Author Topic: Video Dino-Lite USB Digital Microscopes Review and Experiments  (Read 8318 times)

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
Video Dino-Lite USB Digital Microscopes Review and Experiments
« on: September 08, 2014, 04:29:16 pm »
In this episode Shahriar takes a close look at some of Dino-Lite’s USB Digital Microscopes and accessories. Two of the microscope stand offerings from Dino-Lite are demoed (model MS36B and RK-10) with a close look at their features and usability. All USB stands offer precision Aluminum bodies and flexible ranges of motion for a variety of viewing angles and distances.

Three USB Digital Microscopes from Dino-Lite are also demoed: models AM4113ZTL Dino-Lite Premier, AM4515ZTL Dino-Lite Edge and AM4815ZTL Dino-Lite Edge. These microscopes offers features such as large magnification combined with long working distances, adjustable polarizer, adaptable cap design, MicroTouch shutter button, extended depth of field (EDOF), extended dynamic range (EDR) and automatic magnification reading (AMR) which are all compatible with the provide DinoCapture 2.0 interface software.

Using Dino-Lite’s microscopes, a variety of electronics components are presented: An Analog Devices PCB containing 0102 footprint components, A PIC UV erasable Silicon die, a 325GHz horn antenna, a composite wafer probe with 150um pitch from GGB industries. Finally, the complete breakdown of a QuinStar mm-wave PA module is shown with microwave filters, pre-amplifiers, and a Wilkinson-based GaAs PA as a final stage.

You can watch the video here: [44 Minutes]
http://youtu.be/1U5wcJ98_rU

More videos at The Signal Path:
http://www.TheSignalPath.com

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: Video Dino-Lite USB Digital Microscopes Review and Experiments
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:04:15 pm »
Thanks for a great review. I would not have expected this quality from a simple USB based microscope.
Especially the capability of measuring distances in such a detail seems to be very helpful.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 03:54:24 am »
No prices on their website and did I hear correctly at the end of your video about $1,000 range?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 05:07:08 am »
No prices on their website and did I hear correctly at the end of your video about $1,000 range?

That is for the top of the line model including the more expensive rack. The scopes themselves start from $199.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline nixfu

• Supporter
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:32:16 pm by nixfu »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 03:01:18 pm »
Lots more good (and MUCH cheaper) options for the bench here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-566-cheap-usb-microscope-reviews/90/

I am looking at this $89 one myself for SMT work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dental-USB-LED-Microscope-Endoscope-Magnifier-Oral-ENT-Camera-Vedio-Otoscope-/261473927434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce10f810a

I am all for competition and lower prices. But what you have linked to on eBay is not even remotely in the same league, which is fine of course, it is much cheaper.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 05:28:54 pm »
As always we get what we pay for. I have bought cheap Chinese made test equipment in the past and it was either unfit for purpose or it fell to pieces within a year. Now I save up my money then purchase quality equipment such as the microscopes that Shahriar has just reviewed. The clarity of the images on Shahriar's monitor should be enough to settle the argument.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 05:37:00 pm »
The only and huge problem with the ones reviewed is the frame rate, that kills them for me.
On the Dino Lite website they have 60 fps ones but I bet those are the ones in the $1000 range, I couldn't find the price list.

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 10:50:08 pm »
I have been enjoying your repair videos Shahriar you need to do some more. :)
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 04:10:12 am »
I have been enjoying your repair videos Shahriar you need to do some more. :)

For sure. Next video is a repair video, I promise! And it is a pretty tough one I think...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 09:00:13 pm »
The only and huge problem with the ones reviewed is the frame rate, that kills them for me.
On the Dino Lite website they have 60 fps ones but I bet those are the ones in the $1000 range, I couldn't find the price list.
http://www.microscope.com/digital-microscopes/dino-lite

The least expensive AM4113ZTL is $549, and the top end AM4815ZTL is $849 of the units reviewed. The MS36B stand is $169 and the RK10 stand is $269. Might be able to find it for less if you hunt (i.e. via email or phone).

They're nice, but keep in mind you can get an entry level Mantis Compact for what the AM4815ZTL + RK10 stand goes for, and a nice trinocular Amscope w/ 5MP camera for a lot less (example).

Offline Jane

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 01:59:48 pm »
Can anyone explain how  resolution and magnification correlate?
E.g.AM7013MZT4 model has about 470 x magnification and 5 Mega pixels resolution
but
AM4515T8 has only 1.3 Mega pixels but magnification up to 900.
I thought the higher resolution, the higher magnification

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 09:03:51 am »
E.g.AM7013MZT4 model has about 470 x magnification and 5 Mega pixels resolution
but
AM4515T8 has only 1.3 Mega pixels but magnification up to 900.
Think "glass" rather than silicon. Ie, the optics.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 12:15:59 pm »
No they are two different things. They do not correlate. You can have 1000 times magnification, with only a single pixel of resolution. Of course, by itself that pixel is almost useless. However they can lead to the same thing:

Resolution, broadly speaking, tells you how many points your camera can distinguish from each other. That is how many parts of an image your camera can make out as different.
Magnification on the other hand tells you about how large the area is, that you take in image of. Say you have a camera with a resolution of 9 Mpixel. You want to photograph an area of 3cm x 3cm. Then you will be able to make out details lager than one micro meter (provided your camera can focus that). Now if you have two times magnification on your camera, you can only see a 1.5cm x 1.5cm part from the same distance. But with that higher magnification, you will be able to make out details twice as small, that is larger then 0.5 micro meter. If you had an 18 Mpixel camera with the same magnification, you could make out the 0.5 um detail from double the distance away. Hope that helped.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:21:37 pm by con-f-use »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf