Author Topic: Yet Another 936 Clone Review (Images)  (Read 16675 times)

Offline Sans0SerifTopic starter

Yet Another 936 Clone Review (Images)
« on: July 28, 2016, 10:35:19 am »
Hey there everyone!
I decided to pick up a cheap $48 USD 936 clone off AliExpress recently. These things are everywhere, varying in quality, but the reviews seemed to say that this one was quite good. It came with a few nice bits, like some solder, a solder sucker, spare heating element, 6 tips, etc.
You can check out the Ali page here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HAKKO-936-soldering-station-Electric-iron-A1321-ceramic-heating-element-lots-gift-as-photo-220V-110V/32404068867.html

This particular clone is obviously going for the straight copyright infrigement, using the Hakko logos and cloning the design to a T. The printing on the control board is a bit off in places, but it tries:

I've been using this station for a bit recently, and it works quite well. I'm using the chisel tip that came with it, around 1.5mm. The unit heats to 370C in around 13 seconds, which I'd say is quite good. Definitely better than the $20 Mitre 10 iron I was using before...

It comes with 3 conical tips of various sizes, a big hot knife tip, the small chisel I'm using, and one of those "well" style tips for surface mount.

The stand it comes with isn't too bad, it's metal at the very least. Obviously very light. It wouldn't be too bad if you put a couple lead weights in there, but I'd suggest grabbing a heavy stand with brass wool in it. The sponge is okay, it works, but it's not that great. Nor is it that great for the tips, especially these cheapo ones.

The sticker on the back of the unit almost looks genuine! "Made in Japan", yeah, sure...

Right, onto the inside of the unit!
Disassembly:

From the top. I would honestly say that this doesn't look too bad. Those connections look secure, and the wires looks reasonably tidy. There are a couple solder joints that aren't quite 100%, but most are pretty good. I wouldn't know enough about transformers to give any kind of statement on that. There's a fuse on that switch board, as usual.

Side view of the transformer. Date code and some Chinese characters there, if you're interested. This is obviously the 220V model (I'm in New Zealand), but you can request a 110V unit and the specific type plug for your country. Mine came with a New Zealand plug, as requested. No insulation on the pins though. As you can see, it uses the usual type of iron plug for the clones, and this specific iron has a collar to keep it secure on the plug.

And here's the other side. You can see the fuse on the switch board there, as well as a bit more of the transformer.
I hadn't removed the board itself, as it would've required desoldering those wires, and this is my only iron :P The Mitre 10 iron went in the bin a week ago!

Overall, I'd say this station is pretty good, especially when factoring in the price. It obviously won't beat a real Hakko, but it's more than enough for a first station, or an upgrade from a cheapo wall iron. The solder sucker it comes with works okay, but solder wick works much better. The unit's build quality is really good for a clone, in my opinion, apart from the small imperfections on the printing. It's got a fair bit of heft to it, too. If you're really interested in running this iron for a long time, I'd recommend:

Replacing the plug with a higher quality one.
Calibrate the station - the factory calibration is okay, but it's not fantastic.
Get better tips, genuine Hakko should work on it.

Other than that, there's not much else to say. The solder it comes with is alright, the tips aren't bad, and it heats quickly and makes good quality joints.
Thanks for reading! Let me know if you pick one of these up, I'd like to know how it goes for you.

High res images:

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:37:26 am by Sans0Serif »

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Yet Another 936 Clone Review (Images)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 01:49:37 pm »
Is there any heatsink on the triac?

Brendan
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 02:13:39 pm »
Thanks for doing this.  Surprised they still make copies of the older model.  Shows how well regarded it was.  Enjoy.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/hakko-936-(original-or-clone)/

http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/21715/hakko-936-fake/

Best Wishes,

Saturation

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 12:59:18 am »
Is there any heatsink on the triac?

Brendan
Looks like there isn't.

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 01:27:45 am »
Sans...easy enough to correct, but, I found too many issues with a 936 Clone I purchased.  Principally it's transformer was way underrated; they used nichrome wire heater and the insulation broke away from it exposing this to the metal of the iron tip.   At best the transformer, EI-66-32 is 35VA...see here.
 http://gzyongxiang.en.made-in-china.com/product/neXQZBvbZmlz/China-EI-Type-Transformer-EI66-32-.html

I gave up, made my own PCB and put in a bigger transformer,
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-596-world's-cheapest-soldering-station-yihua-936/msg708737/#msg708737
and purchased an OEM 907 iron...yeah a bit of overkill but works a treat, in fact I built 2.   You can buy proper 936 PCBs on fleabay.  Its also cheaper to buy a copy PCB one than to make one, but, hey where's the fun in that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Original-Design-Hakko-936-Soldering-Iron-Station-Controller-for-DIY-/261794344172
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:36:29 am by wasyoungonce »

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 01:35:16 am »
Yeah, I decided not to buy one of those Yihua stations. These are a bit more expensive, though.

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 01:38:23 am »
You unit would work ok...It'll just be a little slow on heating. See if you can fit a small metal heatsink for the triac or just use it till it dies..which may be never.   Yes making one is more expensive but the performance is chalk and cheese.

I can send you eagle PCB CAD files if you ever wanted to do so.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:44:49 am by wasyoungonce »

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 01:44:57 am »
IMO, ~14 seconds to heat is fine for me.

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 02:50:18 am »
IMO, ~14 seconds to heat is fine for me.

+1.  Several of my irons take 20 seconds or more to initially heat up. It's only an issue if you use auto-off. I use a delayed setback so it is only a few seconds to recover if I've not used the iron for a period of time.

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 03:59:00 pm »
I gave up, made my own PCB and put in a bigger transformer, and purchased an OEM 907 iron...yeah a bit of overkill but works a treat, in fact I built 2.   You can buy proper 936 PCBs on fleabay.  Its also cheaper to buy a copy PCB one than to make one, but, hey where's the fun in that.

Can you supply the source and part number for the transformer and 907 iron you decided to go with?
What other parts did you use to put it together, or did you take the IC's etc from an existing board?
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 07:00:47 pm »
FYI the 936 or the 888 don't take 14 sec to reach operating temperature from room temperature; its more like 30 sec or more, depending on the ambient.  Its always been that way.  Once at working temperature response can be fast.

BC AD2950: 6 seconds
Metcal 5000: 12 seconds
Hakko 936: 43 seconds

https://www.element14.com/community/message/35322/l/re-build-your-own-temperature-controlled-soldering-station#35322
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 12:20:29 am »
Can you supply the source and part number for the transformer and 907 iron you decided to go with?
What other parts did you use to put it together, or did you take the IC's etc from an existing board?

Yep no problem...I'm not at home atm will be probably tomorrow I'll do it then.  I used all new ICs and parts...but you can order a copy of the control PCB...linked above and it is exactly as the OEM.  But I changed things like put in cartridge fuses etc

Brendan

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 12:29:11 am »
Sans0Serif
Please make a photo ot the PCB. I like the safety transformer with an insulator between the windings.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 03:12:42 am »
@saturation
I probably should have specified, it takes 14 seconds or so to reach 370C/700F.

The following users thanked this post: saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 10:40:26 am »
If so, Sans0Serif  your station beats both the original 936 and 888 easily, they'll reach that temp from ~25C ambient in over 30sec.  Enjoy.

@saturation
I probably should have specified, it takes 14 seconds or so to reach 370C/700F.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 10:42:10 am »

Ok not at home atm but the transformer I used was this (you need to cut away the original 936 case mounting posts and remove the transformer frame as well as use your own mounting posts and spreader doubler to re-inforce the case for this transformer mounting). 
http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/chassis-mounting-transformers/0504060/

Its overrated, 75VA, you can get away with any 24V, 50VA transformer.
http://au.rs-online.com/web/c/power-supplies-transformers/transformers/chassis-mounting-transformers/?searchTerm=transformer#esid=4294958338&applied-dimensions=4293492413,4293498528,4294334502,4294569177,4294569196,4294569206,4294569527,4294569594

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 04:02:45 pm »
Its overrated, 75VA, you can get away with any 24V, 50VA transformer.

I've done the math and you spent shitloads and ended up with a clone 936 with a superior transformer. If you brought a genuine handle for the first clone you made you probably put close to $300 into it after all the shipping and misc parts. Considering a Hakko FX-888D locally is about $180 plus shipping that is one expensive beast.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 04:10:46 pm »
I have a Hako fake too. It#s the Yihua 16$ station from Hobbyking and it pretty much sucks. But when I bought it, I already had a JBC. I just wanted to see the quality of the station myself.

For a good soldering iron, I recommend this one: http://www.banggood.com/TS100-Digital-OLED-Programable-Interface-DC-5525-Soldering-Iron-Station-Built-in-STM32-Chip-p-984214.html.

A friend of mine has it, and he compared it to a a JBC station (not sure of the model) but it was the only thing feeling better than the TS100.
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 06:57:13 pm »
That banggood solder is very nice,

Do they really works well ? I'm thinking in try one

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 07:52:59 pm »
I personally don't have one, but my friend uses is daily with either a rechargeable battery for quad copters or with a power supply. He is very pleased. He never reported any problems.
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 11:03:34 pm »

I've done the math and you spent shitloads and ended up with a clone 936 with a superior transformer. If you brought a genuine handle for the first clone you made you probably put close to $300 into it after all the shipping and misc parts. Considering a Hakko FX-888D locally is about $180 plus shipping that is one expensive beast.

Not true....I built qty 2!  Cost way more :o

Also wanted a crapload of spares....I use them a lot.  The other thing was that I have an older Royel de-solder iron (and a handfull of tips) that runs nicely from these stations (I calibrated one station for this).   I just purchased a small vac pump/foot switch.....best de-soldering iron I've ever had.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:14:54 am by wasyoungonce »

Offline Srbel

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics engineer
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 05:19:42 am »
I can buy Baku BK-936D for 25 euros, new.

http://www.ifix.rs/index.php?route=product/product&path=69_70&product_id=55

Is that also a clone of Hakko? Is it any good?
I mean, do heater and tips fail often, or do they last a good amount of time?
Can I use original Hakko tips with it?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf