Author Topic: What do you use for solder wire?  (Read 29586 times)

Offline MaximRecoilTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
What do you use for solder wire?
« on: January 11, 2014, 07:54:27 am »
When I worked at a PCB factory, we used Alpha Metals SMT Core Plus (63/37) with a flux percentage of "P1" (nominally 1.1%). Most of my soldering was done on through-hole terminal blocks, and I used .025" diameter for that. For SMT rework I used the same stuff, but in .015" diameter.

I consider this solder to be perfect. It wets and flows beautifully, even on surfaces that aren't perfectly clean. Also, since the spool of it that I have (which I got from work in 1999) is now ~15 years old, and still performs as well as it always has, I can report that its flux has no apparent limit on its shelf-life.

Unfortunately, the 1 lb. spool of it that I got from work is .015", which is less useful to me than .025" (my boss wouldn't give me a spool of .025", because it was in much higher demand at work, thus more likely to be missed). I've looked for some from time to time online, but it is hard to find the exact combination I'm looking for (.025", P1 flux%, SMT Core Plus). This is complicated by the fact that I don't think Alpha Metals calls it "SMT Core Plus" anymore; they have "SMT Plus" ... does anyone know if that's the same thing? This site suggests that it is the same thing, as it is referred to as "SMT Core Plus" in the description, despite only saying "SMT Plus" on the actual label. On the other hand, my label says "SMT Core Plus":

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:58:20 am by MaximRecoil »

Offline johansen

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What do you use for solder wire?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 09:03:44 am »
I stumbled across
Alpha Reliacore 15

62 tin
36 lead
2% silver.

I found 2 pounds of it on ebay last year for less than the price of the silver in it (at the time)
The flux in it isn't super strong but the silver keeps the solder shiny.. and that's worth it lol...

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:19:31 pm »
I'm using Multicore 63/37 0.56mm (i suppose it's 0.022") with probably 2% or 2.2% no clean flux.

http://www.newark.com/multicore-solder/mm00975/solder-wire-63-37-sn-pb-1lb/dp/32M7025

Ignore the picture, it's not the right one.

Excellent for my needs, works fine.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 04:39:49 pm »
My trusty "Adepto" rosin cored reel of solder 60/40 tin/lead 500g from Maplin has been my faithful servant for over 20 years! 0.7mm dia.

I recently purchased 250g of 99.3/0.7 tin/copper multicomp solder from farnell, 0.5mm dia. I prefer my leaded solder.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 04:56:51 pm »
huge fan of good old kester 44 63/37.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 05:32:59 pm »

That's one of the most popular, but I've never used it. What is the flux percentage, and do you clean the flux residue after soldering with it? Have you ever used no-clean Kester 245? If so, how does it compare?

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 05:38:34 pm »

That's one of the most popular, but I've never used it. What is the flux percentage, and do you clean the flux residue after soldering with it? Have you ever used no-clean Kester 245? If so, how does it compare?
flux percentage based on core size.
usually don't clean residue, since I'm lazy. unless it's something I intend to use often or want to beautify.
bought 2 spools of 245, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 05:56:06 pm »
flux percentage based on core size.

Why? Since it is a percentage, the overall quantity of flux is automatically relative to the wire diameter anyway, that is, for example, 2.2% = greater quantity of flux with .032" diameter solder wire than with .020". I like to have the same flux percentage regardless of wire diameter so that the soldering characteristics remain the same.

usually don't clean residue, since I'm lazy. unless it's something I intend to use often or want to beautify.
bought 2 spools of 245, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I've been thinking of trying Kester 245, simply because it is a no-clean solder wire that seems to have a good reputation, and may be easier to find than Alpha SMT Core Plus. I wonder if you can buy it in small quantities to test out. A whole pound would last me for decades.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 05:58:55 pm by MaximRecoil »

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 06:12:19 pm »
the thing is, with kester, depending on the exact series of solder, you can have a choice of core sizes.
50 = 1.1% ; 58 = 2.2% ; 66 = 3.3%

and, for some diameters, you have a choice of multiple core sizes.
like 1mm kester 245 comes in all 3 core sizes. was quite confusing when I ordered it, I just picked haphazardly.

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 06:57:51 pm »
Stannol HS10. The best for me!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 07:29:49 pm »
Kester 44 (63/37, 66 core) is my preferred choice for rosin, and Kester 245 (63/37, 58 core) for no-clean.

Easy to find in the US, and usually at a decent price if you hunt around a bit (i.e. all-spec has good prices currently if anyone needs a spool).

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 07:34:16 pm »
Kester 44 (63/37, 66 core) is my preferred choice for rosin, and Kester 245 (63/37, 58 core) for no-clean.

Easy to find in the US, and usually at a decent price if you hunt around a bit (i.e. all-spec has good prices currently if anyone needs a spool).

actually, if you get lucky, you can find old well kept kester 44 on ebay for pretty cheap, if you're in the US it's way easier (shipping).
from what I can tell, age doesn't noticeably degrade it's performance.

Offline ddrl46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 09:34:20 pm »
I use Stannol 0.5mm HS10 (Sn60Pb39Cu1), it's absolutely great stuff.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 03:16:32 am »
I use some MG Chemicals 4894. Rosin Activated, 60/40, 0.025". Pretty good for the price
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 04:23:29 am »

actually, if you get lucky, you can find old well kept kester 44 on ebay for pretty cheap, if you're in the US it's way easier (shipping).
from what I can tell, age doesn't noticeably degrade it's performance.
Possible.

Most of the time I've checked though, the expired/nearly so spools sold on eBay are close to what you can get a new spool for. And you know what you have with a new spool (no potential storage issues). As per flux degradation, it's been so long ago I used it new (bought in '90), that I can't recall any significant difference between then and now (works just fine today FWIW). I just don't go through it that fast.

I use some MG Chemicals 4894. Rosin Activated, 60/40, 0.025". Pretty good for the price
MG Chemicals makes good stuff. As does Kester, Alpha Metals, AIM (American Iron & Metals), Indium, and Multicore (Henkel) for example.

Kester and AIM are easy to find IMHO in the US, and at decent prices. Indium and Alpha seem to be a bit harder to find, and in the case of Indium at least, more expensive last I checked. Multicore can be had, but seems to have even fewer distributors, possibly only one (digikey carries it, not sure of anyone else).

Offline wilheldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 04:27:24 am »
Multicore can be had, but seems to have even fewer distributors, possibly only one (digikey carries it, not sure of anyone else).

MCM carries Multicore.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 04:48:39 am »
MCM carries Multicore.
Good to know. Thanks.  :)

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 12:08:49 pm »
I'm currently using a 500g roll of MECHANIC 0.8mm 63/37 rosin core, it's ok, the rosin is very strong, I haven't used rosin core for a while so that probably is why it seems strong. Price; $ 30ea, free shipping
Before that, i was using a 500g roll of WiT 0.8mm 63/37 no clean, it was much better, flux not as strong and didn't need cleaning, less fumes too. Price: $34ea, free shipping
Before that, 500g roll Multicore C400 0.8mm 63/37 no clean, it was a little bit better than the wit, the flux didn't boil off as quick. Price: $45ea, $15 shipping.

500g rolls last a while so i don't buy very often, i do buy two rolls at a time though, It's good to have one in the portable kit as well.

As far as paste goes, i'm using Chipquik 63/37 no clean, T5 size, 250g jar. It's good, but pricey, also has a pretty high flux/suspension content because the small ball size.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 05:14:57 pm »
Kester 44 (63/37, 66 core) is my preferred choice for rosin

That's pretty much all I use now.  I clean the flux on my products, strictly for looks.  I've used Alpha too.  Kester is so widely available and easy to find just about everywhere that I decided to standardize on it, and that's that.  I also use Kestor's flux pens.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 07:48:09 pm »
Kester is so widely available and easy to find just about everywhere that I decided to standardize on it, and that's that.

I would do the same thing if I soldered a lot at home. One pound of e.g. .032" solder wire = about 50,000 solder joints according to one article I read, and that is way more than I'll ever solder at home even if I live to be 120 years old. At work I soldered about 4,000 joints per night, so a pound of solder wire lasted a couple/few weeks, but at home most of my soldering is done to keep my classic video arcade machines running, along with fixing the occasional random electronic device for myself or people I know. So that's why I'm waiting to find a good deal on the exact combination I'm looking for (Alpha Metals SMT Core Plus, 63/37, 1.1% flux, .025"), because it is what I know and like, and one pound is a lifetime supply for me (barring any unforeseen changes in circumstances).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:38:53 am by MaximRecoil »

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 07:09:07 am »
I have a roll of Alpametals .025, 63/37 wire stamped AM-11652.  It's Rosin Core.  I don't know the percentage of flux, though.  I don't intend to ever use it.  It's not quite a full pound as I've used just a little bit....it's pretty close to new, though.  Why don't you contact them and see if it's what you're looking for.  If it is, shoot me a PM.   You can have it for $10, shipped to your door...basically my packing and shipping cost....and if you hurry I'll get it in the mail tomorrow and you'll have it Weds.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 07:04:28 pm »
I have a roll of Alpametals .025, 63/37 wire stamped AM-11652.  It's Rosin Core.  I don't know the percentage of flux, though.  I don't intend to ever use it.  It's not quite a full pound as I've used just a little bit....it's pretty close to new, though.  Why don't you contact them and see if it's what you're looking for.  If it is, shoot me a PM.   You can have it for $10, shipped to your door...basically my packing and shipping cost....and if you hurry I'll get it in the mail tomorrow and you'll have it Weds.

Thanks for the offer, but if it says "Rosin Core" on it, it isn't what I'm looking for. I believe that what you have is like this, except yours is 1 lb. instead of 1/2 lb. and 63/37 instead of 60/40.

The stuff I'm looking for is no-clean, called "SMT Core Plus" (it seems to be just called "SMT Plus" these days). Alpha makes quite a few lines of no-clean flux core solder (e.g., SMT, SMT Plus, Telecore, Telecore Plus, Cleanline 7000, Fluitin, Synalow); I don't know what the differences are among all of them, and their site isn't very helpful in determining that.

My situation is that I have tons of experience with SMT Core Plus due to soldering thousands of joints per night with it for ~2 years at work, and little-to-no experience with anything else, so even if I had a bunch of samples of other types of solder wire, they could never be as "tried-and-true" from my perspective as SMT Core Plus, because I don't solder nearly enough at home to really test them out. That's why I want to specifically stick with SMT Core Plus.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 09:32:05 pm »
This? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-SMT-Plus-143367-032-P1-63SN-37Pb-No-Clean-Solder-Wire-1-lb-/181287481218

Yeah, I saw that auction earlier, and it is almost exactly the ticket, except for the diameter (.032" instead of .025"). I would have bought it already if it was .025", since that is a decent price considering the free shipping. If all else fails I can buy it new/retail from here (4th one down on the list, item number 110302-1998) for $31.59, but then I'd have to pay shipping on top of that (it is one of those sites that doesn't tell you the shipping cost right up front, so I don't know how much).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:34:27 pm by MaximRecoil »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 05:59:25 pm »
My main solder is an  Alphametals Reliacore  .020 63/37 2% flux.  I also have some Phillips ECG .047 60/40 2% and some Radio Shack silver bearing .022 62/36/2 for repairing costume jewelry for the women of the house.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 10:07:27 pm »
I use edsyn Sn62Pb36Ag2 0.34mm with flux core it is very good and wets very well it costs £24 for 100g it is not very good for big solder joints so I use a larger gauge solder for that. It is a very good solder and I would recommend it.
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 10:46:05 pm »
I use edsyn Sn62Pb36Ag2 0.34mm with flux core it is very good and wets very well it costs £24 for 100g it is not very good for big solder joints so I use a larger gauge solder for that. It is a very good solder and I would recommend it.

0.34mm is even smaller than the .015" stuff I have, and .015" is already .01" smaller than I prefer for general purpose PCB soldering. For most of the soldering I do I have to tightly twist strands of it together, sometimes 2 strands, sometimes 3 strands, and 4 strands is the most I've ever needed (for e.g., replacing through-hole flyback transformers).

1 strand = .015"
2 strands = .021"
3 strands = .026"
4 strands = .03"

It works but it is an annoying thing to have to do, which is why I want some .025".
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:56:35 pm by MaximRecoil »

Offline Robgo

• !
    • http://www.hotairreworkstation.com
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 06:43:57 am »
Kester solder rosin activated

Offline Chopsticks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 08:47:36 am »
I'm a big fan of multicore myself, it melts well and bonds nicely.
they have a good range, worth exploring

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 11:15:35 am »
I use Ersin multicore 60/40 that I got in the early 1980's. I do have new solder as well but it is not as good as this old stuff, when it finally runs out it will be a sad day.I was given a 15Kg reel of the solder and have about 3 Kg left now.
As an aside why wont the smiley's work with chrome in linux mint.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:17:40 am by G7PSK »

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 02:38:11 pm »
I normally use Multicore 505, which I find ideal for almost every purpose.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 05:23:30 pm »
I use a random 1mm Sn63/Pb37 rosin core solder. I solder everything with it, from big bulky connectors to 0,5mm pitch chips with it.
I have a couple of smaller diameter solder wires, but I rarely use them.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline M4trix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 08:01:33 pm »
I'm using Fluitin, 0,5mm and 1mm diameter solder wire. Around $50-60 bucks 1 kilogram. Great results.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 09:10:41 pm »
I am using this Multicore based on Dave's recommendation in one of the videos. Works well for me.

http://www.newark.com/multicore-solder/3096525-m/solder-wire-180-c/dp/15J5459?CMP=TREML008-003

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2016, 12:59:55 am »
Finally! I just won this auction. I offered $30 and he accepted. Not bad for 4 lbs. of solder (which will last me until I'm about 1,000 years old). Of the 4 spools, one of them is exactly what I'm looking for. Here's a picture comparing the solder I got from work in the late 1990s (on the left) to one of the spools in that auction:

Granted, it is .020" instead of the .025" that I used for most things at work, but .020" is actually a better size than .025 for what I typically do at home, which is soldering through-hole DIP chips (such as 74LS-series TTL chips). At work, I mostly soldered through-hole terminal blocks (like these), which have significantly larger legs and use larger through-holes than TTL chips.

As for the other 3 spools, they are labeled as "Cleanline 7000". I don't know if those are the same thing with a newer name or not. It doesn't really matter though. Unless I start a production line at home, the one pound of the stuff that I know is what I want will last me a lifetime. 

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2016, 04:03:09 am »
As for the other 3 spools, they are labeled as "Cleanline 7000".
Cleanline 7000 is from Alpha Metals, and it's really good stuff (flux type = modified rosin based no-clean).  :-+

In fact, there's a good chance it's better than the stuff you've pictured (brand?  :-//).  :o  :box:

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2016, 04:48:47 am »
As for the other 3 spools, they are labeled as "Cleanline 7000".
Cleanline 7000 is from Alpha Metals, and it's really good stuff (flux type = modified rosin based no-clean).  :-+

In fact, there's a good chance it's better than the stuff you've pictured (brand?  :-//).  :o  :box:

All 4 spools in the auction I won are from Alpha Metals, as is the spool of solder I've had for the past 17 years. See the picture in my original post from a few years ago; it shows both labels on the spool that I got from work in 1999. It is called "Cleanline" (no "7000" printed anywhere) and "SMT Core Plus". It is the only type of electronics solder I've ever used. Before I went to work at that PCB factory in 1997, I'd never soldered before, and since then I've used the spool of SMT Core Plus that I got at work for everything.

In the auction I won, one of the spools is labeled exactly like my old spool that I got from work, while the other three are labeled "Cleanline 7000", but are otherwise the same (same brand, diameter, alloy, and flux percentage). I don't know if "Cleanline 7000" is just a newer name for "Cleanline" or not.

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2016, 05:08:18 am »
MG Chemicals 4884
63/37 Sn/Pb
0.025" (0.6mm)
RA 2.2%

I had a cheap Chinese brand (mechanic?) prior to this spool, and it just wasn't worth it to save the $5. This stuff works well.  Also keep an MG Chemicals flux pen at hand, very handy for fluxing your solderwick.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2016, 05:24:57 am »
rosin core solder 3.2mm , 1mm ,0.7mm and 0.6mm

my recycled  solder is not shown here. 
it goes in to the solder pot or solder pool, a 150w vertically mounted soldering iron, with a steel pipe cap, threaded a-top the end of a steel rod,
set down the throat of the 150w iron -on a stand.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 05:31:30 am by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2016, 06:35:13 am »
Kester 275 flux core wire

Sn96.5Ag03Cu.5 0.5mm 2.2% (picture from ebay, mine was made in USA, November 2014)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 06:38:22 am by gamalot »

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2016, 07:29:11 am »
Kester 275 flux core wire

Sn96.5Ag03Cu.5 0.5mm 2.2% (picture from ebay, mine was made in USA, November 2014)

finally, somebody other than me who uses lead-free solder!  :-+
.7mm stannol ecoloy-TC with krystall505 flux
and
0.5mm stannol ecoloy-TSC with HS10 flux.  :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2016, 08:17:40 am »
I've never heard of anyone using lead-free solder for electronics unless they were required to. I only use it for household plumbing.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2016, 09:25:58 am »
the modern stuff works better than leaded with the correct choice of flux-core & iron temperature.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2016, 12:51:02 pm »
the modern stuff works better than leaded with the correct choice of flux-core & iron temperature.

I don't think you'll find many credible sources which agree with that claim. "Mission critical" electronics tend to be exempt from RoHS and similar regulations, such as military, aerospace, and medical equipment, because it is inferior in nearly all respects to the ages-old industry-standard eutectic tin/lead alloy (63/37). The PCB factory I used to work at started using lead-free solder for some things about 10 years ago (which was after I left, but according to a friend who still works there, the employees hate the stuff), presumably for tax incentive purposes. But the line I used to work on makes PCBs for elaborate, commercial-grade fire alarm systems, and they still use normal 63/37 solder, because fire alarms are considered "life-saving equipment".

On top of the joints being inferior in most respects (and subject to developing "tin whiskers"), the increased heat that SAC solder calls for is harder on components and pads as well.

Lead-free electronics solder is only "modern" due to modern politics/bureaucracy. It isn't a technical advancement, it is a step backwards. Tin/lead solder is what replaced pure tin or nearly pure tin solder ages ago, mainly in order to solve the "tin whiskers" problem.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 01:03:51 pm by MaximRecoil »

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2016, 02:55:24 pm »
Sn63 also has the advantage of being cheaper to make, having a lower melting point, and using less of the conflict mineral tin.

I have here an old roll of Kester 232-cored solder. Does anyone know what type of flux is 232? Kester's web site is not forthcoming with any info.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2016, 04:37:03 pm »
for legal reasons, kester should have a datasheet for any flux or product containing flux giving full content & safety data.
usually called the MSDS.

this exists incase you have a truck full of it cach fire or turn over into a river etc.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2016, 04:43:42 pm »
here it is - rosin based flux.

The following users thanked this post: helius

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2016, 08:32:26 pm »

It is the same for me except some of mine is 63/37 and some is 60/40 which does not seem to make any difference but I prefer the eutectic 63/37.  I only use the Kester 245 no clean solder on new boards and parts.  The Kester 44 is for rework and general use.  I have a test spool of Kester organic water clean flux and hate it.

I would not be so picky about brand.  For general purpose work I would look for 3.3% RA (rosin activated) flux and for new assembly work I would look for the less aggressive 1.1% to 2.2% rosin no-clean flux.

Offline grifftech

• Frequent Contributor
    • youtube channel

Offline bitshape

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2016, 06:03:30 pm »
As for someone living in the EU (Netherlands) i'm not using Stannol anymore, because I bought a few years ago from stores through Ebay some factoryfresh spools of Kester 44 RA 63/37 3,3% core66 in the sizes of 0,80mm (ThruHole) and 0,50mm/0,40mm (SMD). Much, much better solder than Stannol HS10/HF32 I used before.  ;)

If I must buy again, I will get the same Kester 44 or Kester 285 (RMA) even if it's more expensive than the local Stannol stuff. It's such a joy to work with....  :-+

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2016, 10:18:37 pm »
As for someone living in the EU (Netherlands) i'm not using Stannol anymore, because I bought a few years ago from stores through Ebay some factoryfresh spools of Kester 44 RA 63/37 3,3% core66 in the sizes of 0,80mm (ThruHole) and 0,50mm/0,40mm (SMD). Much, much better solder than Stannol HS10/HF32 I used before.  ;)

If I must buy again, I will get the same Kester 44 or Kester 285 (RMA) even if it's more expensive than the local Stannol stuff. It's such a joy to work with....  :-+
The Kester products you mention are wonderful to work with IME, as are Alpha Metals' products (very competitive on price here in the US), as are Indium and MG Chemicals' products.  :-+ My favorite is definitely Kester though (flux products as well; 1544 & 186-18 RA & RMA respectively, and 951 no-clean). Best yet, it's readily available here and it's well priced as well.  :-+  >:D In the case of flux however, MG Chemicals 835 (RA) is sold in hobbyist friendly sizes (100ml & 1L vs. Kester only comes in 1gal or larger or expensive disposable pens  :palm:). There are eBay sellers who break down bottles of Kester however, and I've found a seller that I'm satisfied with (product seems genuine IME).  :phew:

Sadly, that's not the case in the EU as I understand it (63/37 seems a LOT harder to find in the EU, let alone at a reasonable price based on what I've seen). Based on what I've seen, 60/40 is FAR more available in the EU/UK market. At least MG Chemicals' 835 is available there as well.  :-+

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2016, 11:00:52 pm »
63/37 isnt hard to find, but it is expensive (lead is expensive) and not legal for many uses either.
so the company's dont sell much.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2016, 11:56:31 pm »
63/37 isnt hard to find, but it is expensive (lead is expensive) and not legal for many uses either.

Lead is one-tenth the price of tin by weight. It is also not extracted through tribute to warlords (one of the sources of Cassiterite is in Somalia).
Much of the world's lead is recycled from old car or truck batteries, making it a renewable material.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2016, 12:47:37 am »
Sadly, that's not the case in the EU as I understand it (63/37 seems a LOT harder to find in the EU, let alone at a reasonable price based on what I've seen). Based on what I've seen, 60/40 is FAR more available in the EU/UK market. At least MG Chemicals' 835 is available there as well.

I do not know of any applications where the difference between Sn60Pb40 (183C/190C) and eutectic Sn63Pb37 (183C) is significant.  If I wanted a more universal and stronger tin/lead solder, I would use Sn62Pb36Ag2 (179C).

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2016, 03:55:37 pm »
I've not spotted it from many EU manufacturers (namely Stannol). IIRC, I did find 2 companies in Poland that make 63/37 in small spools (and I've lost the links  :palm:). 

What I primarily see however is Farnell importing Kester from the US. And yeah that 20USD shipping fee tacked on stings  :-- (the same fee is applied here for items that come out of their UK & EU facilities).

I do not know of any applications where the difference between Sn60Pb40 (183C/190C) and eutectic Sn63Pb37 (183C) is significant.  If I wanted a more universal and stronger tin/lead solder, I would use Sn62Pb36Ag2 (179C).
FWIW the history that's been recounted to me is 60/40 was simply cheaper.

As per 62/36/2, I used to do that actually.  ;D But with the cost of silver lately, I changed my mind on that one.  :( I do have some I got cheap from a RadioShack that closed; otherwise ~$60 per spool last I checked.  :o

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2016, 04:26:40 pm »
I've not spotted it from many EU manufacturers (namely Stannol). IIRC, I did find 2 companies in Poland that make 63/37 in small spools (and I've lost the links  :palm:). 

Stannol sells 63/37 only as solid wire (no flux) and solder bars. But they got Sn60/Pb40 and Sn60/Pb39/Cu1 solder wire with flux. I'm using Sn60/Pb38/Cu2 (Felder) mostly.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2016, 05:45:53 pm »

Offline CraigHB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2016, 06:45:21 pm »
I've been using Kester 63/37 with the 285 RMA core for quite a long time now.  I actually like it better than the 44 core, seems to work better for me.  I use the Kester 186 liquid flux in a pen and out of the bottle.  The 186 is also an RMA flux, but for whatever reason the stuff they put in the solder is called 285 where the stuff that comes in a bottle is 186.  Vendors most commonly stock 2.2% or 3.3% core sizes, but Kester does offer a 1.1%, might be hard to find though.  The Kester stuff is the best I've used, but being in the EU it might not be the best in terms of price and availability.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2016, 07:51:46 pm »
Farnell has some good solder in stock..

1+ £35.82 MULTICORE / LOCTITE  DLMP24 250G REEL  Solder Wire, LMP, 0.56mm Diameter, 179°C, 250g 3% flux : http://uk.farnell.com/multicore-loctite/dlmp24-250g-reel/solder-wire-lmp-0-56mm-250g/dp/419552
 1+ £40.10 MULTICORE / LOCTITE  DLMP26 250G REEL  Solder Wire, 62/36/2, 0.46mm Diameter, 179°C, 250g  3% flux : http://uk.farnell.com/multicore-loctite/dlmp26-250g-reel/solder-wire-62-36-2-179-c-250g/dp/419564
 1+ £48.88 KESTER SOLDER  24-6337-8806  Solder Wire, 63/37, 0.4mm Diameter, 183°C, 490g  1.1% or 2% Kester 245 no-clean flux http://uk.farnell.com/kester-solder/24-6337-8806/solder-63-37-0-4mm/dp/1610447

Rs Online also stocks multicore with 60/40 and 62/36/2

24 euro , multicore 60/40 0.5mm 2.2% no clean flux , 250g http://ro.rsdelivers.com/product/multicore/288498/multicore-05mm-wire-solder-183-%e2%86%92-188%c2%b0c-melting-point-40-lead-60-tin-250g/4364831

34 euro Multicore 60/40  0.5mm 3% rosin flux , 250g http://ro.rsdelivers.com/product/multicore/442570/multicore-05mm-wire-solder-183-%e2%86%92-188%c2%b0c-melting-point-40-lead-60-tin-250g/4364881

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2016, 03:37:37 pm »
My solder came in the mail the day before yesterday (very fast shipping):

All brand new, still wrapped in plastic, and the total price with shipping was $45. $11.25 per pound for that stuff is a hell of a deal, considering it usually retails for about $35 a pound, and I'll never have to buy solder again.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2016, 05:03:32 pm »
All brand new, still wrapped in plastic, and the total price with shipping was $45. $11.25 per pound for that stuff is a hell of a deal, considering it usually retails for about $35 a pound, and I'll never have to buy solder again.
Now that's a steal deal.  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf