Author Topic: quality  (Read 6093 times)

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
quality
« on: August 08, 2016, 06:26:37 pm »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:05:17 pm by jpb »

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Wiha quality ??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 07:34:07 pm »
I'd be suspicious. I had some drivers a few years ago that had a couple that were darker and they were very brittle. They were RS branded. I haven't tried Wiha ones yet.

I tend to buy Wera stuff these days; I genuinely haven't found a single problem with any of their products and they are the only company I haven't! Complete consistency. They are also the only vendor of micro screwdrivers I've used for more than 3 years without knackering them. You can properly crank a tiny stuck philips screw and the driver and head will survive no problems.

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 08:05:07 pm »
My 2 years old TX6 wiha is like yours, a little darker at the end. no problem so far with a heavy use.
bought from a local french dealer.

Offline RobertHolcombe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 11:14:59 pm »
I only own a single Wiha nut-driver so I can't speak for the quality of their other products, but did want to reply specifically to say that you will not be disappointed with PB Swiss - they are by far the best screwdrivers I have ever owned.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 11:22:31 pm »
Can't comment on the color, but I have well over a 100 Wiha drivers, never once an issue, quality is top notch.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 11:37:53 pm »
Farnell sent a replacement set, which they said they would inspect first but it was just as bad.
Then they sent a second replacement and it was a bit better but still not up to the standards I'd expect from a quality German manufacturer. So I sent that back too and have ordered a set from PB Swiss tools.
First world problems, unhappy with a tip finish... I call it acting like an asshole. I don't get how this tells anything about them being not of perfectly good quality. The thing is, farnell will never sell them again, all 3 sets will be scrapped.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 11:47:27 pm »
I've sent the photos to Wiha but they, apart from saying they had no production quality problems, haven't responded.
Different material used for particular screwdriver. My Wera torx screwdrivers have completely black tips, so what?

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 11:52:45 pm »
I have a whole bunch of Wiha drivers - I don't think the variations in the tip color indicates any real problem.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 12:33:47 am »
So one tip's from a factory or line which black oxides the tools, and the others aren't. I don't see the problem. Maybe they just hadn't finished changing the lines over yet.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 01:46:32 am »
So one tip's from a factory or line which black oxides the tools, and the others aren't. I don't see the problem. Maybe they just hadn't finished changing the lines over yet.
Looking at a large collection of Wiha drivers here the finishes on the tips and the shafts vary quite a lot. The sets are probably assembled from bulk stock rather than being made in matched batches so variation is possible.

If the dimensions are accurate and you can't measure the material properties, returning multiple sets on cosmetic grounds is pretty rough. Using a probe to measure the hardness is something that can be done with simple bench tools if you were actually interested.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 02:18:43 am »
I see no problems on the photos. Once I worked in a factory and there were Wiha and Bahco Ergo screwdrivers. http://www.bahco.com/en/s/ergo-screwdrivers/55-9c-e5-ca-76-1f-84-df-b5-61-12-78-26-e9-07-98/
For home use I have many Narex screwdrivers. They are OK, but I do not use them too often. Unfortunately they have a low quality print on the handgrip but I do not care.
http://www.narextools.cz/en/profi-line They have an OK price. I like the hole in the handgrip.
You will not find a hole in Wiha or Wera screwdrivers.  :-- :--
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:23:04 am by Hydrawerk »
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 02:22:46 am »
There is a high quality print on Wera screwdirvers. http://www-de.wera.de/product_detail.html?L=0&file=schraubendreher_kraftform_plus__serie_300_334_sk&lang=de
It cannot be wiped off.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 03:42:38 am »
If the dimensions are accurate and you can't measure the material properties, returning multiple sets on cosmetic grounds is pretty rough. Using a probe to measure the hardness is something that can be done with simple bench tools if you were actually interested.

Seems the OP was looking for mantel shelf tools in which case I guess color shade variation/scratches/signs of use would be a problem.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 06:42:20 am »
I have two sets, system 4 and system 6, in these rollup bags, the system 6 have the silver finish the whole way.
The system 4 are black on the end, just like that one, except all are like that (maybe two have silver, but can't see due to the paint on system 4)

So I guess it's intentional, and just a change in production.

Now I wonder if TopLoser also picks up tool-sets and resells..

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 11:22:42 am »
the dark part is the result of a thermal hardening process; after the treatment sometimes the manufacturer uses sandblasting to clean the surface and to increase the grip, so the finish may vary because of the size of the sand used (glass microballs, Al2O3 etc).

Maybe that one is coming from a production line with different thermal hardening temp or without the sandblasting treatment.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:32:04 am by mcinque »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 11:33:00 am »
To others' points, I wouldn't call this topic "Wiha quality" but instead "Wiha consistency"... Until proven otherwise, there is nothing particularly wrong with the off-colored tool you received.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 11:44:20 am »

Of couse I do, usually I give away small sets like this when somebody orders an expensive item and there is space left in the box.

Usually they don't make it as far as me, the easiest quickest way for Farnell to process them is to throw them away.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 12:14:22 pm »
I am under the impression that the torx bits at least are made in Vietnam. http://www.wiha.com/en-au/manufacturing-locations/#c215
Did you find a good price on pbswiss?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 01:27:26 pm »
I can't complain about the Wiha tools I got, also compaired to high quality stuff from other vendors.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 02:21:42 pm »
Farnell sent a replacement set, which they said they would inspect first but it was just as bad.
Then they sent a second replacement and it was a bit better but still not up to the standards I'd expect from a quality German manufacturer. So I sent that back too and have ordered a set from PB Swiss tools.
First world problems, unhappy with a tip finish... I call it acting like an asshole. I don't get how this tells anything about them being not of perfectly good quality. The thing is, farnell will never sell them again, all 3 sets will be scrapped.
No, keep an eye on Toploser's postings in the buy&sell section!  :P
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 02:30:59 pm »
No, keep an eye on Toploser's postings in the buy&sell section!  :P
Unfortunately:
Of couse I do, usually I give away small sets like this when somebody orders an expensive item and there is space left in the box.

Usually they don't make it as far as me, the easiest quickest way for Farnell to process them is to throw them away.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 02:50:17 pm »
And this is why I would never consider becoming a retailer / reseller, having to deal with people like this.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 02:54:44 pm »

cool, haven't seen any so far. Bought some from amazon, and found them to be very good screwdrivers, so I think I want to start replacing my old scrap.
Let me know if this set is throwing around: http://uk.farnell.com/wiha/40350/precision-screwdriver-set-51-pieces/dp/2508420
:)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf