Author Topic: What is the best soldering iron out there?  (Read 36326 times)

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
Re: What is the best soldering iron out there?
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2013, 08:40:29 pm »
Maybe it is a cultural difference, but a lot of engineers here in the UK still use relatively cheap Antex and Weller irons for through-hole and larger SMD packages. Amazingly, we still seem to be able to produce well soldered and robust connections.

Before my conversion (JBC) I used a Weller wtcpl station with the magnastat tips and it did and still does work great. And you are correct that you can do very nice solder work with it that would be indistinguishable from a joint done with the JBC. But I do a lot of heavy industrial solder cup style connectors with a lot of thermal mass that took a long time (ten seconds or more) for the Weller to flow.  The JBC flows these in 2 to 3 seconds which is a huge time savings when I am doing a bunch of those connectors. Part of that is the vast array of tip shapes available. I use a bent screwdriver style tip that I can get a lot of tip surface onto the closely spaced solder cups. Also once you get used to a feather light pencil handpiece that stays cool and the tip is much closer to the handle, you just dont want to solder with anything else unless you have to.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2013, 04:42:20 am »
I have an Ersa iCon 1 and I absolutely love it. I would probably feel the same way about a JBC I'd guess. Two things I like better about the Ersa are the iron/handpiece is much nicer and more ergonomic, IMO, and the lo med hi heating ramps to make the PID more or less aggressive. On low there is pretty much zero overshoot on recovery, and on hi it matches the JBC for heating up time, although also for overshoot. The Ersa i-Tool iron is 80W continuous and 150W peak, very similar to the JBC (80 and 140, I believe). It was not easy to find in the U.S. though.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2013, 05:03:23 am »
Maybe it is a cultural difference, but a lot of engineers here in the UK still use relatively cheap Antex and Weller irons for through-hole and larger SMD packages. Amazingly, we still seem to be able to produce well soldered and robust connections.

I don't think it is so much what the soldering iron can do or the quality of its results, but rather how nice it is to use.  A Ford Fiesta will get you where you need to go, but it's much nicer to get there in a Mercedes CL55!
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline ecat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 06:09:50 am »
I have an Ersa iCon 1 and I absolutely love it. I would probably feel the same way about a JBC I'd guess. Two things I like better about the Ersa are the iron/handpiece is much nicer and more ergonomic, IMO, and the lo med hi heating ramps to make the PID more or less aggressive. On low there is pretty much zero overshoot on recovery, and on hi it matches the JBC for heating up time, although also for overshoot. The Ersa i-Tool iron is 80W continuous and 150W peak, very similar to the JBC (80 and 140, I believe). It was not easy to find in the U.S. though.

You may find this interesting...

http://youtu.be/vIT4ra6Mo0s?t=12m14s

An excellent video all told, though a little slow and low-key for whichever advanced decade we're currently in. Thanks to mariush for posting it.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2013, 06:11:03 pm »
Yeah I watched that from his original post. It's interesting and makes sense, but it's still nice to have a high wattage iron for quick heat up and ability to go into standby and quickly recover temp. The different ramps do allow some leeway in using a smaller tip to do the same job as a larger one...don't forget that the video was made long before irons could heat as fast as the ersa and JBC, so the tip's thermal inertia, if you will, was far more important then.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2013, 09:00:36 pm »
I just put together a Metcal  MX-500p with a DSX-1 desoldering gun and rm3 handpiece.  That is just an awesome setup.  It's a little bit of a pain to require shop air for the desoldering venturi, but the results are amazing.  I found a cheapy little 3gal oilless compressor good for 100psi for the air supply and that works very well.  Also gives me an air supply to blow out the dust on the junk I'm always fixing.

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2013, 10:44:20 pm »
Damn it... All this JBC talk has me really curious now... Sooooo if I were to be replacing a Hakko 936, what JBC model should I be looking at? And who's got the best prices USA/USD?
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2013, 12:40:44 am »
Janel is usually the cheapest but this thread is a sale from howard electronics that is very cheap.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2013, 03:07:42 am »
Damn it... All this JBC talk has me really curious now... Sooooo if I were to be replacing a Hakko 936, what JBC model should I be looking at? And who's got the best prices USA/USD?
Assuming you're after the lowest cost (not separates or more ports), the Compact model is the least expensive way to go.

Howard Electronics is selling the older model (CD-1BB) for $350.00.
http://www.howardelectronics.com/jbc/CD-1BB.html

Janel is selling the newer one (CD-1BC) for $428.75.
http://www.janelonline.com/jbc-tools-soldering-station-cd-1bc-p/jbc-tools-cd-1bc.htm

Newer model has a USB port (features), but I suspect the USB isn't critical (i.e. process monitoring for QC reasons), and you'd be happy with either.
Besides, the $78.25 difference can buy you a few tips.  ;D

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2013, 04:49:34 am »
Quote from: ben_r_
LOL. The main thing you need to ask is - will I want to add Tools/Stands in the future? ie Tweezers, De-Soldering, HD
The Compact line is limited BUT - it is cheaper and you then have separate stations. The CD will take 2 size Irons though.
If you go with the Modular line - You can usually buy the DUAL Base Station for $50 more than the single ! Worth it.
Expansion capability is now quite huge. Or if you want bloody serious power -
The HD is fricking awesome. You can solder Earth straps on 10KG Transformers, then S/Mount resistors / SOICs on 8oz copper with a
quick tip change. We have a few set up doing just that !! The master product list should be available on their website.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline mikgntl-2013

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2013, 03:27:00 pm »

It's all about price vs expandability.
If you can afford it then buy a premium kit like the DIT-1B or just the control unit DI-1B (1 tool + suction module) and the tools you need.
Otherwise if you want to use multiple tools at the same time, a control unit like the DD-1B  (2 tools + suction module) would be the right choice.
Said that, the offer from Howard electronics for a JBC CD-1BB at $350.00 seems really good.

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2013, 10:16:20 pm »
Assuming you're after the lowest cost (not separates or more ports), the Compact model is the least expensive way to go.

Howard Electronics is selling the older model (CD-1BB) for $350.00.
http://www.howardelectronics.com/jbc/CD-1BB.html

Janel is selling the newer one (CD-1BC) for $428.75.
http://www.janelonline.com/jbc-tools-soldering-station-cd-1bc-p/jbc-tools-cd-1bc.htm

Newer model has a USB port (features), but I suspect the USB isn't critical (i.e. process monitoring for QC reasons), and you'd be happy with either.
Besides, the $78.25 difference can buy you a few tips.  ;D
USB port on a soldering iron?! Pretty sure I dont need/want that. That being said, is that the only difference between the newer and the older version?
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2013, 05:12:28 am »
USB port on a soldering iron?! Pretty sure I dont need/want that. That being said, is that the only difference between the newer and the older version?
USB port is it from what I was able to determine.

If you want to be absolutely sure, you could go to JBC's site, and download the manuals to make a comparison.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2013, 07:00:50 am »
I checked myself before I bought the BB, and yes, only the usb port, the firmware is even the same on these

Offline jamesp15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2013, 11:58:18 pm »
Can anyone with a CD-1BB or BC tell me its measurements?  (height width depth)   to top of highest part of the iron holder, not the cord-management thing.
With the iron holder set to as close to horizontal as possible and also with it at around the 45 degree angle area.

I cannot seem to find it in the manual or any online docs at www.jbctools.com (or im just missing it entirely.)

Metric or Inches, doesnt matter. 

Offline jamesp15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2013, 11:10:13 pm »
Just in case anyone else needs to know, it is approx 160mm high with the holder at a small angle (~30degree) and just over 140mm high when the holder is horizontal.

Had to change my workbench layout around a bit to get it to fit.

So far I am really liking it, no more waiting forever when re-capping boards with large ground planes like with my old Hakko 888 (which was much faster than  my older irons).   A bit pricey, but I figure I can get 1 more repair in a day with the time saved so it will pay for itself fast.  I am liking it more than than the Metcals they give us at work.

Offline chhrisedwards

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2017, 07:44:37 am »
If you want an updated and slightly cheaper alternative to the MX-500P-11, then I would recommend the OKI MFR-1110. It’s smaller, lighter and more of a current model.

Offline cowana

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2017, 08:10:48 am »
Another vote for the Ersa iCon irons from me.

I came from a JBC to Ersa - I much prefer the flexibility of the cable, small size of the iron, and amazing durability and low cost of the the tips.

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2017, 09:13:57 am »
 :palm:
This tread was last replied to in 2013.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf