Author Topic: YH-992DA Hot Air Rework Teardown  (Read 12607 times)

Offline UberSteveTopic starter

• Contributor
YH-992DA Hot Air Rework Teardown
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:31:22 pm »
Hi All,

(My first post. Long time viewer of the eevblog YT channel and the recent SMD video prompted me to make this post!)

Just bought one of these cheapies off eBay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360557978014?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_11525wt_1250

I'd heard a few stories about the poor assembly of some of these rework stations, so in good EEVblog spirit, I pulled it apart to inspect the assembly and make sure it wasn't going to kill me or burn my house down!  ;)

Despite the ad saying it has a Sumsung controller, it does in fact have a Samsung controller, in case you were wondering...  :P

I've only really used the hot-air part of the unit, but so far so good. I don't really have time to give it a full review, but post up any questions and i'll be happy to answer.

I'll also be sure to post back if it shits itself!

-Steve

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: YH-992DA Hot Air Rework Teardown
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 06:16:54 pm »
As with all Yihua stations are you using it in a hot or cold climate? If you are using in a hot climate you might find the "heater" might have failed, nah.
The TRIAC repeatedly overheated

And yes, the pump does really draw 30-40 watts if you're wondering  :P Just look at that big old bruiser

Offline Gid101

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 06:02:20 am »
Hey, sorry about digging up an old post but I thought it would be better to reuse rather then start a new topic.

So I have a small cell phone repair shop and one of my technicians asked me about getting a solder station for them so they can start fixing charge ports on the phones. Now I have no experience in soldering so I'm more or less learning everything from scratch as fast as I can. I've been hunting for a multifunction station that won't destroy my wallet when I ran across this little guy. I like how it has a selectable temperature heat gun and iron in one nice little (easy to setup and use) package.

-My question is how well put together is this unit? I want something that's going to last at least a few years.

-Is there another product or brand that I should be looking at in the $200-300 price range?  Brands like Hakko and Weller look like they have amazing products but $1800-2000 is out of the question for the time being. I want to make sure this is something that will be profitable before putting out that kind off cash.

-To the OP or others who have this unit, has it been reliable? And is there a healthy selection of aftermarket/OEM parts for it? (maintenance, irons, etc...)

Any Info or suggestions would be great!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:06:45 am by Gid101 »

Offline laptopmd

• Swiss Microsoldering
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:28:12 pm »
I am using an Yihua 995D+ station for over a year now and i am very happy with it , even if someone will hate chinese tools.

The management software is very user friendly and the temperature is really precise ! I have tested with thermocouple and it really stay between +1 -1 °C
Never had any problem, and i am now buying the YH-992DA as my second station because it use the same interface that i know well now.

Spare parts easily available throug yihua store or ebay, and it is compatible with Hakko tips (i use hakko tips on my one)
My youtube channel : YT Davide Menegalli
My website : Swiss Microsoldering

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 02:41:23 pm »
So I have a small cell phone repair shop and one of my technicians asked me about getting a solder station for them so they can start fixing charge ports on the phones. Now I have no experience in soldering so I'm more or less learning everything from scratch as fast as I can.
If they already have the experience, use it. Discuss it with them, make them feel valued employees (rather than mushrooms that are naively given equipment that doesn't work).

Jointly set the parameters, and let them decide what's best for them.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:55:47 pm »
Sorry, edited post, didn't realise it was a necro of a necro!
Doh, sorry again.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:57:18 pm by Yago »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf