Author Topic: USB solder paste and fluids dispenser for SMT PCB prototyping and DIY boards.  (Read 18812 times)

Offline Docholiday

• Regular Contributor

Ok, Thanks for the video and now I know what an auger pump is. Here in America it is called a screw pump and used to pump heavy viscosity fluids that do not require large or minimal pressure as a force to move these types of fluids. My friend with the ranch and farm land called me back and explained he uses this concept on his ranch to pump feces to a holding pond.

I still do not see an advantage to this as you are still supplying external pressure as force to a cylinder that supplies glue, flux, etc, to a tube that houses a helical screw to disperse these materials. Still using the same pressurized force only using the helical screw as a path for the glue, flux, etc. You could have just used a straight tube. I do not see the helical screw contributing anything to the process.

I not trying to discredit your design but I am rather curious as to its theoretical operation and design. Sorry, it's the engineer in me.

Offline mahounyTopic starter

• Contributor
I use hand dispenser for smd solder past, and no problem at all, This  electronic device with only a stepper motor does not have any advantage against a hand dispense, only disadvantages

Electronic dispenser without auger pump, simple put any amount of fluid they want no control at all

For me it's looks like you either working for Fisnar... or don't know what you are talking about...

Otherwise, I cannot understand how do you use that volumetric dispenser which is made to dispense (user manual quote) "pre-selectable dosage from 1 to 5 cc..." for solder paste dispensing.
Solder paste should be applied by very very small amounts, NOT by 1CC !!!

"stepper motor does not have any advantage against a hand dispense, only disadvantages"
And what are so called "disadvantages" of stepper motors ?
Probably precision, or low current consumption, or low weight, or great  current consumption/torque ratio, or silent operation ???  ;D
I don't see any disadvantages, but only advantages!

"Electronic dispenser without auger pump, simple put any amount of fluid they want no control at all"

I think you have missed something...
Kindly check that video: https://youtu.be/hJer4Zql6w0
Components size : 0603, 0608...
Dispensing mode: "Manual"

If you can do better or even close to it, with your huge Fisnar hand dispenser, I invite you to make your own video and show it to community.
I believe, we all would love to see how fast and precise you can dispense solder paste with manual dispenser.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 08:36:17 pm by mahouny »

Offline Docholiday

• Regular Contributor
I use hand dispenser for smd solder past, and no problem at all, This  electronic device with only a stepper motor does not have any advantage against a hand dispense, only disadvantages

Electronic dispenser without auger pump, simple put any amount of fluid they want no control at all

For me it's looks like you either working for Fisnar... or don't know what you are talking about...

Otherwise, I cannot understand how do you use that volumetric dispenser which is made to dispense (user manual quote) "pre-selectable dosage from 1 to 5 cc..." for solder paste dispensing.
Solder paste should be applied by very very small amounts, NOT by 1CC !!!

"stepper motor does not have any advantage against a hand dispense, only disadvantages"
And what are so called "disadvantages" of stepper motors ?
Probably precision, or low current consumption, or low weight, or great  current consumption/torque ration, or silent operation ???  ;D
I don't see any disadvantages, but only advantages!

"Electronic dispenser without auger pump, simple put any amount of fluid they want no control at all"

I think you have missed something...
Kindly check that video: https://youtu.be/hJer4Zql6w0
Components size : 0603, 0608...
Dispensing mode: "Manual"

If you can do better or even close to it, with your huge Fisnar hand dispenser, I invite you to make your own video and show it to community.
I believe, we all would love to see how fast and precise you can dispense solder paste with manual dispenser.

Seriously, Do not allow this person to have control over you. He wants reaction and drama and is contributing nothing to the topic. Except getting people up in arms over his idea of a dispenser. Gee, just waiting for the next person to post "Well I use a bicycle pump with a needle on the end and that has advantages over all and any possible solution". Just not worth your time and effort to answer posts like those.

If the poster is happy with his/her solution and it is working - Then just let it be.

I purchased the dispenser from dmmt40 (1st gen) and very happy with it. I have used it a lot and gets passed around at school like a hooker. That dispenser too were observations from people that did not like the usb connector and preferred wall mart type power connector. Even then suggestions were that usb would not provide enough volts. That it should go up even higher 12, 24, 48 volts who knows. Although dmmt40's design being built around usb power curve. Moral of the story - no matter what you build, use, design, etc. For some it will not be good enough so they will stir the pot and start the drama.

• Contributor
Seriously, Do not allow this person to have control over you.
Oh, don't worry, he cannot get any control...
"Well I use a bicycle pump with a needle on the end and that has advantages over all and any possible solution".
Thanx m8, you've made my day !   :-DD
This is this is what I was thinking about, after reading his ridiculous statement about the disadvantages of stepper motors compared to hand dispensers.

Moral of the story - no matter what you build, use, design, etc. For some it will not be good enough so they will stir the pot and start the drama.
I can only agree with you  :-+
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 09:19:39 am by mahouny »

Offline cereyanli

@mahouny any news for new campaign ?

• Contributor
@mahouny any news for new campaign ?
The campaign will be relaunched in mid-September.
If you want receive the news you can subscribe to the mailing-list (no spam guaranteed) just send a mail to: kickstarter (AT) i-extruder.com
Regards

Offline cereyanli

Re: USB solder paste and fluids dispenser for SMT PCB prototyping and DIY boards.
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2016, 09:20:18 am »
@mahouny any progress so far ?

• Contributor
Re: USB solder paste and fluids dispenser for SMT PCB prototyping and DIY boards.
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2016, 01:50:51 pm »
@cereyanli
"any progress so far ?"

Yes :)

We have added : 2.5mm 4 contacts audio jack socket for the external trigger (For example: foot pedal or CNC)
And replaced the micro USB by 2.5 x 0.7mm power jack socket (we will provide the USB to 2.5mm jack + 110/240V power adapter ) so you can still connect the dispenser to any +400mA USB port (PC, Notebook, external USB charger or battery pack..)
Unfortunately our new PCBs were delayed by manufacturer, so probably will relaunch the campaign at the end of September :(
Sorry for the delay.

Regards

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2016, 02:24:28 pm »
Hi ,
here is just a quick 3D rendering showing how will look the external trigger and power jack sockets.
External trigger socket is 4 positions jack and will be used as trigger / power supply port. (+5V OUT, Gnd, Trigger,  +5V-9V IN)

It will be possible to supply power to I-Extruder, in two ways:
1. Via "Power supply" jack from USB power source.
2. From, for example, CNC machine via 2.5mm "trigger" jack socket.

Also you will be able to supply +5V to external semi-automatic triggers like IR or proximity switches, via "trigger" cable from I-EXTRUDER.

herbergeur d image
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:27:00 pm by mahouny »

• Contributor
Our new Kickstarter campaign is LIVE ! (17 October 2016)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2129383335/i-extruder-smart-solder-paste-and-fluids-dispenser
Be sure to promptly  get your "SUPER EARLY BIRD" reward ! (limited quantity)

I-EXTRUDER is smart Air-Free solder paste and fluids dispenser with "Pull Back" feature, and can be used for : PCB assembly and prototyping,  DIY projects, crafts, professional or industrial  products assembly.
It is very compact, nearly silent, light weight (110gr) and combines the precision of linear stepper motor drive technology, the intelligence of microprocessor control, and the flexibility and cost-effectiveness of 10ml plastic barrel reservoirs.

I-EXTRUDER could be used for the application of: solder paste, compounds, retainers, silicons, adhesives, epoxies, sealants, greases, lubricants...
Also, with NEW "Pick&Place" feature,  I-EXTRUDER can be used as manual and almost completely silent Pick and Place tool.

I-EXTRUDER is fitted with the External Trigger jack socket and can be triggered by : foot pedal switch, IR or Inductive proximity sensor, or +3.3V or +5V impulses from CNC machine.

I-EXTRUDER consumes only 1.6 kWh/year (2h of use per day x 366 days), and could be powered from any 5V USB source (+0.5A): PC, laptop, USB power adapter, portable USB charger (battery pack).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:02:10 pm by mahouny »

Offline dmmt40

• Regular Contributor
Also, with NEW "Pick&Place" feature,  I-EXTRUDER can be used as manual and almost completely silent Pick and Place tool.

Pick and place? mmm that’s sounds very familiar…
https://dmdispenser.wordpress.com/advanced/pick-up-mode/

It’s also on my DM dispenser which has been on sale for the past four months.
Anyway I guess I’m flattered that it served as an inspiration, good luck.

• Contributor

Pick and place? mmm that’s sounds very familiar…
Anyway I guess I’m flattered that it served as an inspiration, good luck.

Hi Dan,
yes, you are absolutely right ;) that was a very cool idea.
So, we though that it will be kinda stupid to not integrate such handy feature into I-EXTRUDER.
Anyway, with your and our dispensers, who need those compressor powered dispensers and pick&place machines any more  :-DD

Regards,
Khamzat
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 05:30:29 pm by mahouny »

Offline dmmt40

• Regular Contributor
yes, you are absolutely right ;) that was a very cool idea.

Ha I knew it! That was too much of a coincidence.

So how does it work with the smaller 10cc syringe? In my case I’ve found that there’s a bit of a learning curve, but with practice the same results and speed can be achieved as with a real vacuum powered machine.  In fact that’s how I’ve assembled the 30+ dispensers that I’ve sold so far.

This feature also makes the dispenser useful for people who already use stencils on their boards and would otherwise not bother getting one.

Anyway, with your and our dispensers, who need those compressor powered dispensers and pick&place machines any more

Yeah, it really is a no brainer if you regularly make one-off prototypes, especially for people who are space limited and can’t have compressors and hoses in their workspace. So far everyone has been very satisfied with my dispenser so I assume you’ll get happy customers too (eventually)

• Contributor
So how does it work with the smaller 10cc syringe?
Oh, it works pretty well.
Of course, as you noticed, there is a bit of learning curve, but it's menu are very intuitive.
with practice the same results and speed can be achieved as with a real vacuum powered machine
And it's so nice that there is no bulky compressor which makes that terrible sound "BRRRRR- GRRRR"  :-DD

By the way, since we've made our previous I-Extruder prototypes, we do all our PCBs prototypes small series assembly using I-Extruder, and it's really cool   :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf