Author Topic: whirlpool ikea brand cooktop  (Read 18027 times)

Offline stenorTopic starter

• Contributor
whirlpool ikea brand cooktop
« on: February 18, 2014, 07:21:30 pm »
Hello eevbloggies  ^-^

This should maybe have been in beginners section, but I'm not looking to do any electrical work, so maybe not.

Question for the engineers: This: http://www.ikea.com/no/no/catalog/products/40222829/ <-- Ikea Folklig
Specifically about its interface, and perhaps some hidden servicing functions. You see, the thing has started to operate with a 24h limit...!  :-//

One day it wouldn't respond to anything, so I reset the proper fuse in the fuse box - it seemed to reboot, then it worked again... for approx 24 hours.
How this started I cannot say with certainty.
Anyway, in my limited knowledge it seems like a logic fault, or perhaps the firmware needs to be reset. I suspect there are some advanced servicing functions that could perhaps do a reset.
When resetting mains, all the lights go on (88888) then it show 1 on the leftmost display and zero on rest- then beeps once. Also for a short time after this, I can touch the various buttons and they make different beep sounds, like some configuring stuff. I don't know if it did any of this before though.

The manual got nothing - but it does seem to mention some reset function that sadly is never described (It was a whirlpool manual I found which seemed remarkably similar to the ikea manual).

Thanks for reading

Oh yeah, should mention I've been doing this 24h thing every day for about two months now - so it's not broken as such.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:26:22 pm by stenor »

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Re: whirlpool ikea brand cooktop
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 07:35:00 pm »
Oh yeah, should mention I've been doing this 24h thing every day for about two months now - so it's not broken as such.

It is broken. So bring it back where you bought it and ask for a replacement or your money back.

Thing is, there would be no magic "fix things" function in any service menu - assuming there is one and you can gain access to it.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:58:40 pm »
Based on your link, I guess you live in Norway.

Contact IKEA. If your stove top is less than 5 years old(*) and has a significant defect, you will get it fixed or receive a new or similar stove top  that works. You may even get a full refund in case you prefer that solution. If your stove top needs a reboot every day, it obviously has a significant defect.

(*) In Norway, if a home appliance that is meant to last significantly longer than 2 years fails, you can forward a claim within 5 years. This may partly explain why Norwegians have to pay way more than the rest of the world for items that are meant to last for a while.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:12:31 pm by nixxon »

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:25:28 pm »

It is broken. So bring it back where you bought it and ask for a replacement or your money back.

Thing is, there would be no magic "fix things" function in any service menu - assuming there is one and you can gain access to it.

I guess that sounds reasonable. But then the problem seem to have started with "pressing of buttons" - and the fact that its exactly 24h...

But, of course, I's still under warranty so that should be no problem. I was just hoping for a "better solution" for the moment.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 08:29:31 pm »
Replace it with a conventional gas range. I hate cooking on electric cookers, despite how nice and clean and fashionable they look. You can't beat real flames.

ETA: MUCH MUCH cheaper per kWh than electricity too. At least in the UK.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:31:58 pm by Macbeth »

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:44:28 pm »
Replace it with a conventional gas range. I hate cooking on electric cookers, despite how nice and clean and fashionable they look. You can't beat real flames.

Have you ever tried an induction type stove top? It is even faster than LNG. I never looked back.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 08:45:52 pm »

I wouldn't mind that (in the cooking sense), but then I guess there would be some extra work with the gas'n stuff. But the real obstacle is that I live alone in a small rental apartment, so apart form being overkill - I couldn't if I wanted to.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 08:53:38 pm »

Have you ever tried an induction type stove top? It is even faster than LNG. I never looked back.

Do yours make clicking noises? Mine does always (kind of annoying), but maybe it depends on the pots, I use ikea there too.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 09:02:32 pm »
induction cooking is awesome, plenty of worktop/plugin induction hobs around now too if you in rental

but ditto other comments, if it's broke and under warranty then just take it back!

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 09:03:13 pm »
Whilst I agree with Macbeth that gas is preferable, I have induction and don't regret it, for me the time saved cleaning is worth the few niggles.

Ain't it grand electronics and cooking combined  :P 

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 09:49:30 pm »

Yes, except for the reboot thing  ;D

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 11:57:47 pm »

Yes, except for the reboot thing  ;D
And the power consumption. We are meant to be "green" here aren't we? ;)

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 03:59:03 am »
And how is burning gas a cleaner thing?

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 09:03:18 am »
And the power consumption. We are meant to be "green" here aren't we? ;)

Yes I'm very green, in electronics, as well as in terms of environmental friendliness  ;)

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 11:55:57 am »
Sure it is 24 and not 12 hours?

I found two manuals mentioning an interresting feature:

12-Hour Shutoff
The oven control is set to automatically shut off the oven 12 hours after the oven initiates a cook or clean function. This will not interfere with any timed or delay cook functions.
Press and hold START TIME for 5 seconds to toggle to the 12-hour shutoff function. Scrolling text will display “12 HR SHUT-OFF ON” or “12 HR SHUT-OFF OFF.” Press and hold to change setting.
To exit, press CANCEL/OFF.

12 HOUR ENERGY SAVER FEATURE
The 12 Hour Energy Saver feature automatically turns off
the oven if it is accidently left on for over 12 hours.
To deactivate this feature so the oven will NOT turn off
automatically at the end of 12 hours:
1. Press and hold CLOCK pad
for 3 seconds.
2. Press Y or B pad until
8888 appears in the display.
Timer
Clock B
Y
then
S Current time of day will reappear in the display after 4 seconds.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to reactivate this feature.
S 12 will appear in display to indicate the Energy Saver feature is reactivated

Check your manual for something similar?

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 04:32:19 pm »
Sure it is 24 and not 12 hours?

I found two manuals mentioning an interresting feature:

12-Hour Shutoff
The oven control is set to automatically shut off the oven 12 hours after the oven initiates a cook or clean function. This will not interfere with any timed or delay cook functions.
Press and hold START TIME for 5 seconds to toggle to the 12-hour shutoff function. Scrolling text will display “12 HR SHUT-OFF ON” or “12 HR SHUT-OFF OFF.” Press and hold to change setting.
To exit, press CANCEL/OFF.

12 HOUR ENERGY SAVER FEATURE
The 12 Hour Energy Saver feature automatically turns off
the oven if it is accidently left on for over 12 hours.
To deactivate this feature so the oven will NOT turn off
automatically at the end of 12 hours:
1. Press and hold CLOCK pad
for 3 seconds.
2. Press Y or B pad until
8888 appears in the display.
Timer
Clock B
Y
then
S Current time of day will reappear in the display after 4 seconds.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to reactivate this feature.
S 12 will appear in display to indicate the Energy Saver feature is reactivated

Check your manual for something similar?

I will look into it later, to see if I can somehow apply these steps to my unit.
But, yes, in my case its 24h.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 05:06:22 pm »
these manuals where for some other whirlpool cooktops, it is difficult to download ANYTHING from whirlpool site without an productnumber, and IKEA ofcourse doesnt say what whirlpool product they are selling, but since two products from whirlpool have this feature I guess a third one also could have it.
But one should think that removing the fuses should reset that memory though..

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 11:21:20 pm »

If only I had gas to cook on...
About the cooktop: get one which has (old fashion) controls on the oven below. It has much more room for pans without the touchpanel (which sucks anyway).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 08:09:11 am »
I replaced our gas Cooker with a Bosch induction 3 years ago, and have never regretted.
Well besid having to replaced most if the lightweight alu cooking equipment also , as expensive as the Bosh Unit. I Think induction is as responsive as the gas , and not as dirty/greezy in the kitchen.

My brother bouhgt an expensive french sounding induction cooking stowe. And after 2 years the controls were fsck'ing up Big time, and the 7-segs playing random light show.
A search on the net revealed .......  (Dave language) .... Taaaa...Daaaaa bad caps ,85 deg's used in inductor control beside the heatsinks.  Change 3 caps to 105 deg. , and all ok. Mfg. Only wanted to sell a new board for $ 500. One year later , new lightshow. Change all the remaining caps to 105's.
And it's still working.

Morale .... Even expensive french cooking gear uses shitty 85'deg caps.

/Bingo

Offline Frost

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 10:41:22 am »
I Think induction is as responsive as the gas , and not as dirty/greezy in the kitchen.
Yes, I am too. The only problem was I had to replace
some of my new pots and pans >:(

The next big thing and the future of induction cooking
are Full Surface Induction Cooktops like the Simens
EH875KU11E or the Gaggenau CX 480

The ownly drawback, they are so extremely expensive
at the moment :(

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 07:11:39 pm »
I've notified the landlord and he'll contact ikea for an replacement soon. I suppose they'll want the old unit back, but if not it would be nice to try and repair it - like bingo600 did.

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 11:30:27 pm »
Gimme!  That's awesome.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 11:59:21 pm »
Yes, I could give up my gas stove for that. Sod the bills - I would have to be spending $10,000 per week on a Manhattan apartment to house it anyway.

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 10:35:12 pm »
Aaaahaha.

The landlord texted me today and asked if it couldn't be the "stove guard"-tingy thats there for safety, which caused it. Well of course I checked it out and what do you know. Here's what I read in the manual of that "thing":

...blablabla, if none of the above helps then turn of the breaker, and you'll have power for another 24h....

|O

There's no explanation in the manual as to why this device suddenly decides to behave like this. Though it says changing batteries might help, those I measured and are 1.4v AAA.

Kind of annoying doing this reboot everyday 2-3 months. And this oven device I've never encountered before, so it didn't occur to me it might cause something like this.

So I'm 98% certain this is the cause now, I cant verify it for sure because I'll have to wait for the "shutoff" to occur before I can press the "tiny button" on the "guard box"  :P

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 11:56:29 pm »
Thats it! Norwegian electronics stuff suck! No there's nothing new about the cooktop, it's just that I realised how bad those few products I've seen are. These obscure Norwegian electronic companies seem really inexperienced and make bad designs.
I'm talking about 3 separate electronic products - from 3 different companies.

1. This "stove guard"

2. One "Central fire alarm control"

3. Electric "Indoor climate friendly" Heater

The fire alarm had a function that made it beep loudly once every minute, or 30 secs - something, for as long as there was power outage. Well power outages happen, especially in the countryside. Those times I couldn't stay inside, and there was no way to deactivate it.

The oven is... just a bunch of loose aluminum plates, rattling inside this floor cage... It even started to rattle apart because of poor quality power being delivered to the countryside. Made it buuzzz when the fluctuations occurred.

And lastly the "stove guard". It never gave an indication that it was the culprit in this frustrating case. No beep, or lights or anything. And why did it do it?  :palm:

/rant

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf