Author Topic: USB IrDA adapter (was: MetraHit USB IR DIY Interface)  (Read 5564 times)

Offline 0xdeadbeefTopic starter

• Super Contributor
USB IrDA adapter (was: MetraHit USB IR DIY Interface)
« on: July 01, 2015, 03:00:21 pm »
As discussed in another thread, it needs only a plain vanilla IrDA interface to communicate with a Gossen Metrawatt MetraHit meter from the Starline series. In my case the Metrahit X-Tra, but it should be the same for the Extra, Energy and so on.
While I have a working breadboard approach based on an "IrDA2 click" and a Chinese FTDI adapter, I wanted to create something more convenient.
I tried my best to allow a correct USB suspend mode by using the #PWREN/#SLEEP outputs as enable/disable lines for the IrDA part.
My idea is to fit the PCB into the a laser cut acrylic case so it can be mounted to the meter just like the real thing.
Anyway, before I order at Elecrow or so, I'd be nice if someone could have a look and tell me if I overlooked any blatant mistakes.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

The following users thanked this post: nikifena

• Super Contributor
Re: USB IrDA adapter (was: MetraHit USB IR DIY Interface)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:40:09 am »
Just for the protocol, I set up a page for this little project.
All the DipTrace/Gerber files etc. are released as Open Hardware and can be downloaded from a Git archive hosted by Bitbucket.
Tested it with an Metrahit X-Tra and Ultra, both work like a charm (even though Metrawin10 doesn't support the Ultra out of the box and needs a bit of special treatment to do so).

Offline edisitaru

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 08:31:59 am »
I want to buy such an interface, completely assembled, including the case. I own a Metrahit Tech.
Thanks!
YO9IBC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 01:49:02 pm »
Sorry bu I never really sold them. I gave away all the spare PCBs and a few kits (PCB + ICs) at cost price but that was many years ago and I never ordered a 2nd batch of PCBs. If you absolutely don't want to solder, you best bet probably is to try to get the IrDA2 click board and some UART/USB adapter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf