Author Topic: What JBC tips do you use regularly and like?  (Read 5746 times)

Offline ransonjdTopic starter

• Contributor
What JBC tips do you use regularly and like?
« on: February 07, 2018, 02:54:08 am »
JBC has an enormous variety of tips available. At their pricing, I can't afford to buy tips I wont use. JBC users out there: What tips do you think are worth owning, and what do you use them for?

My usage is primarily rework, surface mount down to 0402 /0.5mm pitch (some 0201s today,) and miscellaneous through hole. I also solder surface mount power devices to heavy planes and thermal vias. I'm probably going to have a T245 handle and PA120-A tweezers to start, and may add a T210-A or NT105-A later on.

Thanks!

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: What JBC tips do you use regularly and like?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 03:31:31 am »
I have experienced nothing but frustration with JBC tips, they oxidize fast, solder does not stick well to tips, nothing but problems. Every time i reach to the handle i cringe. I will be getting rid of JBC.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: river

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 04:00:06 am »
I have had no problems with JBC tips - I really like them.

The T-245 comes with
C245-903 which I use for general purpose tasks like 18ga wire to board, large headers, etc.
C245-741 which I use for fairly large SMD diodes, 12-16ga wire to PCB pads. It can deliver considerable heat.

I also use
C245-029 probably my most used so far. It is a small bent tip that is good for SMD touch-ups, 0402 passives, etc. Really like this one.
C245-771 is a longer flat blade bent tip that has been excellent working around hard to reach small parts. I do a lot of power electronics and regularly have large caps and inductors that are very close to a VQFN-28. I don't use it a lot, but when I have needed it - it saved the day.

I ordered and waiting for delivery of the C245-757 which I plan to use to remove/replace 0402 passives with greater speed.

I tend to put a small ball of solder on the tip and use one hand for the iron, the other to place the part that is already gel-fluxed. I like that the tips allow that without flowing all over the tip where I don't want the solder to be.

I can do very precise work all day.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 07:21:08 pm »
I tend to put a small ball of solder on the tip and use one hand for the iron, the other to place the part that is already gel-fluxed. I like that the tips allow that without flowing all over the tip where I don't want the solder to be.
I totally get that. This is something that initially perplexed me with my first Hakko. I found a significant downside to the way Hakko tips wick up and spread the solder like an unstoppable force. But maybe that's why Hakko has the TFO bevel tips. I'm pretty sure I like the Hakko "philosophy" better, overall, now that I have these tips; I use these kinds of tips for maybe >80% of my soldering! But then I haven't tried JBC.

I think everyone ought to give Hakko TFO tips a try, if given the chance. Given the shape of the chrome plating combined with Hakko's special sauce in the thick iron plating, they are something different. Apologies for the sidetrack to the OP.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:02:37 pm by KL27x »

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 07:24:52 pm »
I have experienced nothing but frustration with JBC tips, they oxidize fast, solder does not stick well to tips, nothing but problems. Every time i reach to the handle i cringe. I will be getting rid of JBC.

That's unbelievable, I've been using JBCs since the 70's and never ever have had any problem.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline sstepane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 07:31:37 pm »
Hi,

I use several JBC 245 tips, but tip types are dictated by type of work and habits. As to habits - JBC does change these a little bit since it can deliver quite a power with really small tips. On the downside - I don't like JBC "dull" geometry - tips are not that sharp edged as other manufacturers and it sucks a bit, but in most cases it is covered by its ability ti heat up everything it gets close to.
I wish they have been as sharp as Goot cartridges.

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 07:46:14 pm »
Do you use steel wool for cleaning the tip?  At my work place the JBC stations were supplied with steel wool. They caused the tip to last only for a short time. We changed to brass wool and now the tips last almost as long as Metcal tips.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 08:04:38 pm »
The wet sponges are best imo.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline cstratton

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 12:15:18 am »
Speaking of JBC, does anyone know if there's a difference between the base units in the CD-1BE T245 set and the CD-1SE T210 micro set?  They have the same part number in the manual, but the latter is usually listed as much lower wattage.

I want to get a setup for C210 tips to rescue a bunch of QFNs from a badly assembled pilot run, and when I had access to a dual station last year found I only ever wanted to use the T210 handle, not the larger T245.

But that's a big chunk of change, so in buying one, I'd like to know that I had the option to at some point buy a T245 handle for larger work, and dump the full 130 or whatever watts into it.

So essentially, is a CD-1SE with a T245 handle plugged into it the same as a CD-1BE?  Or is it just an oversize C210 tip still limited to something like 40 watts?

Unfortunately, both JBC and Janell ignored my attempts to ask them this last week.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 01:10:07 am »
rescue a bunch of QFNs from a badly assembled pilot run
I've heard that a wok of hot peanut oil can do this.

Since I'm here I'll ask who you guys get your cartridges from. I looked at Janell some time ago, but their shipping was a killer. It was suggested that I email and ask them for a manual shipping quote, but I never got around to it.

Offline Fgrir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 08:18:02 pm »
Speaking of JBC, does anyone know if there's a difference between the base units in the CD-1BE T245 set and the CD-1SE T210 micro set?
My CD-1BE base unit is simply labeled "CD-1E".  The documentation for either CD-1BE or CD-1SE says that they are compatible with either handset, but I can't find any documentation that quite spells out that they supply full power in either case.  While I've never tried it, my understanding is that the base units are identical and will supply the correct power to either handset.  At least that is what I hope as I intended to get the T210 handset someday  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf