Author Topic: Wowstick cordless precision screwdriver  (Read 23278 times)

Offline ralphrmartinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
Wowstick cordless precision screwdriver
« on: November 03, 2015, 01:24:11 pm »
Has anyone here tried the Wowstick A1, a cordless precision screwdriver? It's quite pricey, so I'd like to know what the quality is like before I get one.

Offline jolshefsky

• Regular Contributor
    • Jason DoesItAll
Re: Wowstick cordless precision screwdriver
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 02:03:06 pm »
When I'm doing assembly of many screws, I've often thought about some kind of low-torque, high-speed driver to spin screws in fast. But I'm pretty sure I beat 100RPM using a technique of holding the hex-shaft of 1/4" bits and spinning them like a top between my fingers.

As such, I'm kind of like, "what's the point?" Without being able to set the torque, I'd hope it was at least fast—and it's not. I mean, think about it, at 100 RPM, an American 4-40 screw would take nearly 30 seconds to drive an inch (or M3 at 0.5mm thread pitch would take 30 seconds to drive 25mm).
May your deeds return to you tenfold.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 04:27:09 pm »
I'm not so sure a high speed is a great idea. If the screw gets cross-threaded, and you screw in too fast, you wreck everything before you even realise there's a problem.

And it would be unusual to drive an inch of thread. Normally it would go into the thickness of a nut , with a little sticking out the other side, not a whole inch.

Anyway, thanks for the comment.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 05:02:51 pm »
I was curious so I watched some videos...at least as long as I could.  :-DD If for no other reason than marketing to me as though I'm a complete idiot, I would avoid it. They did everything they could to mimic iPhone styling, right down to the ridiculous, wasteful packaging. If I had to guess based on experience, the vast majority of the cost has gone into looks but everything else from the bits to the motor and switches are bottom of the barrel garbage. The usefulness of such a tool seems dubious to begin with, but even if I just grant that it's useful, I would be absolutely shocked and amazed if this particular one is anything but a polished turd.

Someone with money to burn should send one to Dave for a test/tear down! I'd love to be proven wrong but I just have too much experience with stuff like this to take it seriously.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion. I'm actually kind of hoping you'll get one and report back because I'm kind of curious if it's actually useful for anything.

edit:
BTW, there are other ones available that I would guess are at least as the same quality, though not fancy, and they're well under $20. That seems a lot more reasonable for a cheap tool that's basically really only useful for slowly unscrewing tiny little screws. I would certainly never use one to install a small screw, unless it was a proper tool with real torque limiting.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 05:11:49 pm by John Coloccia »

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 05:27:31 pm »
I'm not so sure a high speed is a great idea. If the screw gets cross-threaded, and you screw in too fast, you wreck everything before you even realise there's a problem.
Depends on how many screws you need to drive. High speed with an adjustable torque adjustment/slip-clutch could be desirable. You can get these features on a mains electric screwdriver. The torque settings are typically much more sensitive and go much lower than on a hand drill and some have an autodrive on contact/pressure. For small electronics screws, you can get them with a 4mm hex socket, if you have that kind of bit set, already. They are super handy for high volume work. Probably overkill for most hobbyists.

I had one of these, which lists the same speed as the wowstick:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XZLTQO?psc=1
100rpm is very slow. I am not sure that a driver this slow really needs a rechargeable battery. It's certainly handy for an occasional screw. But if you have a lot to do, you will probably set it down and use anything else. Regular alkaline batteries last a long time, driving small screws.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:06:14 pm by KL27x »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 05:43:08 pm »
I have one of these. Feels crappy but I have used it for three years and it works really well. Excellent for screws in plastic.

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 05:59:17 pm »

I had one of these, which lists the same speed as the wowstick:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XZLTQO?psc=1
100rpm is very slow. I am not sure that a driver this slow really needs a rechargeable battery. It's handy for an occasional screw. But if you have a lot to do, you will probably set it down and use anything else. Regular alkaline batteries last a long time, driving small screws.

I have a couple of the General Tool 500 ones too, they were on sale at Lowes for $10.  I find myself using it very often for electronics repair, much more so than larger power screwdrivers ( I like this one BTW: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y74AU6?keywords=hitachi%20power%20screwdriver&qid=1446573414&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 )

The speed is slow, but still faster than manually turning it.  My main complaint is that it does not have a locking position so that you can't use it as a manual screwdriver too without striping the gears -- I've tried!  What I like about the Wowstation is: "Driven automatically in Efficient Zone,self-lock and driven by hand in Torque Zone ".  I may have to buy one.

I agree that the rechargeable aspect seems unnecessary and the packaging is a total waste.  These make the price much higher than it should be, around $30 IMHO.  I'd like to see the torque spec on this and the torque allowed in the locked position.

-katie

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 06:09:55 pm »
"Driven automatically in Efficient Zone,self-lock and driven by hand in Torque Zon
Sounds good, but I would like it to be faster.

IMO, there's a market for a small, cheap electric screwdriver with 1000rpm at very low torque. That way it wouldn't need an expensive motor, gearing, or torque limiter; it would just need to lock. Of course, as you suggested, you would torque the screw by hand and use the motor just to get the screw in/out. I suppose that if the motor were low enough in mass and had a simple cutout/clutch it might feasible.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:21:39 pm by KL27x »

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 06:10:17 pm »
From my experience the battery ones are too slow since if they make it run fast, they lose torque. I'd rather use a normal screwdriver than a cordless battery powered one.

If I have to do a lot of screws, I use a Hios CL4000 screwdriver (+ CLT-50 powersupply) I bought second hand. It has adjustable torque clutch which stops instantly rather than just slipping like the many cordless drill/screwdrivers available everywhere. The bit runs at 950rpm at hi, and 700rpm on lo. Not really compact or portable though.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 07:04:36 pm »
I used a Black and Decker clone cordless, as I did a lot of opening of equipment that used 40 M4 hex machine screws per cover. I made my own hex driver bit out of an old 1/4in hex spacer and a long 2.5mm hex key, that had the short side cut off and silver soldered into the brass. Still have it, though it is a lot shorter than original, as the end wore it would go into a bench grinder and have the worn 3mm ground off it.

Cordless went through a few battery packs, and I did have to replace the nylon gears in the gearbox with metal ones. B&D metal gears as a spare fitted perfectly, and while I was there I bought a drill from a guy who was complaining about the cost of a new stator, which was open circuit, si I bought it for the rejected quote cost. Was at the time a drill with the then new speed control trigger and reversing switch. took me 2 days to rewind the failed half of the stator and have a working drill. Still in the garage, and used quite often, the old non all plastic B&D stuff, not the later all plastic ones.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 07:12:45 pm »
OK, looks like I will get myself an 800 series one after that positive review. I can pick one up for $10 next time I am in China, and this looks the exact same one in the review:
http://world.taobao.com/item/45290547328.htm

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 07:53:05 pm »
I use a Ryobi 4v lithium powered screwdriver with a magnetic bit holder.  I set the torque range so I don't strip anything driving the screw in.  In my case, I have arthritis in my hands and it saves wear and tear on my hands.  Speed isn't a necessity for me, just something that makes my hands hurt less.  I have a part I am rebuilding for company equipment.  7 screws in and out and I have about 100 left to do.  It takes me about 15 minutes to remove and replace parts in a single unit.  Since I am replacing the same parts, there is plenty of repetitive motion.  I can't imagine running all those screws by hand.  If I can limit the screwing motion by using the driver, my hands hurt much less and I don't have to take meds that are hard on my kidneys and liver. 
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 10:41:14 pm »
When you're using machine screws, how do you get the screws started without cross threading them?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 12:54:43 pm »
When you're using machine screws, how do you get the screws started without cross threading them?

I start mine by hand.  A couple of turns for each screw and I am good to go.  I do all of the screws at once so I only pick up the Ryobi once.  The housings are aluminum and very easy to cross thread
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 01:38:06 pm »
I got one.  Not worth it.  Get the general instrument one from Amazon, and use a 3.7V lithium with an additional dummy cell so far is the best.  At 3V the speed is too low, at 3.7+1.2V, I burned up 2 of the motor (though it is supposed to be rated as a 5V motor).

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 08:21:07 pm »
I have a couple of the General Tool 500 ones too, they were on sale at Lowes for $10.  I find myself using it very often for electronics repair, much more so than larger power screwdrivers...

FYI, they are still $10 at Lowe's - and the nice thing about buying it there is that you can return it if you don't like it.

(Does anyone know if there's a #2 Philips bit that will fit the General 500?)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 08:41:15 pm »
A while ago I was looking at small power drivers, and bought a few, including the wankwowstick.
The problem with all of them is they are too slow. They're mostly designed around the false assumption that what you want in a small driver is a big driver, only smaller.
Big drivers are designed for high torque, for woodscrews, selftappers, and nyloc nuts on machine screws & bolts.
For larger machine screws & bolts with normal nuts, impact drivers are a faster alternative.
For small machine screws, the only reason to use a power driver is to get better speed - torque is simply not an issue as hand-torque is more than enough.

What you ideally want is something a similar shape and size to a normal non-powered  screwdriver, with a shaft that by default is locked, for final tighten or initial loosen, then a fast screw/unscrew with minimal torgue ( and hence low weight/small size) the to do the rest of the thread.
You also want an adjustable torque stop, and minimal rotational inertia, so 1/8" not 1/4" hex bit size.

I've yet to find something ideal, the closest I've found is the Panasonic EY-4710

This has a really good torque stop (stops dead, doesn't just bang against a limit, which is unusual), which will go low enough to do things like 3.5mm terminal blocks.
It is a little on the large size, and the top speed could do with being about 2x what it currently is. As it uses 1/4" hex bits, rotational inertia is slightly high for smaller screws, especially with a magnetic bit holder. The light is also pathetic, an the charger is huge and clunky. Still a very useful tool and the best dedicated power screwdriver I know of.

As for the Wowstick - complete and utter wank. Don't even think of wasting money on it. Stupidly slow, offers no noticeable benefit over a manual driver, no torque stop, no soft-start, charger is crap (contacts onto aluminium body by gravity, giving somewhat unreliable contact).
Some idiot is clearly trying to Apple-ise tools - if they had done a decent job of it it might justify the price, but no, they've just taken a turd and applied some polish and packaging with no improvement to the functionality.
If you want to spend money on a nice screwdriver, get the Panasonic. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:47:22 pm by mikeselectricstuff »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 11:25:40 pm »
I'd rather get a WIHA set. 

My problem with motorized drivers is you can't tell if the screw wasn't in properly, and the driver will just happily force it in without any effort.  Now you end up with a wonky screw at a diagonal.   

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 12:02:44 am »
I'd rather get a WIHA set. 

My problem with motorized drivers is you can't tell if the screw wasn't in properly, and the driver will just happily force it in without any effort.  Now you end up with a wonky screw at a diagonal.
Which is why you need a torque stop
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 01:06:10 am »

(Does anyone know if there's a #2 Philips bit that will fit the General 500?)

These bits are actually a fairly common size for small, cheap tools.  I have this set:

http://www.dx.com/p/precision-screw-drivers-toolkit-for-electronics-diy-45-piece-set-36203#.VlpOKvkaPhA

which includes a #2 Philips.  All these bits fit the General 500.  Low quality stuff but very handy!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:21:19 am by kwass »
-katie

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 01:57:16 am »
For small machine screws, the only reason to use a power driver is to get better speed - torque is simply not an issue as hand-torque is more than enough.
My thoughts, too.

The best electric screwdriver for small electronics screws and plastic housings et al, that I have used, is a mains screwdriver. Single speed, 1000 RPM, and a clutch that adjusts down to a feather.

For a cordless, the ones with all the right features just aren't small enough, yet, compared to a modern 2 li ion cell cordless drill. For a little more size/weight vs the screwdriver, you can get all that plus a proper chuck that can take any size bit and doesn't have any play. My favorite cordless screwdriver is exactly this kind of cordless drill. 2S li ion. 2 speed settings. On high it's around 800 rpm. Sensitive clutch. One-handed chuck with auto lock when stopped.

That said, it's now mostly a backup. I've gone one further and mostly use an even larger 3 cell li ion drill. It is still small enough to be handy but can handle anything my clunky 14V NiCad/Mh drills ever could. Variable speed, higher rpm, one-handed clutch and auto-lock. One downside is the clutch doesn't adjust down far enough for tiny screws. But the variable speed trigger works well enough that I don't miss it very often.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 02:16:50 am by KL27x »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 07:15:28 pm »
I've yet to find something ideal, the closest I've found is the Panasonic EY-4710

When I search for EY 7410 (I guess that's what you meant), I find two versions:
http://shop.panasonic.com/home-and-office/power-tools-and-ventilation-systems/power-tools/screwdrivers/EY7410LA1C.html
http://shop.panasonic.com/home-and-office/power-tools-and-ventilation-systems/power-tools/screwdrivers/EY7410LA2S.html

It seems like the spec on these are the same, yet there are quite a price difference (even bigger here in Norway), do anyone see what is the difference between these two?

Both have 1.5Ah battery, 21 stage auto shutoff clutch, two speeds, 1/4" chuick change chuck and so on..

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 08:03:44 pm »
When I search for EY 7410 (I guess that's what you meant), I find two versions:
http://shop.panasonic.com/home-and-office/power-tools-and-ventilation-systems/power-tools/screwdrivers/EY7410LA1C.html
http://shop.panasonic.com/home-and-office/power-tools-and-ventilation-systems/power-tools/screwdrivers/EY7410LA2S.html

It seems like the spec on these are the same, yet there are quite a price difference (even bigger here in Norway), do anyone see what is the difference between these two?

Looks like the more expensive one is a kit with charger, extra battery, and case.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:47:45 pm by edavid »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 08:43:29 pm »
ah, the "what's in the box" links does not work, but found an link on the cheapest, for more details, and it says "charging system not included", so that one is without charger also then.. crap..

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 09:37:46 pm »
A couple of months ago I bought the little Worx WX252 cordless driver here

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2383811.htm

It does get good reviews and I find it a useful tool for light duty stuff. The charger lead and connector is a bit flimsy and there are no controls for torque etc but it seems to be ideal for taking apart test equipment that uses torx screws :)

It also has a crude party trick in that it can slide/extend the bit on a built in adjustable rod and this actually works quite well.

However, I'm amazed it hasn't broken any tool tips yet because the start/stop torque is enough to really kick/jar the tool tip if it isn't seated correctly in the screw head. So the screw tools seem quite robust.

It would be useless for medium to heavy duty use though as it can't deliver a lot of torque. But I rate it highly for taking apart test gear that has lots of machine screws :)

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:39:47 pm by G0HZU »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf