Author Topic: Weller WES51 Digital soldering station vs. Hakko FX888 soldering station  (Read 20115 times)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Deal Extreme offers one for approx. $120, although people are worried it might be a fake.
I have one of those and I'm convinced it is a fake. Works fine, and looks genuine enough, but there's a completely different PCB in there and a differrent power switch, transformer and diameter of cable to the iron (thought it is heat-resistent silicone).

I'm not convinced it's a fake. It's just a MIC version but not OHL
But it is still wwwwaaayyyyy too much for being a 936 inside
No point buying the DX one when you can have a 936 for much less ( Because, like i said it's the same )
http://the4thpin.comeze.com <-- Rants and Reviews! sorry my english  :palm:

Offline voltamp

So which do you think is better, buying a weller station at 220v or buying the 110v hakko and using a 100w 110 to 220v transformer?

Online Codemonkey

• Regular Contributor
You can buy 230V Hakko irons in europe from Dancap Electronics: http://www.dancap.co.uk/soldering/fx888.html

Offline voltamp

I have contacted with them and they say they don't ship outside UK

Offline LEECH666

• Frequent Contributor
My main soldering station is a WSD81 and I am very happy with it. Bought it used on eBay for around 120 to 160 Euro (can't remember the exact price). I've never dealt with the Weller customer service, but my station is out of warranty anyway.

Cheers,
Florian

Offline WorldPowerLabs

• Regular Contributor

However, Weller as a company is far worse to deal with compared to the friendliness of Hakko USA.

I've never contacted Weller, but Hakko's service is great.  Very responsive, and they actually stock parts for discontinued items (at fairly reasonable prices, too).

In the electronics lab of the company where I used to work, we had 936s going all day, 5 days per week without a single failure.  That's why I bought one for myself 8 or 9 years ago and mine still works flawlessly.  I've only had to replace tips a few times.  The Hakko irons are very comfortable in the hand, too.

My experience with using Wellers is limited to the older models, so I don't know how comfortable their newer irons are...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
My experience with using Wellers is limited to the older models, so I don't know how comfortable their newer irons are...
The iron handles I have are quite comfortable IMHO (WMP & WP80 irons).

Weller's QC has declined compared to what you're acustomed to with the older models, and generally are expensive (a WMP or WP80 iron alone is $122USD; adding a stand brings it up to $158USD, either of which cost more than an entire FX-888 here in the US).

Offline M. András

• Frequent Contributor
haha try to consider the wrmp iron thats expensive, but really small lightwieght and easy to work with

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
haha try to consider the wrmp iron thats expensive, but really small lightwieght and easy to work with

Dude, the 936's handle feels good and isn't too big or too small, but an wmrp is plain overkill and modern weller is a POS
http://the4thpin.comeze.com <-- Rants and Reviews! sorry my english  :palm:

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
True, but the WMP and the WP80 are just irons (no power unit or stand). ;)

Offline M. András

• Frequent Contributor

True, but the WMP and the WP80 are just irons (no power unit or stand). ;)

its only the iron http://www.weller.de/products/product.php?pid=51
the station and the iron's stand another story :)
edit: im thinking about eaither buying a new tip for this cos the stock one 1 f**** small (rt3) eiather a gull wing style rt10 or the 55watts one chisel tip rt11 or to buy a complete 120watts wp 120 set for higher mass soldering

sorry for the completly off topic
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:38:14 AM by M. András »

Offline LEECH666

• Frequent Contributor
My irons from left to right:

Pace SP-2 Sodr-Pen - Kind of in between the other two. Not bad. Belongs to my 3 channel Pace MBT-250 (among other hand pieces).

The WSP 80 soldering pen that comes with the WSD-81 station is excellent in my opinion. Very light and fits my hands perfectly.

LR-21 soldering iron. Belongs to my older Weller WECP-20. Gets hot on the grip after a while. I wouldn't recommend it for continuous use and it's too bulky for my taste.

I don't use them 24/7 but i have a feeling that, even though they are old stations, they will last me a long long time.

I don't know the new Weller stations, but who really wants a freaking touchscreen (unprotected LCD?) on their soldering station? Is Weller trying to be Apple now or what?

Cheers,
Florian

Offline M. András

• Frequent Contributor
if you are referring to the wx series stations. i dont know who had the idea of make the irons "smart" by giving it a simple small memory to store settings specific to it. while completly rendering the old irons useless with the station series cos it simply wont recognize them or dunno i dont have 1 and never will. i love tools which are multipurpose. as a base station it should be drive all of their irons (smiling at a wr3m rework station, but the cost of them makes me sad)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
edit: I'm thinking about either buying a new tip for this cos the stock one 1 f**** small (rt3) either a gull wing style rt10 or the 55watts one chisel tip rt11 or to buy a complete 120watts WP 120 set for higher mass soldering
At least it's not a conical tip.  ;) But yeah, 1.3mm is too small for general use IMHO as well.

I'd go for the RT11 for general use, and the RT10 if you do a lot of drag soldering (I'd be concerned with getting too much solder in the joint for general use). Definitely cheaper than going with the 120W iron + stand + tips though (unless there's something you're doing that needs that large an iron).  :P

Offline EEMarc

• Regular Contributor
I bought a Weller WESD51 when I started my company a few years back making circuit boards. I used be really like it. It had very good tips that lasted a long time. It is fast to heat up and recover from heavy duty soldering. It even looks great. I liked it almost as much as the significantly more expensive solder stations that I've used over the years. The only downside I had was the complicated tip calibration albeit I am an EE which makes it not a big deal for me.

Last year, I recommended the station to a friend and bought a stock of tips. That friend wasn't happy when it showed up dead on arrival. Defects happen. Then I changed my old tip and started using it. I noticed almost soon after that the solder wasn't sticking to the tip in certain areas. It made is more difficult to use. After a thorough tip cleaning, it returned to normal... for a while. I switched tips to another and it was equally as bad. I am now going through tips at a rate of over $100 per year, from the original tips I purchased a few years ago. They also require much more cleaning. I feel like I switched back to a cheap soldering iron. Apparently Weller went cheap with their WESD51 tips.

Just this past week, another friend mentioned to me that he is considering switching his 4 Weller WES51 soldering stations to Hakko. I'll try his stations if he ends up switching. I am seriously considering switching to something else myself. It's kind of a shame because I really like the look of my WESD51 station more than any other station I've seen. The Hakko models look like they were made by Fisher Price.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf