Author Topic: What Metcal?  (Read 115814 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: What Metcal?
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2017, 04:23:47 am »
I just scored a working w/guarantee MX-500P from fleaBay for $63; I've been looking for a handle and tip at a reasonable price but of course nothing decent used here in the States right now, when I want it quick so I can confirm condition of my new acquisition.

I've got a line on a "good with tip" handle from a China vendor who already has good feedback on this specific item, and man that $57 pricetag is attractive, even if the wait time is 2-4 weeks. But I've read on here about how these handles are known to eventually develop cracks in the shield of the coax that cause operational faults, so I'm having second thoughts about buying used. How "rebuildable" are these handles? Is the coax cable some oddball type if it needs to be replaced, or is it possible to cut back existing cable and repair with reasonable chance of success if need be?

Also, concerning all the handle choices we have if buying new; Do all the Thermaltronics SHP-1 / Metcal MX-RM3E / MX-H1-AV support the sleeper base? Has anyone here successfully hacked the sleeper mode with a generic base? Are there any gotchas using the SHP-1 on the MX-500, like tip incompatibilities, connector not fitting quite right, etc?

Cheers and thanks for your patience,

mnem
With six you get egg roll.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:15:27 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2017, 05:50:14 am »
The coax is odd ball, it is made from antistatic material.  I have never needed to repair one, but there should be no problem.

The sleeper base uses magnets and the laws of physics to reduce the heating effect of the RF energy in the tip, so will work fine with the different manufactures handles, once they physically fit the stand.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2017, 03:31:37 pm »
The SHP-1 is a direct replacement for the RM-3E.  You should be fine.  I have a couple of Thermaltronics tips for my MX-500 and they work/fit the same as the NOS tips I bought.  The SHH-1 stand is the one that goes with it.  Check out this guy.  He has offered deals on the Blog in the past. https://www.ebay.com/sch/denbo32/m.html?item=261712067951&epid=872547024&hash=item3cef413d6f%3Ag%3Aio4AAOSwGWNUVjAr&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Contact him and let him know you found out about him on the Blog, you make catch a break.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2017, 09:18:21 pm »
Well.. I once fixed a handpiece which had its coax worn out just inside the handpiece.  Had to re-fit the coax
onto the coaxial socket for the tip.  More than a royal pain in the backside..  The cable is silicone rubber (I think) and
it has Teflon (from the looks of it) dielectric inside.  All very awkward to repair.  I did it 3 times over time and then muttered
something like scr* it and bought a brand new one.  Expensive but worth it..

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2017, 11:26:15 pm »
Towger -

Thanks for the tech info on the cable and on how the sleeper stand works; I expected the cable wouldn't be run-of the-mill RG-59U. As for sleep mode, I imagined either something RFID-based in the stand that the MX500P detected, or something like it detecting a specific increase in SWR due to the magnetic flux and thereby knowing to reduce RF power. I'm pretty sure that's how it fault-detects the handset, or maybe it just looks for open-circuit; I dunno.

GreyWoolfe -

Yeah, I saw denbo32's listing for a SHP-S at $59 and almost plotzed, then realized it was NOT the one for the MX500 but for the SP200. I checked his other listings and added him to my list due to decent prices on new Thermaltronics tips. But man... even at his prices (his regular prices on fleaBay, that is) I can still get the Metcal Renewal Kit for around the same cost... ($160 on Amazon). That's a bit too much hobby expenditure for this paycheck; but I'll take your advice and contact him and see what he says anyways. :D

wkb -

Yeeeg... that's exactly what I feared I'd run into. Man I sure hope you're wrong because I'm really leaning towards one of those used handsets now, just due to simple economics and timing. We'll see what denbo32 has to offer before I pull the trigger, though.

Thanks all for the benefit of your experience; I do prefer to make an informed choice if possible.

mnem
Life is one big long educated guess; interspersed with brief periods of painful education.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 01:50:05 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2017, 02:57:46 pm »
mnementh,
If you are still in the market, I have an extra used power supply (the single output one, STSS-002) and handpiece (MX-RM3E), plus a bunch of new tips that I am looking to sell.  I also have a desoldering gun (MX-DS1) available, which is by far the best desoldering tool I've ever used. I don't have stands available unfortunately. PM me if interested and we'll talk.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2017, 02:04:17 am »
I can vouch for macboy - I purchased an MX-DS1 from him and it is great! Don't hesitate to trust him.

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2017, 11:00:05 am »
I just bought an MX-500, and I'm looking at an ST2PV, but the output on the back is annoying.

The DS1 needs an external compressor right?

I'm looking at replacing my Atten rework station, so now I just need a hot air, and also a desoldering gun would be nice.

The Pace PPS85 can be better since it have the pump inside and has 3 channels.
Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: September 04, 2017, 08:29:01 pm »
The MX-DS1 uses a venturi to generate the vacuum; which actuates in milliseconds as opposed to others which draw a vacuum with a pump. This makes it one of the best functioning desoldering heads available. Also, since it runs from air, you can remote locate your compressor and never hear the pump running.

Cheers,

mnem
*Off. Slightly.*

Offline The Doktor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #159 on: September 06, 2017, 09:40:59 pm »
I can vouch for macboy - I purchased an MX-DS1 from him and it is great! Don't hesitate to trust him.

Is macboy here frequently? I sent him a PM several days ago, but never got a reply.

Ed

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: September 07, 2017, 12:16:17 am »
Sorry Ed, I see your PM now. I'll see what I have to meet your needs, I'll send you a PM soon.

Offline oilburner

• Contributor
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2017, 12:23:32 am »
I also bought some Metcal goodness from MacBoy, great guy to work with!

Greg

Offline blackberriesandthinkpads

« Reply #162 on: September 30, 2017, 04:45:19 pm »
Looking for specifics on the older Metcal blocky power supplies. Are they ESD safe (grounded tips)?

What are the major differences between the models?

I notice Metcal's part numbering seems inconsistent between models and parts :S.

So what's the difference between?:
-RFG-30
-STSS-001
-STSS-002
-PS2E
-PS2V

Documentation on Metcal's website is very limiting.

Cheerio,

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2017, 03:30:03 pm »
All Metcal STSS and MX systems are ESD safe. I have less knowledge about the other systems so I can't say but I'd be very surprised if not. The tip is grounded. The silicone insulation of the cord between the handle and power supply is also carbon-loaded to prevent static. All STSS and MX power supplies will also refuse to turn on if ground is not present on the AC line, and will power off if ground is lost.

The STSS-001 and STSS-002 are soldering systems, consisting of a power supply, handle, stand, etc. The power supply included with either STSS-001 or STSS-002 systems was one of: RFG-30, PS2, PS2E, or PS2V. The RFG-30 is older and the PS2- is newer. They are essentially functionally identical. I have read that the PS2E-01 has a 30 minute auto-shutoff, but I don't believe that is true. I believe that the timed auto-shutoff was added to the MX-500.

The MX-500 is also generic soldering system name, but it is even more confusing. It may refer to older systems with a power supply having two switchable outputs, or newer systems with a display and two simultaneous outputs. Various suffixes indicate the specific system. e.g. MX-500-S11 includes the MX-500-P11 (120 VAC input voltage, switchable output) supply and MX-RM3E handpiece. The MX-500AV includes the newer MX-500P (universal voltage, simultaneous output) supply and MX-H1-AV handpiece.

The following users thanked this post: blackberriesandthinkpads

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #164 on: October 02, 2017, 05:36:30 pm »
MacBoy, you are correct the MX-500(I have the PII) has the 30 minute auto-shutoff.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2017, 07:38:30 pm »
Thanks for the help macboy. I've read the manual for the PS2-E, no mention of timer shutoff.

I'm in the market for a single output system. I know the RFG-30 PSU is the oldest, so I'm avoiding that one. Still trying to figure out the difference between the PS2E and PS2V. At the least would like to know which one's newer for now.

I'd like to try and definitively know before I purchase. Was hoping this would be easier to figure out, just lost what looked to be a pretty decent setup.

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2017, 08:11:23 pm »
The PS2E is 110V for US market and the PS2V is 230V for EU market, can't be rewired.

Like the old MX-500-11 is 110V for US and MX-500-21 is 230V for EU, but both can be rewired for 110V or 230V.

I've an MX-500-21 and an PS2V.

Still looking to choose between the RM3E or H1-AV irons, or Thermalite clones.
Nuno
CT2IRY

« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2017, 08:57:04 pm »
The PS2E is 110V for US market and the PS2V is 230V for EU market, can't be rewired.

That's what I initially thought, but then thought I found US sellers selling PS2Vs, though now that I check again, can't find any. Must have been real tired when I came to that conclusion.

So PS2E it is then. Thanks.

What's the deal with the Thermaltronic clones, patent run out?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:18:49 pm by blackberriesandthinkpads »

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2017, 09:12:20 pm »
What's the deal with the Thermalite clones, patent run out?

Yes, Metcal patent end, and Thermalite are build by old Metcal employers.
Nuno
CT2IRY

« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2017, 09:24:06 pm »

I'm guessing you meant to say Thermaltronics :). It seems Easybraid has also cloned Metcal's hand pieces.

Have you made any progress on your decision between the RM3E and H1-AV? I'm in the same boat.

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2017, 09:29:31 pm »
Yes, Thermaltronics.

The diference I see is the the H1 is small and lighter since is made of aluminium, from what I could read here on the forum, the Thermaltronics looks like the RM3E.
Nuno
CT2IRY

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2017, 01:29:30 am »
The Thermaltronics SHP-1 is a clone of the Metcal  MX-H1-AV. Both are equally functional with appropriate MetCal or Thermaltronics power units.

If you're shopping on fleaBay, I'll warn you against the guy from China selling "used" MX-RM3Es for approx $54-56 with used tip. I bought one due to being short of cash, and now regret not getting with macboy to sort my "new to me" MX-500. While the tip I received is serviceable, the handle is NOT "used, working"; it is "beat to death then cobbled back together with super glue."

The one I bought came with 4 slices in the outer sheath that had been patched with super glue and kapton tape, as well as the handle AND connector end had been ghetto-fab "fixed" and put back together with super glue and accelerant. Mine was repaired incorrectly; the center pin doesn't make contact unless I take the nut off the F-connector on my MX-500. It does work in that scenario, and when I spoke with the vendor he happily refunded me more than half; enough that I'm willing to take a gamble on fixing it as a spare. But I'll be getting another as soon as I catch up on my taxes.

Cheers,

mnem
"SPOOON!!!"

Offline connectionvalidationman

• Contributor
« Reply #172 on: October 07, 2017, 03:02:29 pm »
The MX-500 kept its name due to customer demand. Many users spec-in a particular model of soldering system. When the manufacturer changes part numbers, they sometimes have to write a new specification document and this can delay their replacement process.

Another good example is to look at the automotive market:
The Honda "Civic" has been around since the 1970's and it is still a "Civic".

Offline icamaster

• Contributor
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2021, 07:41:34 pm »
Quick question about Metcal units. For a MFR-PS1100, if I want to use it with Thermaltronics cartridges, such as https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/soldering-iron-tips/8609450/, what handle do I need to get? MFR-H1-SC or MFR-H6-SSC? Or neither are compatible with Thermaltronics cartridges?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf