Author Topic: Which metalworking mill have you got?  (Read 13693 times)

Offline Wolf

Re: Which metalworking mill have you got?
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2016, 04:29:09 am »
I've got a proxxon mf70 that I converted to CNC.  I mostly use it for precision drilling, but I have used it to mill a few simple single-sided boards and a few other things.  It's really easy to do a CNC conversion, but I probably wouldn't buy it again.  It is *really* small.

I also have an X1 from Little Machine Shop. http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4700&category=1387807683, and I really like it.  I haven't converted it to CNC, and I probably won't, but it's a nice small machine.  I have some unboxing videos on my blog.  I got the unit with the MT2 spindle and bought an MT2 to ER-20 adapter for it.

I also have a old sherline lathe that I got a really good deal on through ebay.  I bought an MT1 to ER20 adapter for it, so I can use the same set of collets on my mill and lathe.  I really like the sherline, though I run into its size limitation more often than I'd like.

I'm running similar, sort of... I have a harbor freight X1 that I got from craigslist for a few hundred bucks w/ basic tooling, cheap mics, mills, vice and some bits and parts from LMS (along with a 7x10 lathe as well) I ended up converting it the X1 to CNC, It does aluminum, but not well, a part that would probably take a average machinist a couple hours on a bridgeport takes all day on the X1 CNC lol.
On the other hand I also have a extended x/y X2  hybrid CNC conversion that I am building from some LMS parts (extended x/y table kit, solid post conversion, head stock/R8 spindle from another machine), ebay ball screws, budget steppers, and a brushless 750w sewing machine motor + controller. 

As for tool holding, with the X2 and bigger IMO I would look to getting 3/4 shank holders (china) or the Tormach tool holders, then really you can run the tool holders on anything with a 3/4" collet in it, I almost picked up a 5000lb Van-Norman mill with some odd spindle that has collets that run in the $200+ range with that idea (but it needed way too much work...) 

If I ever get around to getting the X2 don, I'll probably look in to doing a brushless conversion on the X1, new bearings and up the spindle speed to use it more for just engraving (really too much flex for much else) 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf