Author Topic: What crimping tool do you use for quick connect terminals?  (Read 81901 times)

Offline hemdale

• Contributor
Re: What crimping tool do you use for quick connect terminals?
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2016, 04:45:01 pm »

These are the smallest crimps I'll need to use for RC model cars
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:47:08 pm by hemdale »

Offline hemdale

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2016, 04:48:18 pm »

and the crimpers I've used so far...

Offline hemdale

• Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2016, 05:17:11 pm »
Hi again guys,

However, I'm planning to use solid + stranded wires in a near future in the sizes below:

1.5mm², 2.5mm², 4mm², 6mm².
Highly unlikely that I would be using any larger wires.

I'm interested in the following connectors (see below):

obvisouly these too, but still undecided between the square or the trapezoid.

I'm rather a "buy good, buy once" guy. Since I don't want to end up with 5 different crimping tools (because I found out that 4 of them were crap), I'm leaning towards:

Knipex MultiCrimp 973302 : http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=art_detail&parentID=1299&groupID=1320&artID=20541

For Ferrules:

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=art_detail&parentID=1299&groupID=1307&artID=3962

or

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=art_detail&parentID=1299&groupID=1308&artID=3954

Is it worth taking the connectors from Weidmuller ?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2016, 05:33:50 pm »
What's your budget?

I find a pair of ratcheting, interchangeable die crimpers to be the most cost effective for prototyping/bench work, as well as field work. They may/may not fit your budget though, as they're not exactly cheap for a decent brand. Cost wise, figure ~$100 - $120 to start, and it goes up from there. Do note that since this type typically doesn't have locators, they require a little bit more skill (proper terminal placement in the dies).

There are of course dedicated models as well, and these can be even easier to use (i.e. comes with a locator). But you're latest post indicating a desire to do insulated terminals & ferrules as well, makes me more inclined to recommend an interchangeable model (i.e. Pressmaster, Wezag, Knipex, or Weidmuller for brands).

For disclosure, I've a mix; Pressmaster MCT for interchangeable dies, but also Wezag and Daniels Manufacturing for dedicated crimpers (all ratcheting types).

Offline hemdale

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2016, 05:51:45 pm »
What's your budget?

I find a pair of ratcheting, interchangeable die crimpers to be the most cost effective for prototyping/bench work, as well as field work. They may/may not fit your budget though, as they're not exactly cheap for a decent brand. Cost wise, figure ~$100 - $120 to start, and it goes up from there. Do note that since this type typically doesn't have locators, they require a little bit more skill (proper terminal placement in the dies).

There are of course dedicated models as well, and these can be even easier to use (i.e. comes with a locator). But you're latest post indicating a desire to do insulated terminals & ferrules as well, makes me more inclined to recommend an interchangeable model (i.e. Pressmaster, Wezag, Knipex, or Weidmuller for brands).

For disclosure, I've a mix; Pressmaster MCT for interchangeable dies, but also Wezag and Daniels Manufacturing for dedicated crimpers (all ratcheting types).

Hi mate,

Honestly, I'd like to keep it within 150 / 200€ range, and knowing I won't have to buy anything else and having the satisfaction to pass the plier over to my kids (if I have any one day)   ;)

Ratcheting plier is a good idea and interchangeable dies makes a lot of sense. Actually, I'd rather have a plier with 4 or 6 separate dies, rather than 4 or 6 pliers.

Wezag CS30 / CK 100 look interesting.

I'll see if Weidmuller make any interchangeable plier. Thanks again for your help.

:-+
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:58:10 pm by hemdale »

Offline EagleTG

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2016, 06:06:06 pm »
I've always just used the nearly generic crimping tools like what Hemdale posted above and Smokey posted at the beginning of the thread (obviously depending on what size crimp connector I'm using).  As long as I'm careful, they seem to work properly.

I am taking notes on the other suggestions in this thread as there are some good recommendations.  I like the idea of the ratcheting crimper with interchangeable elements.

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2016, 06:07:10 pm »
if you want a high quality connection, I would not go for the "automotiv" connectors (see pic) but the much better PIDG (see pic.)
or use "blank" connectors and heatshrink later.

about the ferrules, you should look how you want to connect your cimped wires.
For a square cage I use square, but not for a round cage.

about Weidmüller, I have to say the crimp tools are great (but more expensive than Knipex),
about their ferrules , I do not think they are better than other quality brands  (my guess is, they do not even make ferrules and only sell under their brand name)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:13:07 pm by quarks »

Offline hemdale

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2016, 06:19:38 pm »
Thanks a million Quarks,

The PIDG connectors are vibration resistant I'm thinking ?

I think the MultiCrimp would do for me :

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/35022.pdf

I'm under the impression that you own both Knipex Multi Crimp and the Pressmaster  MCT ?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:21:35 pm by hemdale »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2016, 06:24:46 pm »
Hi mate,

Honestly, I'd like to keep it within 150 / 200€ range, and knowing I won't have to buy anything else and having the satisfaction to pass the plier over to my kids (if I have any one day)   ;)

Ratcheting plier is a good idea and interchangeable dies makes a lot of sense. Actually, I'd rather have a plier with 4 or 6 separate dies, rather than 4 or 6 pliers.

Wezag CS30 / CK 100 look interesting.

I'll see if Weidmuller make any interchangeable plier. Thanks again for your help.

:-+
You're welcome.  :)

If you can find the Wezag within your budget, I'd recommend getting it (add dies as needed).  :-+ If not, then look for a Pressmaster MCT (Multi Crimp Tool). If you can't locate one with a Pressmaster label on it, try Wiha or Xcelite, as both rebrand it (and add a healthy markup in the process).

Unfortunately, Weidmuller doesn't offer an interchangeable die model.

No idea how the Knipex would compare to Wezag, but it would have a lot to live up to IMHO. It does look nice though.

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2016, 06:49:08 pm »
I do have many crimping tools from different brands (AMP, Weidmüller, Knipex, ...), but unfortunately no Pressmaster MCT. So I cannot say anything about it, but I have a BNC crimp tool from the same swedish company and the build quality is in the same league as the other top brands.

About the MultiCrimp, look for the newest version where they changed the die 13 (pic. on the right is the new one)

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2016, 09:46:38 pm »
@ SL4P: would you know any site or blog on which I could educate myself regarding crimps and various crimping techniques requirements ?
Thanks
Unfortunately not...
I was lucky to spend a working life in broadcast facilities which use a range of high quality (and some not so high!) in and between equipment.
If you start with well known branded manufacturers with a family of matching tools, you'll have a chance.
But fakes are always a problem with poor quality materials et.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2016, 11:01:49 pm »
The following resources regarding crimping may be of use.  ;)
https://youtu.be/kjSGCSwNuAg

BTW, I'm the one with a Pressmaster MCT, Wezag (Panduit CT-1550), and a couple from Daniels Manufacturing (AMP & Ilsco) for personal use.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:06:15 pm by nanofrog »

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2016, 10:34:54 am »
here is an other source I find very usefull and worth to have a look at:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/wire_termination

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline hemdale

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2016, 03:32:57 pm »
Hi guys,

Just watched this video (Knipex owns Rennsteig now)

In think the die designed to crimp the end ferrule is trapezoidal. Could you confirm ? I'd rather stick to a ferrule being crimped in a square shape since it retains a better electrical conductivity, unless "square crimps vs square crimps conductivity" would be a sort of "Audi vs BMW" battle ?  :palm:

I've been reading this lately:

http://www.weidmueller.com/int/products/tools/news/crimping/crimping---a-permanent-connection

http://www.assemblymag.com/articles/92666-ferrules-prevent-connection-failures

Thanks again for your help and input.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:37:02 pm by hemdale »

Offline ryanscott6

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2016, 05:13:45 pm »
I use a GB GS-388 but am always looking for better options.  My favorite crimp tool of any type is the Powerwerx Tricrimp.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2016, 05:20:09 pm »
(Knipex owns Rennsteig now)
Thanks for the update.  :) Now we know who's been making them for Knipex.  8)

I'd rather stick to a ferrule being crimped in a square shape since it retains a better electrical conductivity, unless "square crimps vs square crimps conductivity" would be a sort of "Audi vs BMW" battle ?  :palm:
As long as the ferrules are DIN 46228 compliant, it won't matter (just need to be rated for the wire size/current capacity they'll be used for). Sticking with name brand terminals should cover you in this regard.  ;)

If you're still hung up on square, please note you'll need a separate tool for that, as square is pressed from all 4 sides, not just top & bottom.

Offline hemdale

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2016, 05:34:27 pm »
If you're still hung up on square, please note you'll need a separate tool for that, as square is pressed from all 4 sides, not just top & bottom.

Hi Nano,

I had a good think, and to be honest with you, I'd be happy to avoid having to purchase ONE more specific crimper to make those square crimps.
I'm guessing that trapezoidal crimps aren't THAT bad, right ?  :-BROKE

In terms of terminals, are there any good / reliable manufacturers ?

Offline _Andrew_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2016, 06:06:10 pm »

For the insulated 1.5, 2.5 and 6.0 spade / built / ring terminals ect I have been using RS part number 499-2315. My ones are years old but still achieve a reliable crimp and at £38.25 +vat very reasonably priced.

For bootlace ferrules I use Knipex 97 53 04 which leave a square finish. For me the square finish on a whole better suets the cage style terminal blocks that the majority of the time I am terminating into. Again these are very reliable crimp tool.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2016, 06:18:11 pm »
Definitely buy knipex. It's expensive compared to Alibaba, but it will last for decades. Even in the hands of rough mechanics.

However, for ferrules I've recently worked with an Weidmuller Stripax Plus 2.5, which saves you an enormous amount of time when doing paneling.

The obvious drawback is that it will only do a single size when set up. For all other sizes you have one of those Knipex self-adjusting pliers ready. (the hexagon type)

Offline vinicius.jlantunes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2016, 06:21:29 pm »
I am also in the market for a crimping tool, but options in Brazil are scarce and most times expensive. I found some that would fit the bill I think, but would be happy to hear some advice. Here is what I'm looking at (sorry, it's in portuguese but I think you can grasp it)

http://www.fg.com.br/comparar?_requestid=918620#

I am inclined to this one, but it doesn't come with a die for dupont type terminals which I would also use a lot.
http://www.fg.com.br/produto/alicate-para-terminais-05-6mm-com-isolamento/1027284

If I remember correctly Burndy is a pretty reputable brand isn't it?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2016, 12:06:16 am »
I had a good think, and to be honest with you, I'd be happy to avoid having to purchase ONE more specific crimper to make those square crimps.
Understandable, particularly given the cost for a decent crimp tool.  ;)

I'm guessing that trapezoidal crimps aren't THAT bad, right ?  :-BROKE
Assuming they meet the DIN spec previously mentioned, nothing wrong with them at all.  :-+

In terms of terminals, are there any good / reliable manufacturers ?
Certainly.  ;D

Without a specific type of terminal however, the best I can offer ATM is a general list (not complete, nor read too much into the order they're listed):
  • Thomas&Betts
  • Panduit
  • TE Connectivity/AMP
  • Molex
  • 3M
  • JST (Japan Solderless Terminals)
  • Multicomp (owned by Farnell)

Specifically for bootlace/ferrules, TE Connectivity/AMP, Weidmuller, JST, Multicomp, and Schneider Electric are showing up on Farnell's UK site.

If I remember correctly Burndy is a pretty reputable brand isn't it?
Assuming they're still made in Sweden, they're a rebranded Pressmaster, which is an excellent quality tool.

If I'm reading the currency correctly however (R$ = BRL ? <Brazilian Real>), then there's no way a genuine Pressmaster will sell for that (works out to ~43USD according to Xe.com, so it would have to be a Chinese clone for that price).

FWIW, genuine Burndy isn't cheap. For example, the battery powered PAT46-18V is just shy of 6kUSD for example.  :o). It's on the extreme side for a hand tool, but the ratcheting hand operated versions are still starting at ~168USD, and go north of 300USD quickly.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2016, 12:26:40 am »
I have a small collection of crimping tools, mostly ratchet type and mainly for coax and Utilux or blade connectors but none with inter changeable dies, anyway I received an email the other day from Rhino Tools who seem to have a pretty good assortment available, others will know if they are any good, might be worth a look.

Rhino Tools (I have no affiliation)

https://rhinotools.com.au/product/electrician-quick-change-crimping-kit/

Offline nazcalines

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2016, 12:48:18 am »
For small connectors I use a Panavise mini press with adapters to take the dies used in the ratcheting crimp tools. The adapters I milled out of 6061 aluminum. Works very well, but I haven't tried it with the beefier connectors yet.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2016, 07:20:36 am »
So was there a definate answer about trapezoid vs square. I been looking at Hex ones too, but cannot figure out why so many choices.

Mind you the only time i use crimpers is on the car, and my mates use ebay knock offs. PIDG is different how?

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2016, 08:12:16 am »
It's also very important to match the crimp to the cable size.

Sounds obvious but I couldn't see any mention of it.

I just put those little bootlace ferrules on with bull nose pliers.
Three gentle squeezes along the ferrule with the cutting edge.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf