Author Topic: Wire and Solder spool holder  (Read 22989 times)

Offline iceisfunTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Wire and Solder spool holder
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:54:23 pm »
Does anyone know of a good solution to hold spools of wire and solder?

Thanks

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Wire and Solder spool holder
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:58:38 pm »
i have a high tech cutting edge system of holding my spools of solder that i like to call "nail in a board".

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 11:21:02 pm »
most people just use pipe for large spools, small rods for small spools.. and hang them up, either on the wall or on the desktop (for solder).
You can get commercial solder holders, and you can make a cheap one by bending a coat hanger into a self-supporting spool holder for your workbench.

I've seen people use coat hangers for a soldering iron holder too.

I personally use an old can of Corinthians Vanilla Cream Wafers with a hole punched through the lid, and the solder inside.  It stays put on the desk, and can be a third hand sometimes too.  Plus, the wafers were yummy :)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 12:58:34 am »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 01:34:21 am »
Ha!- I Love the Kandel and Schwartz monitor stand.  :-+

I taught neuroscience using that book back in the early 90s.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 02:09:32 am »
Example of a cheap, ready-made solution if you don't want to bother with DIY.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solder-Soldering-Wire-Reel-Metal-Holder-Stand-Support-/300690922900?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4602935d94#ht_3512wt_1362

These work well.  I use a double one on my main bench made by Hakko.  It holds two spools which is great since I use two different gauge solders.

I recently built a separate soldering station so I made my own double holder to keep the limited workspace clear.

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 02:19:30 am »
I recently built a separate soldering station so I made my own double holder to keep the limited workspace clear.

[/quote]

+1 on that soldering stand.  My workspace is pretty limited, and your solution is brilliant. 

BBL, cutting wood :)

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 02:28:51 am »
The shelf supports are made from 3/8 inch threaded rod.  You can adjust the height of each shelf just by moving the nuts holding each shelf up or down.  I slid 3/8 diameter clear PVC over the rods to give them a "high tech" look.

I built a monitor stand on the other side of the station the same way.

The solder spool holder is also made using 3/8 threaded rod covered in PVC.  Nut in the middle to keep spools apart and lock nuts on the ends.  It snaps in and is held by two one and a half inch hooks.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:15:03 am by SLJ »

Offline creyc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 05:08:21 am »
The shelf supports are made from 3/8 inch threaded rod.  You can adjust the height of each shelf just by moving the nuts holding each shelf up or down.  I slid 3/8 diameter clear PVC over the rods to give them a "high tech" look.

I built a monitor stand on the other side of the station the same way.

The solder spool holder is also made using 3/8 threaded rod covered in PVC.  Nut in the middle to keep spools apart and lock nuts on the ends.  It snaps in and is held by two one and a half inch hooks.

Where's that shiny new Weller WX station!?

I do like that setup, especially the large scope front and center.  Do you happen to recall which model that is?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 05:51:02 am »
This make project looks interesting. You can either download the files to make it yourself, or there's a link to where you can buy one. Cost is reasonable as well.

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 05:53:40 am »
Ha!- I Love the Kandel and Schwartz monitor stand.  :-+

I taught neuroscience using that book back in the early 90s.

HAHA.. Yeah, I studied neuroscience as part of my university courses in computer vision and AI.   That was the course book at Berkeley back then.

Now it's the biggest book I have that raises the monitor to just the right height.

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 06:03:12 am »
This make project looks interesting. You can either download the files to make it yourself, or there's a link to where you can buy one. Cost is reasonable as well.

Got some time on my schools laser cutter this week and made one of my own (modified for 2 or 3 rolls of solder outlets). Haven't gotten a chance to use it much though, I've been reorganizing all the crap on my desk.

One thing though, the enclosure seems to be stackable! I'm going to try it hopefully this next week, then I'll get another roll or two of solder :D

If you want one iceisfun I think I have some acrylic extra or could work something out with the school's supplier...
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 06:48:09 am »

HAHA.. Yeah, I studied neuroscience as part of my university courses in computer vision and AI.   That was the course book at Berkeley back then.

Now it's the biggest book I have that raises the monitor to just the right height.

Yeah, it's the  "Art of Electronics"  of the neuro world.

UC Berkeley? - I ran the undergrad neurobiology lab course there (MCB 160L)  back in 1993-1996  before my career change.

Back on topic - some good ideas for solder spool holders here - I need to build myself one..

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 08:44:12 am »
I usually just put it in a draw with the draw open a jar.

that way i'm not pulling it over the workpiece, instead im pulling it from my side, if that makes any sence

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 09:51:22 am »

Yeah, it's the  "Art of Electronics"  of the neuro world.

UC Berkeley? - I ran the undergrad neurobiology lab course there (MCB 160L)  back in 1993-1996  before my career change.

Back on topic - some good ideas for solder spool holders here - I need to build myself one..

I did my undergrad at the University of Toronto back in 1983, but I was living and working in the bay area from 1997-2008.. while working there the company I was working for offered to pay for any courses we took if it was related to work, so I enrolled in UCB and was taking some classes in AI, but I never finished the program before I got laid off, so I decided to come back to Canada. The housing debacle was taking a hit on everyone and everything, it just seemed like it would be better in Canada so I came home, but lately I'm not sure if that was the right move after all.  I miss the good weather there :)

Offline andtfoot

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 10:03:41 am »
Ages ago, in a jiffy I drilled a hole in a block of wood and hammered a spare drumstick in. Lasted me quite a while actually.
These days I have one of the store-bought solder spool holders; it's a bit smoother...  :P

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 10:36:36 am »
My solder station came with a built in spool holder for solder, I tried it but reverted to my time tested prefered option, just lay the solder spool on the bench that way I don't have long lengths of solder trailing over to the work or have to cut of lengths of solder.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 01:04:19 pm »
Where's that shiny new Weller WX station!?
I do like that setup, especially the large scope front and center.  Do you happen to recall which model that is?

That was a photo before the new WX station arrived last week.  The Weller in the photo got moved back to the main bench.
The microscope is an Amscope: Amscope model SM-4TPZ.  I added a 5MP camera and LED ring light.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 01:11:27 pm »

Those look nice but I think it would be a pain to try to wind the solder back onto the rolls when they are stacked.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 01:20:49 pm »
My fav was a solder spool holder that would hang from an akro-bin hanging rail.  MY workbench had akro bin rails across the back so I kept all my misc stuff (flux, epoxy, swabs, solder wick, solder tips etc) up there where it was easy to reach and out of the way.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 02:09:23 pm »
I have the dual Hakko holder.  I've used a solder holder for years.  Recently, I went back to making a bundle of solder in a loop and just holding it in my hand.  Quick, simple and takes up less bench space.

Offline ben_r_

• Frequent Contributor
  • A Real Nowhere Man
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 03:04:38 am »
NICE! Some cool setups in here!
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 03:16:18 am »
Those look nice but I think it would be a pain to try to wind the solder back onto the rolls when they are stacked.
Good point.

I snip lengths of solder wire off instead, so didn't think of that.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 03:00:17 am »
My solution for my Hakko 936 is far from elegant but it is very functional.  The wood, 'T' brackets, corner brackets, screw and nuts came from the garage.  the solder guides are made from paper clips.  The syringe holds Orange Crush water based flux paste.  Ham operators are not cheap!  We are frugal and believe in recycling.   :-DD

Tom, NW0LF
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 03:28:13 am »
Orange Crush solder paste? Isn't that for plumbing? :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf