Author Topic: What Metcal?  (Read 115817 times)

Offline baoshi

• Regular Contributor
    • Digital Me
Re: What Metcal?
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2014, 05:19:29 am »
you're still coming out ahead ;)

I don't see the stands, used, and so I had to buy a new one, myself.  the pencils are not as big as the hakko and weller and such, so they do get you on the price of the stand.  if you are going to pay so much for the stand, might as well get the sleeper stand since its not much different in price and you at least get a new benfit from it.

Totally makes sense. I found amazon selling cheaper. Remember Dave gets a cut if buying through his affiliate program. Anyone knows how it works?

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2014, 01:18:03 pm »
simple magnets in the stand that fool the tip into thinking it already reached the curie point.

Offline zaptaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2014, 01:49:04 pm »
simple magnets in the stand that fool the tip into thinking it already reached the curie point.

Can this be used to assist the temperature of curie points tips? An electro magnet embedded in the tip with variable current.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2014, 01:52:42 pm »
I bet it would work.

I don't know the feedback method used, though.  I don't think they use a thermocouple in the tip and they rely on the tip doing the magic, itself.  but do they sense a change in load due to the rf level being consumed by the PSU?  I think they do that to detect if a tip is not inserted or is open/shorted.  some testing would be needed to find out what an acceptable mag field would be that would not upset the sending unit/station.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2014, 03:38:02 pm »
On ebay, 9 new SMTC-596 for $43 total shipped.

http://r.ebay.com/WdUjzB

Never used a tip with this shape. What are they good for?

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2014, 05:09:33 pm »
http://www.all-spec.com/products/SMTC-596.html

good for smd caps and resistors.  I have some tips of that shape and it makes easy work to solder or desolder smd 2-pad parts.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2014, 10:44:56 pm »
On ebay, 9 new SMTC-596 for $43 total shipped.

http://r.ebay.com/WdUjzB

Never used a tip with this shape. What are they good for?

-5xx series tips don't get hot enough to be useful - not worth it even if very cheap
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2014, 04:33:46 am »
ah, good catch on that temperature issue.  I didn't even think about that.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2014, 03:48:47 pm »
My metcal handpiece and base developed stickiness since I got them new last year from Amazon (they were perfect when new). The problem occured each time I picked the handpiece and it felt as if it is stuck with some friction into the base. I tried to clean it but it did not help so I gently dremmeled the base's hole to have better clearance on the side of the handpiece and now it is awesome again. I wonder if anybody else had similar problem.

Online SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2014, 05:21:33 pm »
My metcal handpiece and base developed stickiness since I got them new last year from Amazon (they were perfect when new).

I've never heard of that occurring, were they genuine parts?
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »
My metcal handpiece and base developed stickiness since I got them new last year from Amazon (they were perfect when new).

I've never heard of that occurring, were they genuine parts?

I think so. It was from Techni-Tool via Amazon and the base and the hand piece cost $160.

Online SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2014, 06:15:06 pm »
The base on all of mine have been metal. What bit is sticky in particular?
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2014, 02:34:38 pm »
The base on all of mine have been metal. What bit is sticky in particular?

I got this base from Amazon. It is made from hard plastic, similar to the hand piece. The base has hole with a few narrowing steps and the hand piece get all the way in until it is stopped by the last step. In this position, the wide round end of the hand pieces had friction with the wall of the base hole. I gently dremeled gently the inside wall of the base hole to increase the clearance.

http://amzn.com/B001BY4848

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2014, 07:22:54 pm »
I would like to get a MX-500 compatible tip to remove 0805, 0603 and 0402 components.  Any recommendation? What if I need only 0603 and 0402, will be a different choice?

Offline Mr Simpleton

• Supporter
  • Not the sharpest knife in the drawer
« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2014, 11:13:05 pm »
I did the upgrade from Weller to Metcal and couldn't be more happy... We do have some JBC at work and they do perform nice too!

Now I have a broken PS2E-01, but with a wokring MX-500 and no schematics for the PS2E I haven't got round to look into what the problem is. Do anyone have a schematic for this station (PS2E)?? How different is it vs. the MX-500?? Someone mentioned that the FET used is obsolet but could be swapped for a new one with some rework.. Is there more information on this??

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2014, 12:20:32 am »
I would like to get a MX-500 compatible tip to remove 0805, 0603 and 0402 components.  Any recommendation? What if I need only 0603 and 0402, will be a different choice?

You can go down to 0603 with an SMTC 1161
For 0402 then an STTC 825

Smaller than that and you need the really fine conicals and not to have had a beer the previous night.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2014, 03:38:36 am »

Smaller than that and you need the really fine conicals and not to have had a beer the previous night.

Thanks KJDS. I also found this one, STMC 188 which is intended for 0805 to 0402. Anybody has any experience with it or can comment on it?

http://www.all-spec.com/products/smtc-188.html

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2014, 11:35:24 am »

Thanks KJDS. I also found this one, STMC 188 which is intended for 0805 to 0402. Anybody has any experience with it or can comment on it?

http://www.all-spec.com/products/smtc-188.html

Those are great for quickly removing components. Just don't try using one to put anything back on.

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2015, 07:29:27 pm »
I used a Metcal iron earlier in the year on which the cable was getting hot just where it enters the handle. I heard a few months later that it had failed completely. I think it was the SP200 type : it didn't seem very old but it had the larger DIN connector, not the F or mini-din.

I'm a big fan of Metcal and was surprised to see one fail this way. Maybe the cable had been stressed there.

Offline lotec25

« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2015, 06:22:56 am »
That's because the switch doesn't actually turn off the MX-500 power supply completely. The switch sits on the secondary side and it just turns off the DC supply for the 18 V linear voltage regulator which in turn disables the LM2576 SMPS regulator. But the main 53 Vdc supply before the LM2576 is still powered on and a bit of the circuitry is still powered. So it still use some stand-by power with the switch off. So I always turn my Metcal off at the mains outlet when I leave my workspace.
Check where they placed the ON/OFF switch (S1) in this schematic

I picked up a Metcal MX-500P-11, well actually my wife got it for me, for my Birthday. I had the SP200 before this, and it was a very nice station also. Anyways been reading the thread, and seen everyone talking about it drawing power when the switch is off. Can anyone tell me a good location to move the Main switch leds to? So it is turning off the Transformer when I flip it off? I have looked over the schematic, and see a few places, just wanted to see what everyone else has done.

Thanks

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2015, 03:50:44 pm »
I order a hakko inductive tip to see if it fits the MX500. It doesn't.  It's significantly shorter, as a female connector instead of male and is thicker and doesn't fit into the MX500's handle.

Offline xnorbi

« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2016, 11:48:32 am »
hello

I would like to ask, does the Metcal MX-RM3E fit into workstand Metcal MX-W1AV?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2016, 10:16:08 pm »
hello

I would like to ask, does the Metcal MX-RM3E fit into workstand Metcal MX-W1AV?

Thermaltronics sells the SHH-1 which will fit the MX-RM3E.  I could be wrong, but I believe the difference between the MX-RM3e and the MX-H1-AV is the MX-H1-AV is a 2 piece wand with the main body being metal and it is supposed to be lighter weight.  I believe that the RM3E would fit in the MX-W1AV.  The MX-H1-AV is about $85 USD and the SHH-1 is about $60 USD.  I am not sure of pricing in your part of the world. 
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline toly084

« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2017, 06:57:33 pm »
Hi all. Can someone tell me what workstand can hold metcal mx-h2-uf? The main question, can I use ws1 stand? In the message before, someone told that there is different positions for handpieces. I saw before on ebay MX-W1AV for about usd50, but didn't buy. Now I need the stand. In the mistake I bought a big one WS2, but this workstand only for big handpieces.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2017, 09:29:48 am »
Hi all. Can someone tell me what workstand can hold metcal mx-h2-uf? The main question, can I use ws1 stand? In the message before, someone told that there is different positions for handpieces. I saw before on ebay MX-W1AV for about usd50, but didn't buy. Now I need the stand. In the mistake I bought a big one WS2, but this workstand only for big handpieces.

http://www.okinternational.com/hand-soldering-systems/id-MX-W1AV/TipSaver_Solder_Workstand

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf