Author Topic: Windows 10 IoT Core  (Read 2967 times)

Offline digitalnomadjcTopic starter

• Contributor
Windows 10 IoT Core
« on: May 19, 2015, 08:26:00 am »
Just curious, is anyone planning to use/already using the Windows IoT Core edition for anything?

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/iot

This is the last place I would want to run Windows but I'm curious if anyone has a use case for it.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
Re: Windows 10 IoT Core
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:29:47 am »
I have been using Netduino/Micro dotnet framework, so running Windows IoT core would be very interesting, as it is possible to run normal .net code on it (GUI-less but still), have an Raspberry2 ready for it, but it looks like I need an windows10 computer to be able to set it up, so It have to wait for now.

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 12:13:23 pm »
I've worked with the NT kernel source. So no way in hell. The stack is too deep and too opaque for generic embedded stuff IMHO.

Plus with no source, no support contract, if something blows up, even with a checked build (which appears not to be available), debug symbols, windbg running remotely, most of it is just a bucket of hell waiting for you. GDB remote debug is marvelous in comparison. Hell even most of the build in kernel debugging stuff in linux is pretty nice. Oh it blew, backtrace, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I see.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:15:23 pm by smjcuk »

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:53:03 pm »
Agree with the others that I would certainly not want Windows on anything other than my desktop... and I'd replace the latter with some Linux if it had sufficient software compatibility.

I almost read that URL as https://dev.windows.com/en-us/idiot :D

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 04:19:07 am »
It's a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, but think of the hours of entertainment we'll get when reading the horror stories. Between developer frustration and people turning refrigerators into zombie botnets it's going to be a hoot.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf