Author Topic: WOW, EPSON paperlab !  (Read 11894 times)

Offline 3roomlabTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
WOW, EPSON paperlab !
« on: January 25, 2016, 05:10:55 am »
check this out, garbage paper in, new paper out !
"PaperLab makes paper without the use of water. Ordinarily it takes about a cup of water to make a single A4 sheet of paper. Given that water is a precious global resource, Epson felt a dry process was needed."

amazing!
http://global.epson.com/newsroom/2015/news_20151201.html
pdf http://global.epson.com/newsroom/2015/pdf/151201.pdf

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
Re: WOW, EPSON paperlab !
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 05:17:23 am »
Energy is a precious resource too. I wonder how much of it is wasted to transform a dirty piece of paper into a clean one.

Maybe it is hooked up to the new solar powered roadways!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 05:26:24 am »
yea true. but in my part of the world, you have to understand, indonesia burns the forest to clear it for plantation of trees to make paper pulp. it is so severe the AIR index can force you to wear masks and stay indoors, and ppl have died of lung ailments. and none of the corporate entities take responsibility for it.

and for those who dont know, the legal system have been bribed so that nothing happens to the companies setting fire to the forests

the unknown i guess would be the binder chemicals, i do not suppose it could be worse then the ecological disaster in indonesia now

example of how large a fire we are talking about
https://62e528761d0685343e1c-f3d1b99a743ffa4142d9d7f1978d9686.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/84714/area14mp/image-20150611-11406-537zok.jpg
http://www.carbonbrief.org/indonesian-fires-now-on-a-par-with-brazils-total-annual-emissions
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:42:57 am by 3roomlab »

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 06:21:37 am »
ya, I'd have to agree on the paper pulp. those mills are smelly and disgusting. I lived in Camas Washington. There is a pulp mill there, and when the wind blows (and sometimes when it doesn't blow) the whole town stinks, hard to breathe.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 06:24:52 am »
Quote from: Epson
"Given that water is a precious global resource, Epson felt a dry process was needed."

Last time I looked, three quarters of the Earth was covered with water. I guess they really meant pure water, or something like that.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 06:58:16 am »
ya, I'd have to agree on the paper pulp. those mills are smelly and disgusting. I lived in Camas Washington. There is a pulp mill there, and when the wind blows (and sometimes when it doesn't blow) the whole town stinks, hard to breathe.
+1

There's one close to where I live as well, and damn does that thing stink. Lots of ground water contamination too (failed federal standards up until this last quarter in fact), as it's been in operation for more than 50 years as I understand it. Regardless, I'm sticking to bottled water.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 10:45:07 am »
amazing yeah but... where to put that machine? that looks pricey 6-digitish if not 7-digitish. we'll buy paper rim each month anytime, recycle where we can, burn the rest let the free energy recycling does it work. by that in 100 years i believe we've not reach anywhere near the price of this paperlab thing. the same time or more i believe to get back the investment considering how cheap a paper rim is from competitor in the factory...

Quote from: Epson
"Given that water is a precious global resource, Epson felt a dry process was needed."
Last time I looked, three quarters of the Earth was covered with water. I guess they really meant pure water, or something like that.
a machine that convert sea water into pure water at reasonable cost is much much more practical...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 12:27:47 pm »
yea true. but in my part of the world, you have to understand, indonesia burns the forest to clear it for plantation of trees to make paper pulp. it is so severe the AIR index can force you to wear masks and stay indoors, and ppl have died of lung ailments. and none of the corporate entities take responsibility for it.

and for those who dont know, the legal system have been bribed so that nothing happens to the companies setting fire to the forests

the unknown i guess would be the binder chemicals, i do not suppose it could be worse then the ecological disaster in indonesia now

example of how large a fire we are talking about
https://62e528761d0685343e1c-f3d1b99a743ffa4142d9d7f1978d9686.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/84714/area14mp/image-20150611-11406-537zok.jpg
http://www.carbonbrief.org/indonesian-fires-now-on-a-par-with-brazils-total-annual-emissions
Ummm... as your second link shows, Indonesian forests are burned to make room for palm oil plantations, not paper pulp. (Why would you burn the trees instead of pulping them? Makes no sense.)

Yes, the Indonesian fires are horrible on many levels, but in this case, paper production isn't to blame.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 01:49:49 pm »
Why would you burn the trees instead of pulping them? Makes no sense.
pulping takes ages and money and resources. burning them is free energy in days... the smoke went thousands of miles to neighbooring countries like ours, we got few days health hazard holidays... the trees are not suitable for paper after all i guess...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 12:28:02 pm »
That makes no sense at all. You can pulp damned near anything into paper. You wouldn't slash-and-burn to then plant trees to make pulp 10 years later, you'd pulp what's already grown now.

Again, they are burning because they don't want trees, they want farm land, mostly for oil palms.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 10:24:06 am »
i dont know what trees they burnt, but 1 of the company/culprit identified is "asia pulp and paper", they make my toilet rolls too, it makes me feel bad when pooping :P http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35153050
but if you read the indonesian version of the news, they managed to get an ex-chief judge to testify that the fires are due to natural causes. money talking here
and then there is the al jazeera investigation video, and this 1 is the eye opener as the reporter risk life to ask the ppl who burnt the trees. and they identified the burning done systematically with exact boundaries by people and not natural causes. so there is evidence, but mixed with politics, and judges talking about hot weather, nobody is going to get very far anytime soon

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:33:16 am by 3roomlab »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 11:04:05 am »
That makes no sense at all....Again, they are burning because they don't want trees, they want... oil palms.
ditto!
they make my toilet rolls too, it makes me feel bad when pooping :P
dont use toilet roll then, other abundant and more naturally approved, humanly safe cleaning agent are available. the poop isnt coming from far hazardous environment anyway...
but mixed with politics
thats why i dont give much hatred comments about things like this. when politics get involved... nonsense become sense... better find another job than taking care of this nonsense...

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 11:32:11 am »
Solution for the toilet paper issue: Install a bidet.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 04:31:50 pm »

Then you can recycle the toilet water to recycle paper in the traditional water based approach. Sure, the resulting paper* will have a yellow-brown hue to it (if it's red or black see a doctor immediately), but that's a small price to pay for saving the planet! Plus, by simply upping your fiber intake you can produce nice heavy weight paper!

*May contain nuts depending on diet.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 06:45:42 pm »
Then you can recycle the toilet water to recycle paper in the traditional water based approach.
i believe you dont get it... no paper roll no recycling nothing is needed, its just a bidet and H2O.. and "palm" oil if you are too allergistic.. about the yellowish thing, let it consumed by nature to be recycled back to the intestine...

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 02:18:35 am »

Then you can recycle the toilet water to recycle paper in the traditional water based approach.
i believe you dont get it... no paper roll no recycling nothing is needed, its just a bidet and H2O.. and "palm" oil if you are too allergistic.. about the yellowish thing, let it consumed by nature to be recycled back to the intestine...

I don't think you get it. Read my post again.

The whole idea behind the PaperLab is that it's a *dry* process, to save water. But you want to replace toilet paper (a dry process) with a bidet (which uses water). So, my joke is that we could recycle the bidet + toilet water to make recycled paper.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf