Author Topic: Wall warts and Barrel jacks  (Read 3057 times)

Offline apellyTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Probe
Wall warts and Barrel jacks
« on: May 24, 2015, 07:10:31 am »
Do any of you guys have a recommended supplier for wall warts? I have one in particular I need to replace, but I'd rather it wasn't total crap; it'll be on 24/7.

I did replace a couple of caps in the original one, but that obviously wasn't the only problem. Maybe I'll get back to it, but a replacement will probably be cheaper than fixing it anyway.

While I'm here, what power connectors have you guys settled on for your projects? Aside from USB, I'm thinking barrel jacks aren't all bad. If you use them, what size did you decide on?

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
Re: Wall warts and Barrel jacks
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 07:34:48 am »
2.1mm jacks are what I use and I get wall warts from a local security camera company. They last very well. I'm from Canada so not much use but the 2.1mm barrels are by far the most common. I'm using it on all my new stuff.

Offline apellyTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 12:07:10 pm »
The problem with USB is that it is supposed to be 5V only. I wouldn't put anything else on it, in case someone decides to charge their phone...
Correct. I only mentioned it because it's absolutely the way to go for 5V

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 05:33:47 am »
I have the same question as well, also need 5V 1A, barrel or USB jack but USB jack is prefered. Will check Digikey, but a little cheaper would be nice, without compromising too much quality/safety.

edit: hmm, these seem alright: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PSA05A-050QA-H/993-1255-ND/4571898. But you're right $8.5 a piece when you add a decent length cable and the connector to the mix.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:51:39 am by Muxr »

Offline mdronic

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 05:45:29 am »
 I get wall warts from radio parts in Melbourne. If you get multiple s of the same item (tc) you can get a discount or price break, Sometimes up to half. If you get over $100 I think in metro area free delivery. ? Also get discount if you get trade card I think you just have to spend a certain amount in a year but ask. I've never had a problem with them.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:13:34 am by mdronic »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 03:08:51 am »
Fry's had a 10 for $3 deal, but it's over now. I suspect it was a marketing stunt to pull in customers.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/teardown-$0-30-usb-power-supply-at-fry%27s/

BTW, the Fry's I bought the adapters from had lots available on the third day of the week long special. Not surprising when it is pretty far from the city center, though it was fairly close to my route to work which is partly why I decided to make a stop there.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 03:21:44 am »
We use the Mean Well units a lot and have had virtually no issues with them.  Way better than the ones we were buying from WES.

As for the barrel jack size, we use 2.1mm size and that's what a lot of the Mean Well units have by default.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 03:23:42 am by David_AVD »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf