Products > Other Equipment & Products

Yet another case of rebranding and cheapness

(1/2) > >>

Yolk:
Below is a photo of a Vesubio soldering gun,it's a very popular brand in argentina that goes back as 1980 i believe.
Also below is a photo of a weller soldering iron.
I know that things like these happen everywhere,but i dont believe that it's fair for the consumer,buying something that bears the brand of "made in argentina" yet it's using the same case as weller. (they're probably both supplied from china anyway)

What are you thoughts?

Edit: Bonus track-someone with a d650 fetch me a picture without the case,i'll get a D3 and tear it apart so we can compare.

CatalinaWOW:
Not necessarily dishonest.  Weller could have licensed the design.  Even sold them the shell parts since the mold would be one of the expensive bits to starting production.  Add a locally sourced transformer core, coil, tip holder and power cord (all parts that require relatively little and low cost tooling) and you are down to arguing about the trigger/switch which as you say is probably source from China for both the US and Argentine version.

ferdieCX:
Already in 1968, you could buy Vesubio soldering guns from Eneka in Uruguay and Argentina.
The shell was made of bakelite.

CatalinaWOW:
As I remember, Weller irons were made with Bakelite at roughly that era.  I know that their newer ones are no longer Bakelite, presumably some thermoset plastic.

Without going through huge volumes of records (which may have been destroyed in the intervening 50+ years) or finding someone who was there and willing to talk we will probably never know whether this was a licensing deal or just plain rip off copying.

ferdieCX:
The Weller and Vesubio soldering guns made from Bakelite look like twins.
Interesting is, that in the 60's you could buy in Uruguay Vesubio and Wen soldering guns, but I don't remember to have seen Weller.
In 1954, Weller sued Wen for patent infringement.
Anyway, a soldering gun was at that time out of the economic reach of a 10 year old kid. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version