Author Topic: Where can I buy Durable, Good Quality USB connectors?  (Read 2893 times)

Offline salilTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Where can I buy Durable, Good Quality USB connectors?
« on: August 19, 2014, 06:17:12 am »
I feel like it's hit and miss depending on where I buy USB connectors, but for the most part they tend to be kind of weak except when I find them in certain overpriced commercial products.  Even in some 3rd party commercially available USB chargers (many of which are USA companies), I've had ports become loose, pins getting bent, etc after less than a year of regular usage.  I still have (and regularly make use of) an original Apple iPhone USB charger from 2007 and the USB port on it still provides a very solid connection.

Where (or what brand?) can I reliably get durable USB connectors for regular usage like this in small quantities?  Has anyone done an evaluation/comparison of different manufacturers' usb connectors?  Right now I'm specifically looking for through-hole USB A female connectors.  Any leads are greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:30:22 am by salil »

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Where can I buy Durable, Good Quality USB connectors?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 10:30:24 am »
digikey, invert sort by price  ?
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline salilTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 01:40:28 pm »
How do you determine the durability of the different model connectors on Digikey?

I don't need heavy duty water sealed connectors or anything like that, just reasonably solid ones that aren't ultra weak.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 02:05:36 pm »
I feel like it's hit and miss depending on where I buy USB connectors, but for the most part they tend to be kind of weak ...

What brands didn't work for you?

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 08:14:23 pm »
My experience, that 90% of the job is the enclosure design. Some manufacturers, like TE conn. have industrial grade USB connectors (haha, what a joke). Other than that TH verson seems to be more durable.

Offline pinkman

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 03:15:06 pm »
I assume you're looking for standard A connectors.

Most USB connectors have a durability rating, which gives you an idea of how many connection cycles the connector can withstand before the electrical/mechanical specs fall out of datasheet parameters.

You are looking for a connector rated for 10,000 cycles or more.  You should also shy away from the connectors which have surface mount mounting tabs - Use only the thru hole versions as you will pull these SMD tabs off sooner or later if you're hard on the connector.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf