Author Topic: very tiny ultrasonic cleaner?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
very tiny ultrasonic cleaner?
« on: August 22, 2018, 02:29:31 am »
Can anyone recommend a transducer or a model of a ultrasonic cleaner that is utterly tiny and adorable, for say cleaning single parts on a bench top prior to soldering?

I am talking like a 1 inch by 1 inch tank

more for getting rid of the wax found in green rogue then for actually cleaning oxide off a part.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: very tiny ultrasonic cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 04:42:23 am »
Wouldn't it be easier to just use a more standard size cleaner and wash multiple parts at a time? You can get them that are pretty compact.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 07:54:10 pm »
There are some small plastic units, but they are probably garbage:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Portable-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Home-Mini-Automatic-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-for-Glasses-Contact-Lenses-Jewelry-Watch-Cleaning-Machine/32859413022.html

I would get the smallest size standard metal unit, as already suggested. The good transducers are already 4cm x 5cm or so.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:49:47 am »
Look for an ultrasonic cleaner intended for jewelry.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 01:49:06 am »
Look for contact lens cleaner, it is available in very small form approximately a ping-pong ball sized for the whole unit.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 01:51:27 am by BravoV »

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 11:57:09 am »
Are they built well? I bought a tiny one before and it was a 60Hz buzzer not a damn ultrasonic device.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 02:20:58 pm »
The transducer from an ultrasonic humidifier I bought years ago - it cost around $5 - was sold for use on Halloween decorations does a semi-decent job of cleaning my glasses and other small objects when I want it to. I use soapy water with some rubbing alcohol added in.  I put it in a Pyrex (thick glass) baking pan thats just the size of the glasses and not much larger. It emits a directional beam of sound underwater. You can see it removing the gunk wherever its pointed. I've also used it on very small PCBs. (LNAs) with some citrusolv. It removed the solder flux residue.

I have no other ultrasonic cleaners to compare it to. I should probably buy one, they are so cheap.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 09:56:50 pm »
Are they built well? I bought a tiny one before and it was a 60Hz buzzer not a damn ultrasonic device.

Some are.  One of the jewelry cleaner ones I had was if anything too powerful as it had to tenancy to destroy anything which was not tough.

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 10:52:24 pm »

I have a cheap ultrasonic cleaner, it buzzes at 60hz (maybe 120hz) as well, I think it's using unsmoothed rectified DC to run the oscillator.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 11:27:38 pm »
60 hz is not ultrasonic though, its a sonic cleaner.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 04:56:57 am »
It's still ultrasonic even if the ultrasonic waveform is modulated by a 60Hz (or 120Hz) carrier as you'd get by powering it from unfiltered rectified AC.

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 05:21:03 am »
I'm pretty sure mine was just a vibramotor attached to a container with epoxy, it did not behave like a ultrasonic humidifer that is 60hz modulated ultrasonic. It did not work at all and i got it at the thirft store for like 4$

I thought you got a similar 'bargin', where the 'oscillator' was a vibrator torn out of a dumpster recycled dildo
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:22:49 am by coppercone2 »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 06:19:05 am »
If you want to know if it is a true ultrasonic cleaner, throw some aluminum foil into it.  It should quickly produce holes in the foil.  My jewelry cleaner would render the aluminum foil into micro confetti in short order.

Most designs feed the power oscillator with rectified but unfiltered AC producing a 120 Hz AM modulation.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 01:54:11 am »
The little ultrasonic mist-maker does work well enough to occasionally be pressed into service in cleaning and degreasing of small objects - it usually only takes a few seconds before the liquid has acquired most of the gunk that was attached to whatever is being cleaned. I have nothing else to compare it to, though. Its likely anemic compared to a real cleaner.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 11:44:38 pm »
Now to find a western counterpart

Speaking of which, is the design of the mechanical impedance match circuit in a swept one (to decrease point stresses caused by quasi? resonances) different then a fixed frequency one with purchased cleaners? I forgot to mention it had to be electronics safe, so spread spectrum to reduce stress on bond wires if they have a narrow suceptability.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:47:03 pm by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf