off of a USB interface, particularly one where presumably speed matters.  I guess if you really wanted to know when the drive was about to be yanked out so you could do a graceful shutdown to avoid corrupting the flash it might be worth the trouble?

Offline cowana

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 09:28:08 pm »
The only time I've seen it before is on one of those USB touch lamps (which has contacts top and bottom, and works either way up):

There's no USB data comms on that though (only a PWM driver IC) - and it's a slightly different footprint, meaning someone else has come up with the same solution (and likely re-used the pattern on the lamp layout).

I can only imagine it briefly discharges the data contacts to GND as the device is plugged in?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 09:29:45 pm by cowana »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 12:51:26 am »
It could be purely stylistic, or perhaps the extra pads may be usable for production/test purposes; reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Differentsmartcardpadlayouts.jpg

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 07:04:35 pm »
It could be purely stylistic, or perhaps the extra pads may be usable for production/test purposes; reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Differentsmartcardpadlayouts.jpg

Why do those all have a center pad that is connected to an edge pad?
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 07:09:15 pm »
Those extra bits could be useful for "cleaning" the data contacts as the "plug" slides in and out.

Offline ericloewe

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 09:00:56 pm »

Why do those all have a center pad that is connected to an edge pad?
That's how the spec goes. I think all smart cards I've seen are like that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf