Author Topic: Yihua 898BD+ Soldering Station Review  (Read 101697 times)

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Yihua 898BD+ Soldering Station Review
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 04:04:33 pm »
This is a most excellent review and comparison! Thanks for making this available and your charts.  Its a good way to compare these stations with newer stations like the FX888 or the WES51.  Similar curves to yours can be found in the archives for some solder stations I've posted including Metal and JBC.

Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum and here there is my small contribution. [snip]
--*** Merry Christmas to everybody ***--

Fabio.

Thank you very much, but now I realize I have used test conditions that are not
"standard".
Often I needed good temperature recovery after heavy joints and usually
I work at 320°C or less so I tested that way .
My problem is a temperature datalogger that I dont' have and the peaktech returned
to it's original shape, I neet it for capacitors and inductors :)
Maybe in future If I'll have a logging thermometer I'll make better tests, also
on the hot air part of the YIhua, I dont' trust the display indication, I suspect
it's fake so one day or another I'll repeat some test :)

Fabio.
Fabio Eboli.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 05:29:16 pm »
No worries, Fabio, its fairly easy to interpolate your data to more standard manufacturer graphs.  Nevertheless, even with possible variation in accuracy of equipment & measurement variation, the shape of the curves and response suggests the data you have is good and can easily be compared to other graphs stored on the archives.

I had to do mine manually, and did not have to time to provide a graph as you did. 

This is a most excellent review and comparison! Thanks for making this available and your charts.  Its a good way to compare these stations with newer stations like the FX888 or the WES51.  Similar curves to yours can be found in the archives for some solder stations I've posted including Metal and JBC.

Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum and here there is my small contribution. [snip]
--*** Merry Christmas to everybody ***--

Fabio.

Thank you very much, but now I realize I have used test conditions that are not
"standard".
Often I needed good temperature recovery after heavy joints and usually
I work at 320°C or less so I tested that way .
My problem is a temperature datalogger that I dont' have and the peaktech returned
to it's original shape, I neet it for capacitors and inductors :)
Maybe in future If I'll have a logging thermometer I'll make better tests, also
on the hot air part of the YIhua, I dont' trust the display indication, I suspect
it's fake so one day or another I'll repeat some test :)

Fabio.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline cybergibbons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 10:51:38 am »
I've ordered one of these as well - maybe a bit more expensive than the cheapest 852D clone, but seems much better. Time will tell!

Offline willd1971Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Labtronix
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 11:05:16 pm »
Hi guys,

One of my customers recently purchased this unit and has been trying to rework fairly large BGAs with some difficulty.  I don't really get into that kind of thing myself - sots and msops do it for me!  Does anyone here have any experience reworking larger components with this unit?

Thanks for sharing in advance :D

William
www.labtronix.co.uk

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 07:21:45 am »
Hi guys,

One of my customers recently purchased this unit and has been trying to rework fairly large BGAs with some difficulty.  I don't really get into that kind of thing myself - sots and msops do it for me!  Does anyone here have any experience reworking larger components with this unit?

William
www.labtronix.co.uk
I did a BGA , it's no problem really , either 1) you splash out on a BGA nozzle . 2) keep waving the hot air around , everytime you hear a small pop that's the solder ball melting .

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 11:22:45 am »
Hi guys,

William
www.labtronix.co.uk
I did a BGA , it's no problem really , either 1) you splash out on a BGA nozzle . 2) keep waving the hot air around , everytime you hear a small pop that's the solder ball melting .
I hope that's not also the chip substrate delaminating from trapped moisture :o

Offline cybergibbons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 12:06:59 pm »
I've not tried BGA in my home lab, but I did work in the test facility next door to a production facility, where the technician needed to rework largish BGA packages. So I've seen it done and know how it's meant to be done.

I think it's pretty much essential to use a board preheater for any BGA of size - you need to get the board as hot as possible without risk of damage before using the hot air to just tip the solder over the edge.

One other thing that is really key is that you need to clamp the board - any bend or flex and as soon as the solder melts, the package will come off the board even more.

Is the person trying to fix Xboxes or Playstations?

BTW, I received the package today - very impressed at the build quality. Not used it yet.

Offline cybergibbons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 10:16:59 pm »
It seems like an excellent product. It's solid, looks safe, and works as expected. The temperature control is pretty good - I can't make any comment on the accuracy of the temperature, but it seems consistent on a given setting for both the hot air and the iron. The fan is quiet at all speeds.

There is maybe one exception to this - the moulded 13A plug has a very loose fuse cover. I thought fuses needed to be in a carrier i.e. if you undo the cover, it pulls the fuse out with it.

• Regular Contributor
    • Labtronix
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 06:47:45 am »
Hello Cybergibbons... thanks for comments, I'll have a look at the power lead later - I've not noticed an issue previously, but must admit I haven't been so concerned with that end of the power lead till now!

William
www.labtronix.co.uk

• Regular Contributor
    • Labtronix
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 06:59:44 am »
Hi Dave.S the hot air heating element I supply does indeed come with replacement mica sleeve.

William

Offline cybergibbons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 11:04:14 pm »
Hello Cybergibbons... thanks for comments, I'll have a look at the power lead later - I've not noticed an issue previously, but must admit I haven't been so concerned with that end of the power lead till now!

Just to follow up on this - I thought that the plug was a bit odd, as most (all bar two out of almost thirty) have captive fuse carriers i.e. when I pull out the cover, the fuse comes with it:

However, I do have a couple of the other style that have been provided with European manufactured goods:

It just seems that the fuse with the Yihua is narrower than most fuses, so the cover comes away more easily. It doesn't come away during normal use and is perfectly safe.

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2012, 02:26:44 pm »
just a quick post to add that i'm another satisfied customer.

Quick reply on emails and product is 100% as described in this post.

Looks like excellent value for money to me!
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Offline quantumfall

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 03:13:11 pm »
I have this unit purchased from Labtronix,.

I had first class service, good communication when I had a minor problem with the soldering iron and it was replaced straight away.

I did not have to return the other iron which saved hassle and postage.  Really good genuine service.

Thanks William.

Offline babyhanzo

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2012, 03:56:47 pm »
I didn't purchased from Labtronix,.
But my Iron have an issue and with manual it is hard to trouble shoot. Maybe someone can help me. My replacement iron I got from Ebay heat up non stop, but tempeture at 6 and 7 only. It heat so much that metal tube around the ceramic also glow red. The ristance for pin 1 and 2 show 15ohm and 4 and 5 show 2.5ohm.
If there something wrong with the unit or am I using the wrong replacement Iron? The blow gun side work fine.

>>>>>
I had first class service, good communication when I had a minor problem with the soldering iron and it was replaced straight away.

>>>

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2012, 05:33:33 pm »
Either 2 pins are totally wrong ... sorry you got a dud
Oops. I forgot it's 24-27V
15ohms most likely the sensor
2.5ohms = 24V*2.5= 9.6amps ... i don't think the transformer can supply so much eh? I think something's shorted to mains

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:45:22 pm by T4P »

Offline babyhanzo

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2012, 04:51:36 am »
Like I said I bought the replacement iron from ebay. The plug fit the 898d, it heat up but does not stop heating. The temperature display only  6-7 degree.  The heating element they included was this a1322. Attached is a picture. I tried putting a resistors to get the sensor to 45 ohm. For 1-2 seconds it show 90 degree.
Last night I switch the 2 ohm To the 1 and 2 pins the wire touching the board started smoking and turn red. The heating is 15 ohm. Can someone tell me the ohm reading on their iron? I don't,then know. If my workstation is broken.

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2012, 08:55:06 am »
the Yihua 898BD i got from william has a 6 pin connector, not 5

if done a quick check of the R of the tip and that's 3.7 ohm, the sensor is for the moment 50 ohm

you have the doc's to check the tip, so if the tip is ok (and has the correct cabling...) then the problem is at the station...
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Offline babyhanzo

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2012, 07:46:09 pm »
maybe the Bd is different from the one I have 898D+ (5 pin for iron). This picture is one similar to what I have execpt the Iron.
Pin #3 is hook to the ground (spring thing around the heater). I tested the Ohm for the tip and pin 3 is 2 ohm.
I might have wrong iron since the sensor is the wrong ohm, but does not rule out the main part still might have issue.

Offline Epareja

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 04:54:32 am »
Hello babyhanzo,

I have the same unit as yours and my iron got very red but the temperature kept at 60-61 degrees. I bought another iron but the problem persist so it's the mother board.

Did you finally found a solution for your problem?

Thank you very much.

Ernesto Pareja

Offline icpart

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2013, 09:08:13 pm »
Like I said I bought the replacement iron from ebay. The plug fit the 898d, it heat up but does not stop heating. The temperature display only  6-7 degree.  The heating element they included was this a1322. Attached is a picture. I tried putting a resistors to get the sensor to 45 ohm. For 1-2 seconds it show 90 degree.
Last night I switch the 2 ohm To the 1 and 2 pins the wire touching the board started smoking and turn red. The heating is 15 ohm. Can someone tell me the ohm reading on their iron? I don't,then know. If my workstation is broken.
Hi babyhanzo.
I have similar to yours soldering station Best 898D+ with cheapest Nichrom-Iron heating element, so you are bought wrong heating element which is ceramic heating element. Discussed here  Yihua 898BD+ also use these Hakko's a1322 ceramic heater. Also temperature measuring sensors used in both heating elements is different. In Nichrom heater is used thermocouple sensor, while in Hakko element is used thermistor for temperature measurement. Therefore your soldering station can't measure properly temperature and show only 6-7 degree on display.

dflatfrog

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2013, 02:32:46 am »
Hello, I'm new to this forum. Hoping someone can help.

I recently bought a WEP 898D, but temperature up button is not working, nothing is happens. It's going to cost me $15 to ship it back to the seller. Wondering if anyone has an idea of what is wrong.

Thank you.

Offline icpart

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2013, 11:02:50 am »
Check soldering of tactile switch on pcb. Is possible to be not properly soldering or defect switch. My Best 898D which i think is the same as yours wep is another Yihua clone. When I bought my soldering station I also had the problem with fan control. It didn't work at all. The prroblem was that some Chinese guy or girl had forgotten to solder a 4.3k resistor on pcb. But as always the put QC passed sticker for quality control  passed :-DD
Also if someone is interesting in custom made MCU control for these chinese soldeing station i found some great threads in another Russian electronics forum radiokot.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2013, 12:13:10 pm »
Open it up and post some pictures.

It can be something as simple as the button not being soldered properly on the board, or maybe they forgot to solder a resistor that's inline with the button and limits the current going to the controller.

Some pictures may help point out to you what's out of place or what looks faulty.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2013, 01:19:59 pm »
Yes,  please post the link, I'd be interested to see what they've done.

http://radiokot.ru/lab/controller/

Check soldering of tactile switch on pcb. Is possible to be not properly soldering or defect switch. My Best 898D which i think is the same as yours wep is another Yihua clone. When I bought my soldering station I also had the problem with fan control. It didn't work at all. The prroblem was that some Chinese guy or girl had forgotten to solder a 4.3k resistor on pcb. But as always the put QC passed sticker for quality control  passed :-DD
Also if someone is interesting in custom made MCU control for these chinese soldeing station i found some great threads in another Russian electronics forum radiokot.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline icpart

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2013, 02:15:22 pm »
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:17:05 pm by icpart »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf