Author Topic: What is it and should i keep it?  (Read 1966 times)

Offline TohKahTopic starter

What is it and should i keep it?
« on: September 01, 2016, 03:33:48 pm »
Alright, cleaning out storage rooms at work and came across ALOT of old 1960's heathkit stuff. This guy was in there too but I cant find beans about the company or what its really used for...

Is it worth having around? What would you use it for today?

It did have a very vintage (somehow not exploded/leaky) D cell 1.5V battery in it. Not alot inside besides switches and the SLOPE is connected to a 10 turn pot, there is a gear motor attached to the reset knob with another 10 turn pot on top of that.

There are no other stickers or makings on it. Standard 110Vac plug out the back.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:36:35 pm by TohKah »

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
Re: What is it and should i keep it?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 03:49:42 pm »
Hi

That is a very old box normally used in a control loop. I'd forget about trying to use it and just scrap out the useful parts in it.

Bob

Offline TohKahTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 04:09:06 pm »
Thats what I was leaning towards too, amazing how they designed things back then VS today. 75% of the airspace inside is nothing but airspace haha.

We are keeping the old heathkit stuff (and still use the 500ma power supplys) in its glorious 1950's green and creme colored cases. More as a museum piece of "this si where we came from" sorta deal.

Some stuff we have is still cloth wrapped wire in wood boxes with brass and bakealite terminals. Mostly the CENCO brand. I should post some pictures for people to oogle at (or jog some memories of "vintage forum users" using said stuff in highschool days)

Where would be the best place to post said pictures on this forum? Off topic?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:12:21 pm by TohKah »

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 04:22:55 pm »
Hi

You might want to consider the whole issue of storage before you make any decisions. I have enough stuff at this point that it's costing me $500 a month (for going on 20 years) to store all of it.

I use Photobucket for pictures. There are *lots* of different sites out there.

Bob

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf