Author Topic: What are the smallest and most functional for their size bench supplies?  (Read 16853 times)

Offline mdijkens

• Regular Contributor
Re: What are the smallest and most functional for their size bench supplies?
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 09:16:33 pm »
I have build a small one for easy bring along.
It's based on the DP30V5A and I added a temperature controlled fan and some big capacitors in the smallest case that still fits.
It is powered by any 5V-30VDC (max output is 1V lower). Most of the time, I use my laptop power adapter

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 10:51:53 pm »
AimTTi PL series for me.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 12:41:15 am »
I've got two TTi PL supplies. They're really large and heavy.

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 01:48:21 am »
The HP 6235A is first power supply I reach for.  They really came up with a winner on this instrument.

Except for the lack of a controllable current limit, I love mine.

Offline crazyguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 03:30:56 am »
It's based on the DP30V5A and I added a temperature controlled fan and some big capacitors in the smallest case that still fits.
It is powered by any 5V-30VDC (max output is 1V lower). Most of the time, I use my laptop power adapter

DP30V5A is DC/DC Step Down Converter

There is another model (DPH3205) which is buck-boost version, DC/DC Step Up/Down, it is quite good for laptop power adapter.

DPH3205 160W Buck-boost Converter Constant Voltage Current Programmable Digital Control Power Supply Module Color LCD Voltmeter
http://www.banggood.com/DPH3205-160W-Buck-boost-Converter-Constant-Voltage-Current-Programmable-Digital-Control-p-1105294.html

Original manufacturer shop on Taobao
https://shop59318659.taobao.com/category-926718292.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.yygfQ0&search=y&catName=%EE%A3%B5%C7%CA%FD%BF%D8%B5%E7%D4%B4%CF%B5%C1%D0

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 09:05:59 am »
The HP 6235A is first power supply I reach for.  They really came up with a winner on this instrument.

Except for the lack of a controllable current limit, I love mine.

Wire and fire!

I've learned the value of a 10 ohm .25W resistor in series with your circuit in these circumstances. Visual and olfactory indicator of overload.

The following users thanked this post: t_ryner

Offline mdijkens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 09:15:53 am »

There is another model (DPH3205) which is buck-boost version, DC/DC Step Up/Down, it is quite good for laptop power adapter.

DPH3205 160W Buck-boost Converter Constant Voltage Current Programmable Digital Control Power Supply Module Color LCD Voltmeter
http://www.banggood.com/DPH3205-160W-Buck-boost-Converter-Constant-Voltage-Current-Programmable-Digital-Control-p-1105294.html

I also looked at that one, but it needs a lot bigger case with the extra pcb. My #1 design-goal was small size. I can take my psu in the pocket of my jacket  :) and have CC and CV capabilities with me

Offline crazyguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2017, 09:50:22 am »

I also looked at that one, but it needs a lot bigger case with the extra pcb. My #1 design-goal was small size. I can take my psu in the pocket of my jacket  :) and have CC and CV capabilities with me

This one is very small (pocket size, CC/CV capabilities)

B3603 DC LED Digital Controlled Step Down Driver Power Module
http://www.banggood.com/DC-LED-Digital-Controlled-Step-Down-Driver-Power-Module-p-910096.html

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/b3603-dcdc-buck-converter-mini-review-and-how-the-set-key-could-be-fatal/

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2017, 11:05:04 am »
Well, if price isn't an issue, then the ZUP series from TDK-Lambda are very nice. They have quite a range of available voltage/current.

https://us.tdk-lambda.com/lp/products/zup.htm

I've played around with some of these and seem really nice, though for some reason the remote operation through RS232 was painfully slow. Another annoyance is that the terminals are on the back on the unit.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:08:15 am by cat87 »

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 12:34:45 pm »
I've got two TTi PL supplies. They're really large and heavy.

Really large? Heavy? I don't agree with you. A DP832 is really large and heavy.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2017, 01:00:02 pm »
I take that back. They have shrunk somewhat! :)

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2017, 03:45:47 pm »
@SingedFingers

Is it my poor eyesight or did you not connect your green jack to the input ground?  Or did you want it to float?

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2017, 04:23:45 pm »
There's an earth wire to the anchor point on the transformer but it's hidden underneath the red and black wire bundle - you just can't see it.

Well spotted though! :)

I just knocked up the chassis for a voltmeter to go with it:

I'll do some magic with a TLC271 and some resistors later and make DC, AC and RF probes for it and draw the calibration out on the meter panel.

This could be addictive. Already got a low distortion sine oscillator on the breadboard that works that will fit in one of these cases :)

This won't see more than about 30v or the mains though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:29:12 pm by SingedFingers »

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2017, 05:08:06 pm »
This could be addictive. Already got a low distortion sine oscillator on the breadboard that works that will fit in one of these cases

Yes, I can see why - I do like the building-block approach, plus your internal construction is pretty neat. I like it!

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
For relatively low power stuff, I like my HP 621xA supplies - 0 to 12, 25, 50 or 100V at 10W, constant voltage or constant current output, both settings with coarse and fine adjustments.  Stackable and convection cooled - no fan, so they're silent.  They turn up fairly regularly on the 'bay, and with patience can be purchased for not too much $$.

-Pat

+1 on these supplies. The silence is a beautiful thing. Chances are you'll have to (or atleast you should) replace all the old caps inside but that's pretty straightfoward and then you can enjoy a really simple and useful supply. I have two.

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
For relatively low power stuff, I like my HP 621xA supplies - 0 to 12, 25, 50 or 100V at 10W, constant voltage or constant current output, both settings with coarse and fine adjustments.  Stackable and convection cooled - no fan, so they're silent.  They turn up fairly regularly on the 'bay, and with patience can be purchased for not too much $$.

[

+1 on these supplies. The silence is a beautiful thing. Chances are you'll have to (or atleast you should) replace all the old caps inside but that's pretty straightfoward and then you can enjoy a really simple and useful supply. I have two.

+1 again!  I love these old, little supplies.  I was hoping that the new, little E36102a (03a, 04a, 05a, 06a)  from Keysight would be a great replacement they're tiny and digital but apparently they have a pretty loud fan and are of course quite expensive for a low power single output DC supply.

http://s7.images.keysight.com/s7viewers/flash/genericzoom.swf?logo2=false&serverUrl=/is/image/&contentRoot=/skins/&locale=en&config=Keysight/KEYSIGHT-IMGSET&image=Keysight/PROD-2584632-IS
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 06:38:23 pm by kwass »
-katie

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
I've been fortunate in that so far I haven't had to go into any of them to do anything.  I do have one I still need to try to put together (idiot sent it basically loose in the box and it got trashed), but so far I haven't been ambitious enough to get out my epoxy and play with a 3D puzzle.  I think I have almost all of the bezel chips in the plastic bag...

:wtf: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: |O |O

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
I recently purchased 2 of those HP 6216A supplies for cheap. One working, one not. Hoping for an easy fix on the non working one. It's nice to have a working one and a schematic to help with trouble shooting.

Does anyone know if there are any significant changes with the newer  "C" versions (other than a different case) ??   I've had no luck finding a schematic online for the "C" versions.

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'

Original manufacturer shop on Taobao
https://shop59318659.taobao.com/category-926718292.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.yygfQ0&search=y&catName=%EE%A3%B5%C7%CA%FD%BF%D8%B5%E7%D4%B4%CF%B5%C1%D0

Note that Rui Deng also has an "original" store on Aliexpress too. And yes, these are not so much power supplies as excellent converters; you really need some other source of power for them.

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
I recently purchased 2 of those HP 6216A supplies for cheap. One working, one not. Hoping for an easy fix on the non working one. It's nice to have a working one and a schematic to help with trouble shooting.

Does anyone know if there are any significant changes with the newer  "C" versions (other than a different case) ??   I've had no luck finding a schematic online for the "C" versions.

As far as I know, no. When I was looking for the 'A' models I currently own, I feel like seeing that the 'C' models were not made in the USA. From the outside it looks like the front panel PCB is different. Also, it looks like the pots were changed from coarse+fine (outer/inner) adjust to just coarse? I  reckon the circuit would be identical but maybe they swapped out some of the obsolete parts like axial electrolytic caps in favor of radial. But this is all just speculation.

Offline ted572

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio Communications Equipment/System Design Engr.
Hello:    I posted the GOPHERT CPS-3205E Power Supply Calibration Procedure, Specifications, and general comments on easily improving the LED Display Contrast for any of the GOPHERT Power Supplies.
If interested please go to -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/new-2016-gopher-cps-3205c-review-teardown/msg1181084/#msg1181084

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf